• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Intermittent Reboot

mudman

Jul 25, 2012
Hi everyone I hope you can help.

I've got an intermittent reboot problem on a friends phone running on Gingerbread, Software Number 3.14.405.1.

I brought the phone off a work colleague due to new upgrade phone - Desire One. He's never mentioned having any problems with it for the two years or so that he has had the Desire.
So I brought the phone on behalf of another friend and got the phone unlocked for him.

He has mentioned on several occasions the phone goes into a repetitive reboot cycle. When using the browser or playing a processor intensive game etc. The only way to end the loop is shut down from the HBOOT screen. Then leave the phone for awhile and then it boots up OK and seems fine for several hours.

Are there many problems with the Desire running the Gingerbread version? I seem to recall that HTC was a bit reluctant to release it for the Desire.

I am aware that PVT1 are a bit notorious for the reboot problem awhile back. But I'm curious as to why it has suddenly started doing it now.

Is it possible that the SIM unlock procedure (done by a high street unlocking service) may be the cause?

Would it be worth doing any factory resets, or rooting the phone and putting Froyo back on or a new RUU or something else?

Android Version: 2.3.3
Network: Vodafone (recently unlocked)
Taskiller Used?: Nope
[Optional]Are You rooted & which Rom: Nope

HBOOT:
BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-1.02.0001
MICROP-031d
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO-5.17.05.23
Jul 22 2011,16:19:16

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Thank you for the reply Hadron.

Friend A who I brought the phone from due to an upgrade never had this problem that I am aware of.
He was always using it at work, games, internet etc without any apparent problems.
He's also had the phone for about two years or so. If it is the PVT1 over heating issue why start playing up now? I thought that problem was reported years back, and only effecting some PVT1 batches?

As far as I can tell it's since Friend B has had the phone and had it unlocked. The trouble is the phone wasn't checked by either of us due to the sim locked. So kind of perplexed is Friend A telling porkies or the unlocking procedure has corrupted the OS or the RUU?

So there's no point in your opinion of trying a factory reset or rooting and reinstalling Gingerbread or Froyo OS or a new RUU?

Thanks again for your previous reply.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones