• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internet Tethering - Orange Mobile

panthers fup is 1gb

1g or 2 g ?
smile.gif

Upvote 0
Yes Orange have disabled Wifi hotspot and USB tethering in the Froyo update. On their @orangehelpers twitter account they say it is not supported and they will be bring out the service and 'packages' next year.....
Bastards!

Since upgrading my Desire with 2.2 my tethering has stopped working. I was trying in Italy with a (data enabled) Italian simcard. This used to work!
I have a T.mob branded, unlocked on Orange & upgraded recently.
I now find that USB tethering does not work anymore, and the WiFi hotspot does not work.

In both cases, my PC connects to the phone OK, but the network connection has "No Internet Access". I can ping the phone, but cannot ping an internet IP address.

Is this something Orange have done?
Is there a solution, debranding, dowloading 2.2 from somewhere else? Any help appreciated.

Upvote 0
I HAVE A FIX FOR THE ORANGE DESIRE TETHERING AND WIFI HOTSPOT WITH NO NEED TO ROOT (I haven't rooted but tempted now there is Unrevoked, could someone tell me if this will mean I get regular updates to my operating system?).Anyway here's what you do THANKS to Roger_Dodger and everyone else who heped:

From your homescreen;

Menu/settings/Wireless&Networks/Mobile networks/Access Point Names

You should see the following three APNs;

Orange Internet
Consumer Broadband
Orange MMS

(that "consumer broadband" one is the one I don't remember seeing before, but I may have been blind. If you don't have it, go ahead and {assuming it's a clean factory-issue Orange Desire obviously} Unrevoke your Desire!)

Select Consumer Broadband (THAT's "CONSUMER BROADBAND" that needs to be Selected NOT the other two)

CHANGE the APN from "consumerbroadband" to "orangeinternet"

CHANGE the Username from <Not set> to "Orange"

CHANGE the password from <Not set> to "Multimedia"

Make sure you use the capital first letters exactly as I've typed them there. Oh, and don't type the " marks. I'm sure if you're smart enough to use XDA-Dev you already know that, but no harm in stating it for the n00blets.

Authentication type should be set to CHAP. Make sure, I think it was anyway but just check.

Press your Menu button, tap "Save"

And that's it.

Switch on your "Wifi Hotspot" in your usual way, search and connect from your lappie, surf the bejesus out of those pesky Orange ratbags. Meanwhile your phone keeps its own connection side by side your tethered hotspot - that's what the "Orange Internet" settings alter, so don't mess with those.

Don't forget to use one of the WPA security methods of course, otherwise some cheeky knob-jockey will definitely enjoy your Orange account's data capacity right up to the hair.

Please click on thanks if this works for you..

Upvote 0
This worked for me:
Ok, I seem to have stable connection now, and neither T-mobile or HTC provided the solution.

The hint that led me here, was that when using Windows 7's network troubleshooter, I was informed that the DNS server wasnt responding.

When I had a connection, I used IPCONFIG /all to obtain the IP address of the DNS server.

I then entered the DNS server IP address into the TCP/IP V4 properties on the network connection on my laptop.

Previous to this, I had to reset every 2 days. So far I have not had to reset for about 7-10 days. It seems to have worked for some bizarre reason.

Just more info -
Both DNS and DHCP were on the same subnet, which suggested that DNS should be contactable/accessible, otherwise if not then the DNS daemon must have a software glitch.

So by specifying the IP address my phone should know where to look for the dns server. It worked.
So at this stage my conclusion is- whatever form of DHCP is leasing the IP addresses on the phone has some flakiness in it and it doesnt always define a IP address for the DNS server. Once this is manually specified in the TCP/IP properties the DNS server is contactable and routing of my traffic is fine.

Reactions: jondissed
Upvote 0
@bh27...

Thanks for your advice, I thought this would cure my problem but it seems that it hasn't, mainly because I cannot see the "Consumer Broadband" in the Acces Point Names list, only "Orange Internet" and "Orange MMS". I tried to make the changes to the username, password and authentication type as you suggested but still no joy.

I don't know whether this is relevant, but I am throwing out some other bits of info:

• I only have a 3G connection at the moment, I can't get HDSPA in the office
  • When I hit the "USB Tethering" option in Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks the check box will not tick and the message states "Unable to turn on"
  • My "Internet Pass-through" setting in Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks is completely greyed out and not active
Not sure what the issue is here, going to ring Orange later to speak to someone technical, see if they can shed some light on it. It's an absolute pain in the buttock area if Orange have blocked this option, I can't see any reason other than they want to sell their mobile broadband, but for most people they only want to use this function occasionally.

Apologies for any n00b mistakes, I'm new to Android and smartphones in general, I only picked up my Desire Z on monday after upgrading from a Nokia 6230!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks all.

PS. I'll come back with whatever info Orange can give me when I call them.

Upvote 0
Had the exact same problem described by others here.

Laptop running windows 7. HTC Desire on Orange (also on the Panther plan, for what it it worth). I had USB tethering working fine before the Froyo update, but once Froyo was installed, USB tethering stopped working, and the new wifi-hotspot feature also did not work. Same symptoms as described by others above... connected fine (via both USB and Wifi Hotspot) in terms of being allocated an IP, but no internet connectivity.

I made the changes to the "consumer broadband" Access Point Name described in post 32 above, and now working fine. I am not particularly technically minded, so I don't really understand what these changes mean, exactly... but they worked for me.

Upvote 0
I got mine working finally using this method too:

This worked for me:
The hint that led me here, was that when using Windows 7's network troubleshooter, I was informed that the DNS server wasnt responding.

When I had a connection, I used IPCONFIG /all to obtain the IP address of the DNS server.

I then entered the DNS server IP address into the TCP/IP V4 properties on the network connection on my laptop.

I didnt need to "obtain the IP address of the DNS server" though as the DNS settings under "advanced" on my android phone by default is set to 192.168.1.1

I have also made the "consumer broadband" change

Upvote 0
Tethering is against the Ts&Cs.
In the past mobile providers have let this pass but with the advent of data hungry applications they are starting to enforce this. Think about it .... A PC/Laptop even just doing its Windows updates through a gateway designed for a mobile browser is gonna present problems of congestion.
TM have a product that allows handset as modem and a mate told me Orange only support Blackberry business customers and iPhone tethering with an add on product but arelooking to have something soon for other users.

Remember though if you try and circumvent what measures have been put in place to preserve your networks stability you may be billed (7.50/mb with my provider) and terminated with charges.

Upvote 0
I have spoken to a nice and overly revealing lady at Orange, who confirmed that neither the sales team (that upgraded me to the Desire HD), nor the general support team, knew about the policy of blocking tethering on Android. She had in front of her an email sent to the data department that made it clear that this is indeed current policy, and (reading between the lines - this isn't what she said) they are swamped by iPhone usage and have concocted a story about needing a new widget for Android phones in order to give them time to increase capacity on the network.I used the wonderful fix above while I was speaking to her and now I am writing this on my laptop while tethered. I pressed her as hard as I could on T&Cs, and she put it in my notes that she told me that since I had a data package I couldn't be breaching them...

Upvote 0
I have made the changes suggested above, but for some reason I cant get a 3G signal at the moment-I'll try once the signal is back up.

On a hunch I set the changes back to what they were before and got internet on the phone just fine. What did I do wrong?

I want to have the option of both phone net and tethering

Just redid it and seems to be working, thanks-I shall note the comments about racking up the data usage and will use this facility very sparingly

Upvote 0
Brilliant. Set the details as specified and it now works. Didn't see the 3g icon, so rebooted the phone. Works a treat now, writing the message from the tether now. Can confirm that I have a HTC Desire with Froyo through Orange, unrooted.

Strange/annoying thing is that the 3g link is faster than my orange broadband link.

Upvote 0
I have just followed this advice and it now works. I have an Orange unrooted HTC Desire with Android 2.2. Thanks for posting the advice.

The WiFi hotspot feature is really nice and useful.

Looking at the settings changes I guess the "ConsumerBroadband" APN is selected during tethering and for some reason it just isn't setup correctly by default.

Upvote 0
This was sending me bonkers, the number of times I tried and failed to get an internet connection. I thank you bh27 for restoring my sanity with clear concise instuctions that had me laughing too. How on earth did you find the solution

Hats off to you

I registered just to say thanks thats how happy I am :)

I HAVE A FIX FOR THE ORANGE DESIRE TETHERING AND WIFI HOTSPOT WITH NO NEED TO ROOT (I haven't rooted but tempted now there is Unrevoked, could someone tell me if this will mean I get regular updates to my operating system?).Anyway here's what you do THANKS to Roger_Dodger and everyone else who heped:

From your homescreen;

Orange Internet
Consumer Broadband
Orange MMS

(that "consumer broadband" one is the one I don't remember seeing before, but I may have been blind. If you don't have it, go ahead and {assuming it's a clean factory-issue Orange Desire obviously} Unrevoke your Desire!)

Select Consumer Broadband (THAT's "CONSUMER BROADBAND" that needs to be Selected NOT the other two)

Make sure you use the capital first letters exactly as I've typed them there. Oh, and don't type the " marks. I'm sure if you're smart enough to use XDA-Dev you already know that, but no harm in stating it for the n00blets.

Authentication type should be set to CHAP. Make sure, I think it was anyway but just check.

And that's it.

Switch on your "Wifi Hotspot" in your usual way, search and connect from your lappie, surf the bejesus out of those pesky Orange ratbags. Meanwhile your phone keeps its own connection side by side your tethered hotspot - that's what the "Orange Internet" settings alter, so don't mess with those.

Don't forget to use one of the WPA security methods of course, otherwise some cheeky knob-jockey will definitely enjoy your Orange account's data capacity right up to the hair.

Upvote 0
I went to try bh27's solution in comment #32, but although I see an access point with the APN consumerbroadband (called Orange Broadband in my case, rather than Consumer Broadband), everything is greyed out and I can't edit anything.

I don't actually have a Desire, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, but was googling because I'm having the same problem - like others, I can obtain an IP address on my other device and even ping the gateway, but I nothing else.

In case it matters, I'm on a Dolphin 25 plan.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I've resolved my problem in comment #45 by adding a new APN and copying the settings from the existing one but adding the username and password that bh27 suggested. The mobile hotspot now works perfectly for me, thanks for pointing me in the right direction (and hopefully my addition might help someone else with this problem).

Reactions: stellastar
Upvote 0
Friends please note step one in bh27's post which is Select Consumer Broadband (THAT's "CONSUMER BROADBAND" that needs to be Selected NOT the other two). I had the same problem as most of the users on this blog. When i called orange customer care they asked me to try similar options as mentioned by bh27. But it still didnt work for me. But now when i read bh27's post I realise that there is one key difference, while the orange customer care asked me to select "Orange Internet" from the three APNs bn27 highlighted "Consumer Broadband". So now I selected "Consumer Broadband" and made the required changes such as APN, username and password. Once this is done and saved.. hurray.. it works. USB tethering also works now. After 8 months of getting this phone I can finally use these options. :) Thanks bh27. I'll call orange and suggest them to update their procedure to include this.

- Usav

From your homescreen;

Orange Internet
Consumer Broadband
Orange MMS

And that's it.

Upvote 0
Hi lordofthemoon, I am in exactly the same situation as you with a S2. However, I set up a new APN as you suggested, but I still can't get a connection. Could you confirm all the settings you have entered? With the new APN, I have given it a different name to distinguish it and now can select between "Orange internet" or "Broadband2" (new name). However, neither seem to produce a connection. This, of course, could be not least because I am using XP on my laptop.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones