• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Interesting WiFi Issues... (screenshots included)

visualoddity

May 11, 2009
So, here we go. Let me preface by saying that I'm a geek and deal w/ networking for a living, so I know my way around these wireless networks, and they work fine, and also are not setup with abnormal auths or proxies... :D

That Said...

I have had an issue w/ my Galaxy Tab 7 Plus since I got it that I can't find an answer for, and now a friend at work got one and has similar issues. Mine is a TMo 4g model, his is wifi only. Both stock ROM and NOT rooted.

My G-Tab sees and connects to my wireless at home just fine, no issues at all. It also sees 15-30 surrounding SSID's and lists them consistently. At work, sitting at my desk, it sees NONE. My phone/laptop/previous G-Tab 10.1/old iPad/etc can all the the surrounding 10+ wireless network SSID's just fine, but this G-Tab 7 Plus seen none of them. 3 of those assorted networks are ones I have access to and can connect to, and all other devices work fine, however this tablet will not even see them. I can go hold it within inches of the routers, still doesn't see them. Here's where it get's weird -> If I walk to another office maybe 200-300+ feet in any direction away from these routers, or go sit in my car in the parking lot, or even drive past the building, it suddenly sees these routers and connects to them as easily as any other device that's within inches or a few feet of them. What. The. F***. Early this morning, sitting at my desk about 30 feet from this router, suddenly the tablet was connected to wireless and passing traffic. A few minutes later, same place, couldn't even see the SSID. Then a few minutes later it connected again, then disconnected and hasn't seen it since. This has happened other places as well.

It's clear this is an issue with the G-Tab 7 Plus, not the various routers, so what could the fix be? I prefer NOT to root at this time, and shouldn't have to (stock ROM should be able to use wireless!). I'm wondering if this could stem from Samsung's "Channel Bonding" solution? Thoughts?

Here are screenshots I took within the last few minutes of a wifi analysis app on the G-Tab while sitting at my desk at work. It shows that it sees NO SSID's AT ALL. Also included is a pic I took of my phone showing the wireless networks it sees at the same time in the same spot. (yes, it's an old Cliq, I'm using my backup phone right now)...

Thoughts? This is killin me because any sound or video I stream at work, using FB and G+, etc, is pulling from my mobile data instead of wifi... :(

Phone showing wireless networks:

CameraZOOM-20120522011728714.jpg

What the G-Tab sees in the same place:

SC20120522-011350.jpg

SC20120522-011323.jpg

SC20120522-011331.jpg

SC20120522-011341.jpg

Someone on XDA asked about the stock WiFi app, and this is what I posted/answered. Sharing here so you can see the result with the stock app...

ETA: Here's a quick screen grab. You can see that it has seen them in the past, but as per the issues above, it is not seeing them right now, same place as the screenshots and pic above...

SC20120522-020509.jpg

Upvote 0
I just started having a similar problem.

The difference in my problem is that frequently, the tab will indicate that it's connected, but won't pass any traffic.

The signal level indicator changes from blue to grey.

One recent change is a change from WEP to WPA encryption on my router.

I'm willing to do a factory reset if someone here can kindly remind me how to do so.

Upvote 0
I just started having a similar problem.

The difference in my problem is that frequently, the tab will indicate that it's connected, but won't pass any traffic.

The signal level indicator changes from blue to grey.

One recent change is a change from WEP to WPA encryption on my router.

I'm willing to do a factory reset if someone here can kindly remind me how to do so.

If I remember correctly, it's Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Reset ;)

Upvote 0
Hi Visual,

Like you I am experienced in networking and how to set these things up. Also like you I'm seeing odd things with networking on the GT-6210 (wifi only).. but only an issue at work so far... but it's a different thing that I see however.

At home wifi connects fine, and works well, and also at other people's houses as well so far.
At work I can see the networks, but when I connect I get data flowing for about a minute, and then it all stops. My Motorola defy on the same network is fine.

When I stop and start the wifi it starts working again, but only for another minute or so. Things I've read and some of which I've tried:-

Turn off wifi sleeping Tried this. made no difference
Use WifiFixer Tried this also.. made no difference
Forget network and re-add still to try this, but not hopeful as when added 2nd network @ work had same issue.
Go to static IP and back Can't with it being a works network which I don't control, but would have been a good solution @ home
Hard reset Doesn't strike me as much of a solution really, so haven't done this yet.
Delete / clear some files in /data/misc/dhcp not tried this, but seen it mentioned in a few places, but for older versions of android. Better than a hard reset I guess, but a quick look didn't find those files on my GT-6210 there, but I haven't gone any further with this as yet.

Anyhow. Doesn't help you much I know in that there's no fix in here, but I have seem some off behaviour with the Tab Plus.. I'm on build HTJ85B P6210XXLB1.

Apart from this irritation I really like the GT6210. If this was my wifi @ home I would be much more annoyed. I'm waiting for work to reboot the routers so we can see if that fixes anything. Let us know if anything works for you, and I'll post back if anything fixes my issues.

For me this has happened since new and so really is very unlikely to be a virus causing that sort of issue.

Anyhow a few things to look at there.

Thanks for the reply/info. A few things...

First, mine has been doing this since it came out of the box, so like you, I highly doubt this is virus related. I *have* reset the routers here, same issue. When mine sees the wireless networks, it will connect just fine, my issue is that it won't even see them the vast majority of the time.

Earlier this morning, it randomly connected to the wireless here (work) for 15-30 minutes, then lost the signal and hasn't seen it since. The only way I can instigate that happening is to leave the general area (went down to the first floor today, work on the 4th) where, like I said earlier, it will usually pick up the connection, then come back upstairs where I sit like 30'ish feet from the router. When I do this, it's hit or miss, but maybe %30-40 of the time it will maintain the connection/signal for a very short while before losing sight of it completely. Contrary to all the natural laws of wireless networking, the further away from the router I get, the more likely my Tab is to see the SSID and connect. Fail.

There is something wonky with the Channel Bonding, I would suspect (just a guess, probably wrong lol). From the website:

The GALAXY Tab 7.0 Plus offers the best connectivity options available, from lightning-fast HSPA+ 21Mps to Wi-Fi Channel Bonding. Wi-Fi Channel bonding technology will let you receive data-rates approximately twice as fast as existing Wi-Fi.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab/7.0/feature.html?type=find

I really do love this device, but this issue is a borderline deal-breaker. :mad:

Upvote 0
I, too, have the same problem as you folks. Good connectivity w/all wifi networks except for work. It worked fine from Feb through April. Now I can only connect and pass traffic for a minute. Work helpdesk unable to tell me if they made any changes to the network and I'm not sure if there was a software update for the Tab in April. Same problem w/wmployee and guest wireless network. I had gotten so frustrated that I did the factory reset. It will NOT fix the problem. I do hope there's a fix for this.

Ken

Upvote 0
Well, I got my unit straightened out. First I did a reset, but as others pointed out, that didn't help.

Then, I replaced the router. That was in the works anyway. That restored Web and app net connectivity, but I still couldn't get the Google Play Store to work.

I noticed after the reset that my former AP's were remembered. As a last resort, I did a factory reset WITHOUT any Google backup, a clean slate. That worked like a champ.

I was even able to reload Swiftkey Tablet X from home, which for some reason I was never able to do.

I think there is something about this tab whereby the WiFi get corrupted.

Upvote 0
It may help if the country model is identified.

Prior to buying, I saw a lot of threads about the poor wifi and poor battery life.

I have the Canadian version (no IR blaster). So far, I have not had any wifi problems either at my office ($15 Belkin N router about 4 rooms away) or home (Actiontec Telus wireless router/modem on first floor and my bedroom on second floor). And my battery life has been excellent (standby with wifi left on only lose about 2% over about about 8 hours, heavy usage about 3 hours during day only use about 30-40%). My only complaint is that the stock apps like the browser and voice dictation are not very good when compared to the iPad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones