• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 4 User: Got to play with the Droid X today!

So I got to play with the X again and had a little more time on my lunch. First off they had three units that I saw myself that they were testing. Secondly my Verizon is opening early on the 15th to start selling. They told me they already have the shipments in at my store, and that they shouldn't have the same problem as the incredible.

The woman told me they had a lot more Droid X's and they would be getting more in.

So I thought the X was incredibly light, I wouldn't say lighter than the Incredible but still about as light. The screen was great, looked great, wasn't comparing it to a Incredible but I don't think anyone would have issues.

I took a picture inside Verizon and it looked great, but I am not a professional photographer so I guess I wouldn't know. I have heard that some have said the phone lags a little bit. Well I only played with it for about 20 - 25 minutes and there was no lag, and it seemed quicker than my Incredible.

I decided to put it in my pocket, and it fit easily. Granted I have on some plaid cargo shorts, but I see no problem. The phone in all honesty doesn't seem that big at all. I feel like it was smaller than the EVO, even though we know it isn't. I think it has to do with how thin and light it is.

Overall the phone felt great and was speedy. Man oh man I cannot wait until the 15th.

Upvote 0
So I got to play with the X again and had a little more time on my lunch. First off they had three units that I saw myself that they were testing. Secondly my Verizon is opening early on the 15th to start selling. They told me they already have the shipments in at my store, and that they shouldn't have the same problem as the incredible.

The woman told me they had a lot more Droid X's and they would be getting more in.

So I thought the X was incredibly light, I wouldn't say lighter than the Incredible but still about as light. The screen was great, looked great, wasn't comparing it to a Incredible but I don't think anyone would have issues.

I took a picture inside Verizon and it looked great, but I am not a professional photographer so I guess I wouldn't know. I have heard that some have said the phone lags a little bit. Well I only played with it for about 20 - 25 minutes and there was no lag, and it seemed quicker than my Incredible.

I decided to put it in my pocket, and it fit easily. Granted I have on some plaid cargo shorts, but I see no problem. The phone in all honesty doesn't seem that big at all. I feel like it was smaller than the EVO, even though we know it isn't. I think it has to do with how thin and light it is.

Overall the phone felt great and was speedy. Man oh man I cannot wait until the 15th.

played with one today also!
im going to get to work early (well...on time at 7:30am lol) so i can began my work then sneak out at 7:45 to be at the store by 7:55. damnit i will be the first in...line? if it is one :)

Upvote 0
Glad you are switching to the droid. You do realize that you will now have a phone on a great network and actually be able to make calls without dropping constantly. And, inside of 2 months you will be getting upgrades to the OS to make this device really special. I was ready for the Iphone if Verizon got it, but even right now if they got it, I would go with the Droid.

Upvote 0
Finally got to play with one today and man I really can't wait! Really slick device and the huge screen makes it easy to type. Had no problems what so ever speed typing which I wouldn't of been able to do with my Droid.

The manager who had the phone said the retail price will be right in line with the original Droid @ $559.

Upvote 0
Glad to see so many getting the chance to try it. Spent a LOT more time today playing with the X. It is awsome. Got to snap a few pics below and a function that will please many is that you can wake the phone with the button on top or by pressing the home button at the bottom, then, slide to unlock! The pinch to zoom does NOT work on mobile sites, but it does work on regular sites. It is a bit choppy, not nearly as smooth as the iPhone 4. It is less bright than the iPhone 4, but that is only noticeable when you have them side-by-side. When alone, this screen is pretty awesome!

Other than that, this manager said the biggest store in my city should get about 100 units (rough guess at this point) and they may open at 8am. Any other questions, fire away!

photo-2.jpg
photo.jpg

Upvote 0
Secondly my Verizon is opening early on the 15th to start selling.

Same here :D Except I'll probably take an early lunch and swing by around 11AM instead of 9AM.

I went from an iPhone to an HTC Evo. At first the phone seemed big but I quickly became accustomed to it. A 4.3" screen is simply fantastic and much more enjoyable than my iPhone was. With the Droid X being thin, I think I'll love the size even more than the Evo. I'll take a lower resolution 4.3" screen over the iPhone's retina display any day of the week!

Upvote 0
So what's with all the reps claiming they don't see an inventory problem? Selling out day one sounds like a problem. Guess I better get up early after all that day

The manager at the store told me for a point of reference. The original Blackberry storm shipped 85 units. They had a line of 100 people at this particular store. Yep. Sold out in the first hour. Now, not sure that I would suggest everyone go get in line at 8am or anything, but he also told me that they had Incredibles and Droids until 3pm at this same store and they shipped even less than the Storms. So, take it as you will, Blackberry's at the time were way more popular. He did also say that they will be getting Droid X's shipped almost daily after day 1.

Upvote 0
Same here :D Except I'll probably take an early lunch and swing by around 11AM instead of 9AM.

I went from an iPhone to an HTC Evo. At first the phone seemed big but I quickly became accustomed to it. A 4.3" screen is simply fantastic and much more enjoyable than my iPhone was. With the Droid X being thin, I think I'll love the size even more than the Evo. I'll take a lower resolution 4.3" screen over the iPhone's retina display any day of the week!

This is the first time I have been glad that I don't go in till 1030am so this way I can get my phone first thing in the morning.

Upvote 0
The manager at the store told me for a point of reference. The original Blackberry storm shipped 85 units. They had a line of 100 people at this particular store. Yep. Sold out in the first hour. Now, not sure that I would suggest everyone go get in line at 8am or anything, but he also told me that they had Incredibles and Droids until 3pm at this same store and they shipped even less than the Storms. So, take it as you will, Blackberry's at the time were way more popular. He did also say that they will be getting Droid X's shipped almost daily after day 1.

Ive been told the same down in florida. Ordering on line works better for me. evening shift makes it impossible to get up at 0800 hours

Upvote 0
Guess that depends on how fast the line moves. :eek:
I can't believe they are planning on selling out the first day with the mess they have with the Dinc. Makes me wonder if Steve Jobs is in charge of inventory. :D

My store told me they would have plenty and "they shouldn't" run out, so whose saying they won't. I will be getting there maybe 30 minutes before they open to be safe, if that isn't enough then I am SOL. I don't care if I am a little late to work, I can use personal time to cover.

Upvote 0
wait so all vzw stores have droid x demos?? if so im gona go to the one by me right now so lemme know ppl lol

You should call your local stores first. About every other store in downtown Chicago and up north have them. Some cities are coming up dry right now.

And then, of course, some customers are actually getting shipments of the X right now too so they don't even need to go to the store for a demo. :(

Upvote 0
iPhone 4 user here and am considering returning for the X. A couple of questions as I have never handled an Android device.

Does the X have a new message indicator like that of the BlackBerry, i.e. blinking red light?

I assume you can customize message alert sounds? I'm a traveling salesman who is on the road quite a bit. The email notification sound on the iPhone is too quiet. It's impossible to hear with road noise and the radio on.

How easy is it to setup an Exchange account? One of the beauties of the iPhone is how simple it was to enter my corporate Exchange info and to sync with my email.

Thanks for the help...

Upvote 0
iPhone 4 user here and am considering returning for the X. A couple of questions as I have never handled an Android device.

Does the X have a new message indicator like that of the BlackBerry, i.e. blinking red light?

I assume you can customize message alert sounds? I'm a traveling salesman who is on the road quite a bit. The email notification sound on the iPhone is too quiet. It's impossible to hear with road noise and the radio on.

How easy is it to setup an Exchange account? One of the beauties of the iPhone is how simple it was to enter my corporate Exchange info and to sync with my email.

Thanks for the help...

1. Yes, and you can download an app to change the color depending on the type of notification

2. Yes you can customize alert sounds for email, texts, MMS, calendar, etc

3. Exchange setup should be easy, but since I don't rely on it, I can't comment on ease of use. I've set one up, but never really used it. So that's a yes as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones