• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Inviting all owners of Samsung Galaxy 551

I already sent mine back :-(
I found it be be a great little phone with really excellent features, but in the UK it has developed the same problem as the Galaxy 550 where text messages from o2 are repeated many many times. I phoned Samsung, they say they are aware of the problem, but new firmware isn't expected soon. Shame.

Reactions: jbanti
Upvote 0
let's go users galaxy i5510
I-Luv-Indonesia.gif

Upvote 0
I bought a Galaxy i5510 last Tuesday and everything was working including the wifi.

I installed the Samsung Kies software and it told me that I have to upgrade my phone's firmware.

After the upgrade, my wifi was no longer working. Please help.

Frustrated I5510 User in the Philippines
hey i am having wifi problem in my phone too i bought it about 10 days ago and now n then wifi stops working .... i do a factory reset n then it starts again but i am fed up doing reset everytime hence i am updating it with kies and seeing what happens did u find any solution...

Upvote 0
I am Karan from Mumbai
The 551 fails to be recognized in KIES 1.5 or 2.0
The USB storage can be accesed,phone memory cant be accesed .
But when i switch off USB debug mode, and select KIES in phone
the USB debug gets activated and KIES doesn't recognize it.
The Samsung USB Android driver fails to install on Windows 7
Phone is fine ,touchscreen is awesome ,PC support is worse than pathetic

Upvote 0
Hi, I just found a new problem on my galaxy 551. When I connect my cell to any external speaker, either through Aux cable or directly to a speaker, sound comes only from the right speaker. I tried on various speaker systems and same problem occurred in all of them. But there is no such problem in the earphones, I am getting proper sound in both sides. Also there is no such setting in the cell phone to adjust right/left balance. So please help me with a solution!

Upvote 0
hi
I brought 551 10 days back ...
Sad, But having same problem with WIFI ...... many people seams to have this problem. I think it is related with the WIFI protocol suit of FROYO. I was trying something but i fear that i will loos my firmware. Can any1 know how to take backup of ROM or any ROM backup that is available on net from which i can recover my original ROM settings?

I am soft. engg. working in J2ME, from what i studied, i think i can change the protocol suit and try to fix the wifi problem, but to do that I need ROM backup as if anything went wrong i must recover to original stage ....

can any1 suggest something........ ??

Upvote 0
Every time I reboot the device, the apps disappear for a while, and show after about a minute. This time, they're not showing at all. Not on the home screens or in the app menu. the task manager and app manager show that they are installed, and i can launch them off the android market. most of the apps were on the sd card. i moved them back to phone memory, and they're still not showing. Pls help?

Upvote 0
I have bought my Galaxy 551 5 days ago and till now I have found mainly one problem. The impossibly short battery life. It doesn't even last for a day of moderate use. And once I saw it stopped working during standby and there were two displays in the same display. One reset corrected that problem. Angry Birds is not always smooth in this phone. Thats all I can say till now.

Upvote 0
I have bought my Galaxy 551 5 days ago and till now I have found mainly one problem. The impossibly short battery life. It doesn't even last for a day of moderate use. And once I saw it stopped working during standby and there were two displays in the same display. One reset corrected that problem. Angry Birds is not always smooth in this phone. Thats all I can say till now.
What do you consider moderate use? Wifi and games drain my battery in under 24 hours but it lasts 2-3 days if wifi, bluetooth and gps are turned off and i dont play any games. (note: I rarely call/get called, battery life includes sending/receiving 10ish text messages a day)

Music Player
Hold on the name of file
Menu:-Set as ringtone
Done
:D
Alternatively; if you have an SD card create a folder called "Ringtones" on the SD card and any mp3 you place in there shows up in the ringtone selection list.

Additionally; creating a folder called "Notifications" on the SD card will cause all mp3's is this folder to show up in the SMS/Email sound selection list.

Upvote 0
What do you consider moderate use? Wifi and games drain my battery in under 24 hours but it lasts 2-3 days if wifi, bluetooth and gps are turned off and i dont play any games. (note: I rarely call/get called, battery life includes sending/receiving 10ish text messages a day)

Alternatively; if you have an SD card create a folder called "Ringtones" on the SD card and any mp3 you place in there shows up in the ringtone selection list.

Additionally; creating a folder called "Notifications" on the SD card will cause all mp3's is this folder to show up in the SMS/Email sound selection list.

Well yours is actual minimal usage.,Moderate usage include 6-8 call averaging 4 minutes,60-100 minutes of music,mild usage of wifi and GPRS ,some GPS thrown in,a round or two of angry birds or some game,.It barely lasts 16 hours .:)
Btw thanks for showing the second method.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones