• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] "Stock-like" Android (JB+) ROM for unlocked i9300

Unfortunately it means reflashing rom,.theme and mods again then. No need to wipe though.

Ah, I see. That sounds like something that could open a can of worms for the sake of something that doesn't matter at all! Never mind, thanks for the heads-up though.

Does that apply to all re-flashes of mods, for future reference?

Upvote 0
Usually to remove a mod, you'd either reflash the rom, do a nandroid restore or have a mod that restores the files that the mod modified

Went for it in the end, just as a trial more than anything. No CRT any more - worked perfectly. Much simpler without a wipe! I understand wipes are required, or at least strongly recommended, when changing ROMs.

Thanks for your time once again today. Have a good evening - happy new year :)

Upvote 0
A couple of questions related to "keeping updated" with a custom ROM.

I have noticed that the ROM you suggested (WanamLite) has recently been updated to XXELLA - good news! I'm in no real rush to update, but I'd like to understand what key things to look at when updating, considering I'm also running mods.

As a refresh, the mods I'm running are:

• JB Domination 1.5 (update available to 1.5.1)
  • JB Domination 23 Toggles & Battery Icons (Kryten's mod? Can't find a thread on XDA?)
  • JB Domination InkEffect AOSPLock (Can't find on XDA?)

JB Domination 1.5.1 appears to be suitable for XXELLA (kernel version?), however the last modification above is for XXELL5, I can't find a XXELLA update. I assume mixing these is not recommended? Is the toggles theme just specific to the version of "23 toggles" installed - ie. independent of the kernel?

Upvote 0
A couple of questions related to "keeping updated" with a custom ROM.

I have noticed that the ROM you suggested (WanamLite) has recently been updated to XXELLA - good news! I'm in no real rush to update, but I'd like to understand what key things to look at when updating, considering I'm also running mods.

As a refresh, the mods I'm running are:

• JB Domination 1.5 (update available to 1.5.1)
  • JB Domination 23 Toggles & Battery Icons (Kryten's mod? Can't find a thread on XDA?)
  • JB Domination InkEffect AOSPLock (Can't find on XDA?)

JB Domination 1.5.1 appears to be suitable for XXELLA (kernel version?), however the last modification above is for XXELL5, I can't find a XXELLA update. I assume mixing these is not recommended? Is the toggles theme just specific to the version of "23 toggles" installed - ie. independent of the kernel?

XXELLA is the Samsung Build number for the ROM.

The Same JB Domination and mods you already have work on 5.3 with no issues (I have already updated mine). There is very little change in teh frameworks bewteen LL4 and LLA.

To be honest, I think Krytens mod actually installs the 23 toggles mod itself as well as theming them, so if you havent got the 23 toggles mod, it should install it however for the sake of a tick box, I select it in aroma anyway. Other roms such as Omega, 23 toggles is a pain to get working so I just do it that way anway

Reactions: andy9l
Upvote 0
So many different "mods", it's so hard to get your hand round them all as a newcomer. The jailbreak iOS scene is a walk in the park in comparison!

I'll update the ROM later and re-flash the mods. I'm safe to clear cache and dalvik cache, right? I read the author recommends getting into a habit of doing it before flashing anything, for optimum performance/safety.

Upvote 0
To be honest, we're not even scratching the surface with mods either.

Rooted android is like a vintage clothing shop. You have to Wade through loads of crap but eventually you find that classic you've been looking for.

Part of the flashing of jb dom is to wipe dalvik anyway

True, and the vast number of devices running Android causes more problems when trying to Google a specific mod!

All flashed, all went well. Got the default keyboard reset bug again - must be a JellyBean problem. Backup and restore of the troublesome app/extension fixes the issue - mine was Swiftkey - but the same method works for keyboards, browsers, launchers, the lot (apparently).

Edit: And thanks again ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones