• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installation Unsuccessful!?

I noticed this problem last night. I go to install an app (I've tried this with a few different apps), and it will download just fine, but installation is unsuccessful. I am able to update the apps that I already have on my phone, I just can't get any new ones. I've tried clearing my market app cache, and I've also tried installing them with my SD card unmounted. Does anyone have a solution, or a phone number I can call? I have a Motorola Cliq through T-Mobile, and everything is up to date on it.

trying downloading an app in apk format to your phone then try installing it with a file manager like astro (granted you already have something of the sort)

that'll at least tell us if it's an issue with your phone or an issue with the market itself.

Have you tried looking for the dreaded smdl2tmp1.asec file in the .android_secure folder?

Upvote 0
When I mount my phone to my comp to look for those files, they can't be found. This is why I figured a reformat would take care of it. Is this not the case? As far as apk format, I don't know much about the 'behind the scenes' of phones and formats, so I'm not sure how to go about doing that. It was suggested in another topic that it could be that my OS is not the same version as the apps I am trying to install, but I can't update my OS.... again I say UGH!!

Upvote 0
When I mount my phone to my comp to look for those files, they can't be found. This is why I figured a reformat would take care of it. Is this not the case? As far as apk format, I don't know much about the 'behind the scenes' of phones and formats, so I'm not sure how to go about doing that. It was suggested in another topic that it could be that my OS is not the same version as the apps I am trying to install, but I can't update my OS.... again I say UGH!!

I too have a cliq with the 2.1 update installed. It had a few nagging issues until I did a master reset. Since then it's been great.

For APK's type it into google...so, lets say you want the app ringdroid. You would type "ringdroid apk" into google and search it. the results should have places to download the apk. Once its downloaded It will appear in the folder download once you select it through astro, or es file manager it will bring up the option to install it.

Upvote 0
When you go to Manage Applications and look at the Market app, where the uninstall tab usually is, does it give the option to uninstall updates.

Also look for Market update and clear both cache and data. Same goes for the actual Market app. You only mentioned clearing cache. I'd clear data as well if you haven't already.

Upvote 0
No, there is no option to uninstall the updates, and there is also no button to clear data under Market. I've cleared the data under Home, and that has not helped either. I think I am going to go do a factory reset and see if that helps any.

As far as the APK, I take it I need to find a download manager? Since I just use the Market, and cannot download an alternative, I am not sure how to go about doing this. I will figure it all out after I do my reset. This is all just frustrating.

I'll keep you all updated, thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones