• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installing software, not from the Market but from another Android device?

FortKnox

Nov 23, 2008
Hi all, so I used the Locale application for years to automatically manage my phone's settings. Locale was "upgraded" (replaced) by software that works fundamentally differently, called Tasker. (the difference in computer science terms is that it went from stack-based to queue-based, which has practical ramifications) I've been using Tasker for a long time now, and decided I want to go back to Locale, which is still available on the Market, I just reinstalled it. However, one of the main reasons I want to switch back to Locale is that I loved the use of the On/Off Button Plugin, which works differently than Tasker's built-in widgets. (The difference is that I can use the same button to turn a setting on OR off and also that it displays the current state at a glance) So I reinstalled Locale, but I found that the On/Off Button Plugin is no longer available on the Market. So finally, my question is if there's a way to copy the plugin from where it's happily working on my tablet to my new cell phone, without using the Market and without doing anything that voids warranties?
Thanks all!

P.S. I wrote all that then realized that my tablet is using the plugin with Tasker, so whether or not I use Locale is entirely irrelevant, sorry.

P.P.S. Here's the plugin I mean, and this page says it's available from the Android market, but that's no longer true: http://www.boutiquesoftware.com/widgetpluginhelp.html

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones