• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Introducing the new Android Runtime - ART

I've been on ART in AOKP for like three weeks? or so? Of course it's on a gnex so it's on a dinosaur. :p

So how is it on the gnex? I remember people saying that when it updated to Jelly Bean it was zippier than the S3 so it might be one of those devices that continually benefits from software improvements - although I appreciate it will eventually reach a hardware-constrained plateau. I know my S3 is amazing on kitkat+ART.

Upvote 0
Only issues I've seen with apps on ART have been WhatsApp (resolved with ART changes made in 4.4.2), and Keepass2Android (won't load a database if using ART). The latter app simply closes.
I see you noted the WhatsApp problem with ART, which you said was resolved in KitKat 4.4.2.
Unfortunately I was unaware of the issue and tried to reinstall WhatsApp under ART. This resulted in a known problem in that it wouldn't reinstall even after reverting to Dalvik. The given solutions of factory reinstall or root are not attractive.
Do you know of any other way I can get Whatsapp back?

Upvote 0
Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
According to benchmarks?

Do you believe them?

Depending on the source, yes and no. There's an inherent issue when the software running the benchmark is dependent on the resource that's changed. I have noticed VERY large changes in VERY specific apps in Dalvik vs ART on my One. One game app would take 30-40 seconds to load into a map on Dalvik, and 10-15 on ART.

However, in day to day use, I've noticed no real difference.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Depending on the source, yes and no. There's an inherent issue when the software running the benchmark is dependent on the resource that's changed. I have noticed VERY large changes in VERY specific apps in Dalvik vs ART on my One. One game app would take 30-40 seconds to load into a map on Dalvik, and 10-15 on ART.

However, in day to day use, I've noticed no real difference.

Makes sense to me.

I'd expect faster loading for a lot of apps because it's skipping the compilation phase common to Java/Dalvik code.

How noticeable is going to be app and therefore user dependent.

Upvote 0
Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
:thinking: Hello to all the helpful people on this forum. Can you someone help me with a strange problem? I've got a Nexus 5, rooted, running stock ROM, factory reset, all data erased - in other words, a clean phone.
However, I can't get the bloody thing to switch to ART runtime. Everytime I select it the phone reboots into Dalvik. Any ideas? Thanks heaps!

Upvote 0
:thinking: Hello to all the helpful people on this forum. Can you someone help me with a strange problem? I've got a Nexus 5, rooted, running stock ROM, factory reset, all data erased - in other words, a clean phone.
However, I can't get the bloody thing to switch to ART runtime. Everytime I select it the phone reboots into Dalvik. Any ideas? Thanks heaps!

How much free space do you have? ART needs quite a bit more storage space than Dalvik, so it *could* be that it runs out of space before it finishes building the ART cache.

Upvote 0
I hate the "Dalvik is Dead" headline. So much.

1) It's not "dead". It won't be "dead" for at least 3+ years, until Dashboards | Android Developers stops showing any devices using anything but the "L" release of Android.

2) That ART is going to replace Dalvik isn't news. It was, back when 4.4 was released, but it isn't anymore. This has been known. That was the entire point of enabling ART as an option.

But I guess "Just Like We Thought ~9 Months Ago, It Looks Like ART Will Eventually Replace Dalvik As The Default Runtime On New Android Releases" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones