• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help iOS like Do Not Disturb on Android?? Vibrate for calls, silence for notifications

Koen OnePlus

Lurker
Jan 22, 2017
Hi! I recently purchased a OnePlus 3T after years and years of iOS and so far, it's been great. I have two problems however that I'm hoping one of you will be able to solve.. The phone runs android 7.0.

The 1st problem is the phones "do not disturb" function. I prefer to have my phone set in a way that no notifications light up the screen or make the phone vibrate, but will allow each call to go through with vibrations and no sound. Blocking the notifications/alerts is possible, however you have to keep the sound on at least 10%. This can be a huge deal in meetings, libraries, etc. This drives me crazy, since the only way to have the phone on vibrate now is to set everything to vibrate, resulting in every whatsapp/fb message/email causing a vibration.

The 2nd, much less important, problem, also has to do with the do not disturb mode as I'm used to in iOS. When enabled in iOS, you will not get notifications of other apps like whatsapp when you use the phone. This means that you can read an article/watch a movie etc. without constantly getting a notification of every message you receive.

If someone could help me with this problem, I would be absolutely through the roof with happiness. I've spent >10hrs trying to find a workaround. I though I found it in the app "Nights Keeper" but that's full of bugs.

I have a different phone (S7Edge) so there may be some differences.

For the first one, I can achieve this simply by setting the phone on vibrate, then turning on Do Not Disturb. However your Do Not Disturb mode needs to have an exception set to allow all calls through. This can be done by going to settings>do not disturb>allow exceptions>custom.

For the second, you mean to say you are having the notification popups despite being on Do Not Disturb mode? I honestly can't help you find a setting for this. Personally I disabled all popups, then used an app called Floatify to mimic these popups. Floatify has an option to disable popups depending on the active app, so it gives more degree of freedom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones