• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Install Storage/DVD ROM/WLAN drivers HP not seeing .......

I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 7. The problem I am having is that during OS install the pc asked me to install the drivers for the storage device. Now the BIOS does see the Maxtor Diamondmax 16 ATA HDD as it is listed in the boot sync and I was able to format and partition the HDD. Now all of a sudden the BIOS does not for some reason see the DVD ROM. There is also no option to boot from the USB. What do I do from here to get 1) Driver installed for DVD ROM 2) driver installed for Disk Drive 3) Driver installed for WLAN. After I get the needed drivers installed I should be able to complete install of OS. Any help would be much appreciated as I have been working on a fix for the last 4 days and am at a loss.

Is the reason you attempting a clean install due to hdd/dvd rom issues you were having beforehand?
If so, The issues may involve a faulty motherboard/sata controller/hdd/dvd rom.

If the hardware is faulty your only reasonable recourse is to replace it, unless you have the knowledge and skill to repair it.

I'd advise you try the following:
1. If you have recently been in your tower, make sure all connections are firmly in place.
2. If you have no intention of recovering data, remove all formatting from HDD(you could use GParted Live cd to do this.)
3. Check your bios settings. Make sure your boot order has usb and cd boot before hdd.
4. Attempt install again, Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Are you watching a diagnostic style bios or one of those yuppy "COMPANY NAME" bios screens then just not seeing dvd boot option post bios?
If you are seeing a company name during the early boot stages you need to change that so you can see what your computer actually detects.
You should consider trying your dvd drive on another computer, Fact is hardware goes bad.

Reactions: palmtree5
Upvote 0
Is the reason you attempting a clean install due to hdd/dvd rom issues you were having beforehand?
If so, The issues may involve a faulty motherboard/sata controller/hdd/dvd rom.

If the hardware is faulty your only reasonable recourse is to replace it, unless you have the knowledge and skill to repair it.

I'd advise you try the following:
1. If you have recently been in your tower, make sure all connections are firmly in place.
2. If you have no intention of recovering data, remove all formatting from HDD(you could use GParted Live cd to do this.)
3. Check your bios settings. Make sure your boot order has usb and cd boot before hdd.
4. Attempt install again, Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Are you watching a diagnostic style bios or one of those yuppy "COMPANY NAME" bios screens then just not seeing dvd boot option post bios?
If you are seeing a company name during the early boot stages you need to change that so you can see what your computer actually detects.
You should consider trying your dvd drive on another computer, Fact is hardware goes bad.

Thx for the reply 7Priest7 I apologize for not getting back sooner, have been tied up since original posting. The reason for the clean install is I was givin this tower by a friend HP 533W in which she had left all of her personal info, pics, software etc and she was also using XP for her OS.Also there seem to be some sporadic lag and not sure what that was causing that but again thought it best just to wipe the slate clean. I have all the Windows 7 OS software versions so I wanted to upgrade. I figured a clean install would be the best to wipe out everything on the HDD which are hooked up via ATA/IDE connections. Unfortunately I did not burn the drivers to disk before wiping storage. I am a noob when it comes to computers I will admit but not totally ignorant to the functions and operations of the PC. The HDD drive is needing the drivers cause I (don't tell anyone :eek:) uninstalled all the HDD drivers when I was attempting to uninstall only a duplicate.

As far as BIOS goes its a ASUS/Award BIOS version 3.17 Core version 6.0 MOBO is an outdated P4G533-LA. I will be doing some upgrades here soon but need for right now just to get the PC back up and running. The BIOS when going to set the boot sequence lists the Optical Drive as NONE and does not list the USB as an option at all. it is not in the list of attached hardware. The DVD drive was working when I first tried to install the OS and like I said was able to format and partition the drive. I would prefer to connect the HDD to MOBO via SATA connections but figure I will wait till I get another motherboard and some actual SATA disk drives rather than converting them. This PC I am on now is my roommates and a total POS so unfortunately I have no other pc up and running to test the DVD drive. I am kinda at a loss as far as how to install drivers if I can't use the Disc drive or the USB?

It is 3 am here in Texas and I am going to go get some sleep now and will be back on in the morning to check posts. Thx again 7Priest7 for your assistance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones