• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone stolen, bought an android

ToyYoda

Lurker
Oct 16, 2012
Hello. My iPhone was stolen today. Sucks!!

But, I thought it was a good excuse to switch to android.

I decided to buy the Samsung Note1 to replace it. Now, I am trying to figure out how to transfer my contacts out of iTunes backup and onto my new phone.

However, so far, nearly every solution I've seen requires that I plug my iphone into my computer, but I can't because it was stolen. Or I have to download an app onto my iPhone. Or, I have to buy software (which I don't mind), but the software requires that I have my iPhone plugged in. I don't have that option. I just have the backups of my iPhone on my computer.

How do I transfer my contacts over? If I can't do so, I'll just return my phone and get another iphone.

thanks.

Welcome to the forums ToyYoda!

Sad to hear about your iPhone woes, but glad to hear about the addition of a new device!

I would suggest to try and use Samsung Kies, to retrieve your contacts, it can get them from iTunes with this problem.

To get some more information on this program here is the link: Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions :D

Upvote 0
Great! Thanks Digital Controller. I will try this right away.

Yeah getting anything stolen sucks. I'm not upset by the fact it was stolen, but I am upset with the pain in the ass of messing up my plans for the rest of the day and the fact that I planned to switch to android a year from now, and not now.

What's really upsetting is that this happened at my place of work, at a hardware tech company!!! You think they pay these engineers and technicians enough money so as not to steal. Sigh.

Well, at least I got a new toy to play with,

I'm downloading your suggestion as we speak. Thanks a million again!!!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums ToyYoda!

Sad to hear about your iPhone woes, but glad to hear about the addition of a new device!

I would suggest to try and use Samsung Kies, to retrieve your contacts, it can get them from iTunes with this problem.

To get some more information on this program here is the link: Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions :D

Okay, so I've downloaded and installed Kies. I selected an iPhone backup from 6 days ago. It took a few minutes to read the data and then Kies says that the backup has a bad format. And so it doesn't continue. I tried it a few times and nothing worked.

So, luckily I have an ipad3 and I have backed that up. So, I selected its backup to read. First time through, I selected all my data, which is 8GB. Took massively long. So I cancelled it.

Now, I selected just contacts and information. Now Kies reads the information pretty darn fast. Now it's in the process of transferring the read data onto my Note. But so far, it's taken more than 10 minutes. Is this correct? I have less than 150 contacts, and my memos are at most 50. Very little data. Should it take this long?

thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones