• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal and External Memory Storage and what apps/data should be stored on both.

A

Android Anonymous

1.) What is the main differences between internal and external memory of a smartphone?

2.) What kind of data/apps should be installed onto the internal memory of the phone and what kind of apps and data should be installed onto the external memory/micro sd card?

3.) I have several video game emulators (Drastic DS emulator, John SNES emulator, and MyBoy GBA emulator) and 2 full 3D games that were released to android (GTA San Andreas, Vice City) and I was wondering which memory storage should these particular apps/games be installed on?

Internal memory is a storage chip bonded to the circuit board. External is a removable storage card (microSD). Internal is faster an more reliable, external is removable and so can be expanded by buying a bigger card.

SD is fine for media, personally I prefer not to put apps on it (but of course that means I have to buy phones with adequate internal storage). Apps by default live in internal storage. The ability to store apps on sd depends on the device model and OS version: many still support the old Gingerbread version (officially unsupported since 4.0), which allows you to move part of an application to sd if the developer allows, via Settings > Apps. There's another option in Android 6 to let you adopt the card and use it entirely as an extension of the internal storage, but this means that the card is encrypted (so no longer useful in another device), and not all manufacturers support this. So there's no single answer to your question without knowing more about your device.

I know nothing about game console emulators, so can't help with the last bit. There's no "should" about where a particular app is stored: if you have a choice at all (because not all can be moved) then it's up to you how you prefer to do this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones