• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Installing Custom Rom (StarWars Clean) stuck at "Mount System and Data"

DROIDing

Android Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2010
Hi, I am on #7 below installing my first-ever custom rom. What does it mean to Mount Sytem and Data (double check both are 'MOUNT')?

Also, are the steps AFTER that done while the phone is turned on as normal (I've already wiped both the cache and the data)? THANKS! :)

Install Instructions - All ROMs!
  1. Download and place ROM on SD Card​
  2. Reboot into Recovery​
  3. Create Backup​
  4. Mount System​
  5. Wipe Cache -You may choose not to wipe but MAY have problems​
  6. Wipe Data - You may choose not to wipe but MAY have problems​
  7. Mount System and Data - Yes double check that both are MOUNT
  8. Install Zip From SD Card​
  9. Choose Zip From SD Card​
  10. Select your ROM​
  11. Yes - Install​
  12. Wipe Cache Again - You may choose not to wipe but MAY have problems​
  13. Wipe Data Again - You may choose not to wipe but MAY have problems​
  14. Perform a Factory Reset through Android - Clears issue and Battery manager!​
  15. Reboot​

Bootstrap is pretty vital. It allows you to do backups and restores. Most importantly it allows you to install ROMs and other zips.

Ok, thanks, sounds like I definitely need it. So this will remedy the original question of

1. Mount System and Data - Yes double check that both are MOUNT
I'll look for Bootstrap to download on Marketplace or XDA, and then try to continue with the ROM Install.

Lastly... ever since I wiped system date and system cache last night completing the initial few steps of the ROM install, MY CAMERA WON'T WORK (or camcorder) at all :(

Upvote 0
That's interesting. How did you go about wiping them? Once you get bootstrap and install a ROM you will be good to go. If not you can download Fission ROM Manager. It contains add ons such as Media packages such as Camera,Music,Gallery.

Last night when I booted into Recovery mode by holding 'X' and the power button until the exclamation point/Android popped up, that screen allowed me two choices: Wipe Data, and Wipe Cache. I selected both, in order, cache being first, and then once I hit the sticking point since I don't have Bootstrap, I gave up for the evening and started my phone as normal and re-set up my emails and drop box/faceook accounts etc.

But... my camera and video camera no longer work... the 'clickity-click' sound happens like the shutter is opening and activating, but then the program closes and my home screen pops up, every time.

I do have the ROM (Clean Rom) on my SD card, I just pasted it there after I downloaded it to my Netbook last night, but I never activated or selected it, so I don't think that would/should make any difference. I don't know though.

Upvote 0
I would go to Settings>Privacy> and do a Factory Reset.

Ohhh-kayyyy (slumps down in chair with scowl on face) I guess.

Haha! ;) Dangit, I don't want to do another reset, is what I did last night (wipe cache and wipe data) different than a factory reset?

Since my phone is rooted with SuperOneClick, even when I do a factory reset, it stays rooted, right (I'm almost 100% sure of this).

Oh, I also see you're running Fission, is this the "Clean" (not Super Clean) ROM I'm trying to install? That's awesome if so, since you're in this thread and helping! :)

EDIT: Just did it now, thanks for the tip... it is currently resetting.
EDIT 2: Factory Reset finished... must have been different than simply wiping cache and data, because I had to call the Verizon number to activate it this time, which I didn't have to do before. I am crossing my fingers my camera will work once again... if not, I'm going to uninstall the file on my SD card for the "Clean ROM"

Upvote 0
I don't understand how you managed to disable your camera with only wiping data and cache. Get Koush's Droid 2 boostrap app by googling it or grab the paid version off market. I would SBF back to normal state since your having some hardware issues. If you don't deel like doing that, just get Fission and follow the install steps(similar to the ones you posted) see what you think.

Reactions: DROIDing
Upvote 0
I don't understand how you managed to disable your camera with only wiping data and cache. Get Koush's Droid 2 boostrap app by googling it or grab the paid version off market. I would SBF back to normal state since your having some hardware issues. If you don't deel like doing that, just get Fission and follow the install steps(similar to the ones you posted) see what you think.

If only I knew how the camera got wiped! I needed it yesterday, of all days, of course.

What do you mean by "SBF" back to normal? Whatever that is, I'm sure it's what I REALLY want to do, because everything seems so crippled and messed up now, I even did a factory reset that made me call the re-activation phone number for programming, and still... no camera function (and Face Book + other apps disappeared out of no where).

Upvote 0
If only I knew how the camera got wiped! I needed it yesterday, of all days, of course.

What do you mean by "SBF" back to normal? Whatever that is, I'm sure it's what I REALLY want to do, because everything seems so crippled and messed up now, I even did a factory reset that made me call the re-activation phone number for programming, and still... no camera function (and Face Book + other apps disappeared out of no where).

Hi, please excuse the redundant question/post... but would you please explain what a SBF Back to Normal is? I tried Googling it, and didn't comprehend any of the results. Kind of sorry I tried the ROM install without knowing every step involved, I assumed the detailed process would explain it all.

Now, I just want my camera and apps and phone function back. Haha! :(

Upvote 0

Thanks NGFL... I went to the thread and read around, saw the download links, but couldn't gather a bearing of what they were. I think they are some recovery files to reinstall all the factory settings? Since my camera is working, oddly enough, I am just concentrating now on what it means to use bootstrap and mount etc. :)

This morning as I sat in my car in the parking lot, I tried once again clicking on my camera app... and after clickity-clicking, it ACTUALLY CAME ON! I don't believe or understand it.

Also, why weren't all my original apps restored after the hard factory reset on my Droid2? That's weird as well...

Oh well, the mysteries of phone ownership, haha! :)

Now, I really want to step into the world of Custom ROM. Time to find that Bootstrap on-line.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the SBF is essentially the file that Motorola writes to each phone at the factory. You can use it to fix just about anything software related with a Droid. I recommend you download everything you need, and familiarize yourself with it, just in case you ever need it. I've used RSDLite to flash my phone 8 or 9 times now, it's a breeze, takes less than 15 minutes, and solves pretty much any woes.

Bootstrapper for Droid2

Upvote 0
Yeah, the SBF is essentially the file that Motorola writes to each phone at the factory. You can use it to fix just about anything software related with a Droid. I recommend you download everything you need, and familiarize yourself with it, just in case you ever need it. I've used RSDLite to flash my phone 8 or 9 times now, it's a breeze, takes less than 15 minutes, and solves pretty much any woes.

Bootstrapper for Droid2

Thanks a LOT! I love learning new things, especially when they are this useful and helpful! Oddly enough... like I mentioned, out of NO WHERE after doing at least 10 or more soft resets, I tried my camera app once more, and it worked instantly, weird.

At any rate... now that I havethe Bootstrap, I can install the Custom Star Wars Clean ROM!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones