• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

International data tracking

fldude99

Android Expert
Oct 10, 2010
NW FL
I am travelling to S Am shortly and want to use wireless data there occasionally when out and about. I believe ATT charges 2c/kb...so I don't see anywhere in the Captivate to track data usage unless I'm missing something. Has anyone used a data counter application that is fairly accurate? I don't want to have a shock when returning and seeing my next bill...thanks

I am travelling to S Am shortly and want to use wireless data there occasionally when out and about. I believe ATT charges 2c/kb...so I don't see anywhere in the Captivate to track data usage unless I'm missing something. Has anyone used a data counter application that is fairly accurate? I don't want to have a shock when returning and seeing my next bill...thanks

When outside of the USA, turn off your data. Oh and $0.02/kb = $20.48/MB (1MB = 1024 KB); take a look at your data usage now, 1MB is a very small amount of data for $20. Plus as soon as your turn data on for whatever reason, all of the apps that have been waiting for data will go crazy and try and connect, and you can't easily stop them. I did this when I went to Canada, I turned data on (and this was with all extra apps removed, face book disconnected and such) and had 5MB within 5 minutes (yea $100 for 5 minutes of nothing). If you use data outside of the USA it is expensive, so just be aware.

Oh and you need froyo to really track data, the apps out there do not watch data 100%, so don't bother.

BTY safe travels

Reactions: fldude99
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess thank goodness for wifi-I'm hoping to have plenty of that where I'm going..but it's a fairly remote region in the south of Chile. So what I gather, the best way to "turn off data" is to do like sremick pointed out and just make sure data roaming is off? Hopefully if I sync while on wifi, I won't have the experience of j101399j when turning on data roaming..but buying 20mb for $25 may be a way to go as well.

So no one has had any success in using a data counter app?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess thank goodness for wifi-I'm hoping to have plenty of that where I'm going..but it's a fairly remote region in the south of Chile. So what I gather, the best way to "turn off data" is to do like sremick pointed out and just make sure data roaming is off? Hopefully if I sync while on wifi, I won't have the experience of j101399j when turning on data roaming..but buying 20mb for $25 may be a way to go as well.

So no one has had any success in using a data counter app?

sremick's method is the best. As long as data roaming is off you should be ok; plus it will keep data off when syncing over wifi. I just remebered, there is an app in market Called Quick Settings by Sergej Shaferenka,
chart
it has a Mobile data (3G icon) button that will kill data 100% no matter what. I use that when in Canada and have never ran into an issue since.

As for data tracking, when Froyo comes out, there are killer ways to track data, I just can't remeber any at the moment.

Upvote 0
The best bet for international travel is to unlock your phone and buy a sim card in the country you go to. Usually much cheaper than using your phone in the US even, and way cheaper than roaming. I just got back from Hong Kong and India and did this, cost me about 10 bucks in each country. Looks like in Chili you can get a SIM card for about 10 bucks, but have to add credit to it for talk time and data (not absolutely sure it will work for data, but a little research should help figure that out).

Upvote 0
^^^Yea I'm gonna do that as well..but for business purposes I really need to have my US # available. So I just carry my Nokia N97 and will pop a movistar card in it. I'll probably just turn off data roaming on the Captivate and use data only when necessary unless of course I have a wifi connection.

On a separate note-I tried getting an unlock code from ATT and they say they are not available for the captivate. There is an app to get a code that some folks say works, but I'm not really interested in spending that time as I have enough unlocked phones to not worry about that

Upvote 0
On a separate note-I tried getting an unlock code from ATT and they say they are not available for the captivate. There is an app to get a code that some folks say works, but I'm not really interested in spending that time as I have enough unlocked phones to not worry about that

A couple methods mentioned in the Captivate FAQ:
Unlock - CapFAQ

Upvote 0
for 2.1 I used to do this to stop my phone using 3g at all.

I went into settings>>wireless and networkds>>mobile networks>>Access point names. Clicked menu and new APN. I created a new APN and named first 2 fields with Blank.

Now I can select it, when I am not in Wifi area...and I dont want to use 3G. If i want to use 3g, i just select the default ATT WAP APN and its starts automatically.

Also, when switching back to APN named Blank, I have to reset my mobile network. for that, I go to flight mode and back to normal.

I am able to save my 3g leakage and battery drainage cause by 3g using this tip. Juice defender is great for its price..but if i can do it for free, why to pay $$ :).

sometime switching back to ATT WAP apn doesnt work, so select it and restart phone....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones