• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Iphone emulators vs android emulators

Eazail70x7

Android Expert
Mar 13, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I know that iphone users can jail break to get the old school emulators and I think that by now, there are some emulators in the apple market. My question is on a couple levels...

- Without jailbreaking, can you get roms on the iphone for free?

- If so how?

- How well does the on screen controller work

- Is the small screen you have to use on the iphone emu an issue?

Also add any feedback you like and your opinion as well. I'm just curious that's all. Hopefully one of you has experience in this field

I know that iphone users can jail break to get the old school emulators and I think that by now, there are some emulators in the apple market. My question is on a couple levels...

- If so how?

Also add any feedback you like and your opinion as well. I'm just curious that's all. Hopefully one of you has experience in this field

your asking on an android forum about iphone apps?

Upvote 0

- If so how?

Former iPod Touch user here; didn't have an iPhone, but they're similar enough that the same concepts apply to both here. As for your questions:

1. No. You can't even access the iPhone filesystem without jailbreaking, and it doesn't matter since the only emulators for the platform require you to jailbreak anyway. The App Store has no emulators in the sense that you mean it; there are a few remakes of vintage games (Pac-Man and Mega Man 2, for example), but the iPhone equivalents of Nesoid and Gensoid are jailbreak-only apps.

2. Not possible. Even the jailbreak emulators cost money (in the Cydia store), although you can add your own ROMs from whatever source easily. There are also guys who've put up ROM packs for download through Cydia, although I've read that people have had serious problems with these (i.e. so bad that they had to restore their device), so I always stuck to just uploading my ROMs via FTP.

3. It differs from emulator to emulator. I think NES and SNES each have two different emulators available, not sure about other systems. But generally speaking the on-screen controls are actually one of the ONLY things I liked better on the Touch than on my Droid. No haptic feedback for virtual keys on the Touch of course; not sure if you can get it on the iPhone.

I found that the NES and Gameboy controls were easy to use and well-suited even for action games, but the SNES button layout is awkward enough that I had trouble using it for anything but RPGs. One SNES emulator (forget which one) let you fill the screen with the game and use transparent buttons that lay on top of the game screen; this sounded like an awesome idea until I actually tried to use it and realized that it meant I'd be covering the game with my hands the whole time. No Mario Kart for me!

4. Not really since most NES/SNES/Gameboy/Genesis games were written for systems that could only output low resolution graphics anyway. Whether you like playing on a screen that size is up to you, but you don't sacrifice anything in terms of graphics quality by playing those games on an iPhone.

Also, I don't know if you already have or are considering purchasing an iPhone or what, but you should know that there's no jailbreak available for the current version of the firmware (3.1.3) on the 3GS. If you have a 3G or lower, or a 3GS on an older version of the firmware, you'll be fine.

Reactions: Eazail70x7
Upvote 0
1.)[/bold]I know that iphone users can jail break to get the old school emulators and I think that by now, there are some emulators in the apple market. My question is on a couple levels...

2.)[/bold]- Without jailbreaking, can you get roms on the iphone for free?

3.)[/bold]- If so how?

4.)[/bold]- How well does the on screen controller work

5.)[/bold]- Is the small screen you have to use on the iphone emu an issue?

1.) Never has been, never will be. You have to jailbreak to get the emulators.

2.) No.

3.) See above.

4.) Works just fine for basic games. Multitouch is supported. On SNES I would play Chrono Trigger almost exclusively. Gameboy and GBA I would play Pokemon or other pretty simply games as well. No complaints on the controls for those games.

5.) Not a big deal. You could play in landscape as well.

The guy that coded the emu's started out great, but turned into a real hack after a while, forcing users to use different jailbreak programs just to use his emulators as well as randomly replacing his free emu's with updated ones that turn your current full version into a trial that after 7 days you had to pay for. He lost a lot of his community after that move, then when people began to call him out en masse, he simply closed down his forums because of "trolls" and "haters", so now you essentially have no support, and piracy has ripped him a new one after his shady business tactics.

Basically, Android FTW. Having tactile keys to play the emu's with is great, and the on screen buttons are implemented very well too.

Reactions: Eazail70x7
Upvote 0
Even on my Moment, the screen is big enough for me. The Iphone screen size is nice too, but with the controls being all on screen that takes room from the actual game screen. Now if you could sync say a bluetooth controller to the iphone, it would be great! You can sync the wiimote to android now, so NES, and GBA would be okay. GBA, maybe.

Upvote 0
Even on my Moment, the screen is big enough for me. The Iphone screen size is nice too, but with the controls being all on screen that takes room from the actual game screen. Now if you could sync say a bluetooth controller to the iphone, it would be great! You can sync the wiimote to android now, so NES, and GBA would be okay. GBA, maybe.

You can use the WiiMote on the iPhone emu's as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones