• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone vs Desire comparisons... always the same!

Once again, cue the plethora of ill-considered onslaughts based on nothing but over exaggerated stereotypes and misplaced rage towards said fruit-based logo toting devices and their users.

When is it going to dawn on you guys that by making such unfounded comparisons you are simply the equivalent of these 'iFans' you so avidly despise? The iPhone is an excellent device suitable for the vast majority of the population, it is just simply not aimed at people like us. Is that so hard to understand?

Closed systems have POSITIVES as well as the negatives you speak of. For people like us, the negatives outweigh those positives, but for everyone else there are no negatives. My Dad doesn't even know how to change his desktop wallpaper! What does he care about customisation! Try looking at it from the perspective of other people for once instead of through your own closed minded eyes.

Y'know, considering the general consensus seems to be that Desire users are infinitely smarter than iPhone users, sometimes the comments on threads like these really don't give that idea any credibility.

Nobody that I have read in this thread is blindly saying that desire is best or not recognising that others may prefer the ifruit system. However it is true that people can be blind to pros and flaws of each system. What i think most people are rightly annoyed about is the categories reviewers choose to compare tech many of which are superficial and distort the views to suit there own agenda.

some comments on here poke fun sure, but that does not mean that if you read between the lines a fair point is being made. I could write a long account of what I would like changed with android but I still think the reviews are very biased when they compare desire and iphone.

I think like always, people like honesty when reading tech reviews, so that their choices are well informed.

Upvote 0
As I said in another topic, I'm well aware of the Desire's flaws BUT I'm against ANYONE buying hardware purely as a fashion statement or because it's brand X. That's my problem with iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc. You got huge lines during launch day full of ignorant people who buy something they have no clue about. They really are buying blind - they're cattle, sheep, people who seem incapable of having their own thoughts.

So if I see people go "well the iPhone is better" (which I've heard a LOT when they see my Desire) despite not even KNOWING what the iPhone can do and what the Desire can do, it makes my blood boil. Sometimes I want to just LET them all jump on the bandwagon and make it plummet in the Grand Canyon to rid the world of these pests.

Sure, it's their choice if they want to burn money so it will make them look cool but then shut up about it and don't dare to pretend you're anything more than a phoney.

Upvote 0
Which phone is better is almost impossible to decide in a review. The Desire is the phone for me. I have a friend who uses her phone like I do but could care less about rooting, installing non-market apps etc. The iPhone is for her. I have a bunch of friends who want the best communications tool they can get for texts, emails, and calls. The Blackberry is perfect for them.

Upvote 0
OK, those points are fair but still very presumptuous. You are assuming that ALL the users of iPods/iPhones/iPads are blabbering idiots who bought the device as a fashion statement. I own an iPod classic. Not because it's a fashion statement, but because it is simply the best large capacity PMP on the market. I love the software and I adore the click wheel, I think it works excellently for it's purpose and yes, it's a great looking piece of tech. Does that, by your definition, make me a blabbering idiot incapable of making informed buying decisions?

Equally, when a person may argue their iPhone is better, that is down to their personal choice. It may in fact be true; the iPhone may be a better device for their needs. I don't see why that should make your blood boil? How can a persons choice of smartphone, that doesn't effect you in any way, possibly illicit such a reaction? Unless you are somehow insecure about your own buying choice, and so feel it necessary to defend your decision at every opportunity?

In my experience, every single person who I know on a personal level who owns an iPhone is not an 'iFan'. I meet the odd few that are, but on the whole iPhone users are just average people.

they're cattle, sheep, people who seem incapable of having their own thoughts.

Did you ever stop for a second and think that for non-technically minded people the LAST thing they want to do is actually think about these sorts of things? All the confusing jargon and pushy sales people in the phone stores, all the choice of networks/providers, contracts and talk plans. We live in a world where people, quite literally, have better things to do than spend hours researching and debating whether iOS or Android is the better choice for them. They see how simple it is, they see the marketing, they have a play in the Apple stores and they realise how painless the whole process can be with an iPhone. So they buy it and it makes their lives that little bit more exciting/productive/entertaining and they think it's the most wonderful thing in the world.

Remember, when I say the iPhone is a better choice for them that means the whole buying process - from deciding you want/need a new phone to the moment it gets sold/trashed/put in the loft a few years later. iPhones are better choices for so many people because they make the WHOLE process so darn simple for those who have better and more important things to think about.

Is that a problem? Err no, not really.

Upvote 0
it doesnt hide from the majority of iphone users do seem to buy it over fashion rather than functionality.
alot of themm bought out their contracts jut to get the 4 when 3gs could use ios4 and do "most" of the same stuff.
you have to admit that in the large part its about status

most of my family and friends have them. every phone ive owned including my previous android they have shunned without giving it time of day saying "iphone is that good i dont even need my laptop with me" even though my old android phone could keep up with the 3gs.
however they ran the same with me again when i got my desire, but then they play with it and instead of shunning it they just remain silent, give it back to me and go "hmm" and walk off lol

Upvote 0
As I said in another topic, I'm well aware of the Desire's flaws BUT I'm against ANYONE buying hardware purely as a fashion statement or because it's brand X...

...Sure, it's their choice if they want to burn money so it will make them look cool but then shut up about it and don't dare to pretend you're anything more than a phoney.

ok, so we now know your view on the so-called "fashion victims".

but what about the rest of the iPhone buyers who don't really have an opinion about Apple and who just want a nice phone to make some calls, send some text messages and browse the internet. are they all "cattle, sheep, people who seem incapable of having their own thoughts" too?

Upvote 0
ok, so we now know your view on the so-called "fashion victims".

but what about the rest of the iPhone buyers who don't really have an opinion about Apple and who just want a nice phone to make some calls, send some text messages and browse the internet. are they all "cattle, sheep, people who seem incapable of having their own thoughts" too?
those people dont tend to show off about it and pull a pompus face when you start using your device.
those people are nice iphone users that have no loyalty or preference to any brand other than how it works for them.

i think people are generally bashing the iphone loyal brand lovers that bash everything else that does something similar.
its like when iphone users call other touch screen phones copycats. erm hello touch screenphones were out before iphone existed, before it was even in drawing form

Upvote 0
A question about all iPhones: Can you run widgets on them like we can? all I ever see on iPhone's is a grid of icons, but can it run stuff "live" like the weather, news, etc, or is everything operated by selecting the app's icon?

ta
Nah, the iOS desktop is much like the Android's drawer open permanently. I'm not a big fan of its multitasking quality (hardly any), I still use my iPod Touch because of certain apps that can't be found on Android or Blackberry although they're kind of useless (Sim City and Live Cams) other than that I got everything ready to use on my Androids, including *gasp* flash player, Apple won't add flash because they want people buying stuff off the App Store rather than going to flash game and video sites with flash player.

Some Seinfeld humor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYDA7__znfY

Upvote 0
Which phone is better is almost impossible to decide in a review. The Desire is the phone for me. I have a friend who uses her phone like I do but could care less about rooting, installing non-market apps etc. The iPhone is for her. I have a bunch of friends who want the best communications tool they can get for texts, emails, and calls. The Blackberry is perfect for them.
One thing people often forget, is that the things you mention can be easily set up by someone else.

On a PC, some things can be complex to set up but once it's done, it's easy to use - the same goes for Android. Asking a friend to set things up is something a LOT of people do. It's better AND cheaper than just going for the simplest but most expensive solution.

I mean, I got the hang of the Android in a few minutes. Nothing about it required any manual or explanation. If people can't figure out the basics of the Android, they're not fit to drive a car.

Upvote 0
One thing people often forget, is that the things you mention can be easily set up by someone else.

On a PC, some things can be complex to set up but once it's done, it's easy to use - the same goes for Android. Asking a friend to set things up is something a LOT of people do. It's better AND cheaper than just going for the simplest but most expensive solution.

I mean, I got the hang of the Android in a few minutes. Nothing about it required any manual or explanation. If people can't figure out the basics of the Android, they're not fit to drive a car.

That comment is so ridiculous I don't even think it warrants a proper response.

Upvote 0
OK, those points are fair but still very presumptuous. You are assuming that ALL the users of iPods/iPhones/iPads are blabbering idiots who bought the device as a fashion statement. I own an iPod classic. Not because it's a fashion statement, but because it is simply the best large capacity PMP on the market. I love the software and I adore the click wheel, I think it works excellently for it's purpose and yes, it's a great looking piece of tech. Does that, by your definition, make me a blabbering idiot incapable of making informed buying decisions?

Equally, when a person may argue their iPhone is better, that is down to their personal choice. It may in fact be true; the iPhone may be a better device for their needs. I don't see why that should make your blood boil? How can a persons choice of smartphone, that doesn't effect you in any way, possibly illicit such a reaction? Unless you are somehow insecure about your own buying choice, and so feel it necessary to defend your decision at every opportunity?

In my experience, every single person who I know on a personal level who owns an iPhone is not an 'iFan'. I meet the odd few that are, but on the whole iPhone users are just average people.

Did you ever stop for a second and think that for non-technically minded people the LAST thing they want to do is actually think about these sorts of things? All the confusing jargon and pushy sales people in the phone stores, all the choice of networks/providers, contracts and talk plans. We live in a world where people, quite literally, have better things to do than spend hours researching and debating whether iOS or Android is the better choice for them. They see how simple it is, they see the marketing, they have a play in the Apple stores and they realise how painless the whole process can be with an iPhone. So they buy it and it makes their lives that little bit more exciting/productive/entertaining and they think it's the most wonderful thing in the world.

Remember, when I say the iPhone is a better choice for them that means the whole buying process - from deciding you want/need a new phone to the moment it gets sold/trashed/put in the loft a few years later. iPhones are better choices for so many people because they make the WHOLE process so darn simple for those who have better and more important things to think about.

Is that a problem? Err no, not really.

Missed peoples points again I feel, iphone users are idiots if they assume that iphone is best just because its an iphone without research. Oh and if you feel people should still just buy products without research first then all I can say is a fool and his money is easily parted.

I always research before a purchase over 50 quid and I don't think im alone in this. Before you assume, I am well off and still make informed decisions in life.

Peoples opinions on this thread have been fair, including your opinions / views.

Upvote 0
I don't like how itunes works, thus tend to be a little negative about ipods. However after hearing the playback, through almost every ipod type/version, they fail to give me a sound I'm happy with via decent headphones, (yes I use the EQ settings)

I have to say I'm really anal about how I hear music, and found other mobile devices offering a better hi-fi sound I was more happy with. I did own a archos device which when set correctly blew ipods sounds away, but gave it to my daughter for other reasons.

I went without a mobile music device for a year or so, not happy with most that was on offer, even previous mobiles phones dedicated for mp3 playback with headphones. I got the desire, gave it a listen, an again, nope, pretty shite playback via my headphones, and then stumbled across mixzing for Android. Set the eq on that, boost gain and set sliders, a sound I was impressed with for a portable device. Certainly better to my ears than the latest ipods - iphones. This of course is my opinion, and will differ from some.

My old archos, sadly no longer made and broken now was superb. I cant offer the definitive answer on what is best, as its in the eye of the beholder as it were. A lot of other people agree ipods are not the best sounding device. Just get one you can afford, and are happy with.

Upvote 0
I also use my iPod to purchase songs and albums, no point in spending $12 at HMV for a CD I'm not going to pull out of the case more than once and wasting materials. However, I still use my 5 year old Cowon A2 which has my entire library of CD's. I've been slowly migrating those music to my Desire's SD card.

And yeah sound quality isn't all that with the Apple earphones, have you tried different ones?

Upvote 0
If every user would have asked around or looked around to compare players or even TRIED an iPod before buying one, you'd have a point, but they don't, so you don't. I know too many Apple users thanks to being in the graphics industry and they share so many similarities - especially the casual users - and they just buy blindly and won't concern themselves what their device can or can't do.

Look, when you buy a device without looking or asking for alternatives, but simply for that one product without having ever used it, something is wrong. As good as you may like the iPod, most would have been equally happy with another player which does everything they need for a lot less money and in my book, saving money is a good thing.

When asking why they buy one, it's ALWAYS one of the following:
- it looks cool
- they're the best, aren't they?
- it's fashionable

What you say is *maybe* true for a quarter of the market share but don't kid yourself - the rest is pure brand recognition. I'm sorry, but your exceptions won't prove what I've seen all over the Internet and with all the people I've met with Apple gear.

A girl upstairs has an iPhone and the battery died completely and she now lost all her details on the phone. I asked her what she used the phone for because I was curious how bad the loss of data was and she told me "just phoning and messaging". This is the most recent response that I recall that is typical of any Apple user I know.

Can you not read? I thought my English wasn't that bad. I made it VERY clear that it concerned people who don't have a clue what they're buying, have no clue what the alternatives are, have no clue what the advantages/disadvantages are, and who DON'T CARE. It could be a turd in a box and they'd still buy it - that's what annoys me.

You're basically saying "People are so ignorant, they'll just hop on the brand they recognise the most to make it easy" which is ... what I just said and you disagreed. :rolleyes: Well done. How's the foot you just shot yourself in? That's my whole points - people go for Apple not because it's the better choice but because they're led to believe it's the ONLY choice for whatever reason.

And my Desire worked perfectly out of the box. I can't see how an iPhone is any simpler for basic use. I passed it on to my father's girlfriend who is a technophobe and she was impressed and managed to surf and use the apps with ease.

You may think the car driving comment of mine is ridiculous, but it isn't. A car with manual transmission is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more complex to drive than using the Desire for basic tasks. Do you honestly claim the opposite?

Reactions: wellibob
Upvote 0
I agree with Red, i like him :rolleyes:

And may I add that my dislike for this attitude is purely fueled because I'm in direct contact with many people like that who manage to convince others to part with more money than needed for something they don't even need. I'm sorry, but I just don't like the capitalistic view of deceiving people and seducing them on the basis of advertising and marketing instead of actual quality and features.

Upvote 0
Oh for sure, there are better sounding players out there, but you pay a hefty price increase for them. Plus, it's like I said before, you really can't get a more comprehensive large capacity MP3 player for the money than the Classic. And it actually sounds really good through a good set of cans, much better than it's smaller siblings. But hey, don't listen to me, what do I know? I'm only an audio engineer :rolleyes:

You're basically saying "People are so ignorant, they'll just hop on the brand they recognise the most to make it easy" which is ... what I just said and you disagreed.

No, that's not what I said. Or what I meant, so stop trying to twist my words. I bought a car the other day. It's nothing special but it's got everything I look for in a car. Yeah sure if I'd have looked around for a bit longer I may have gotten something else that had a few extra perks, but the sale was quick and painless and to be honest, I don't care enough about cars to bother spending a disproportionate amount of time looking for alternatives. All I know is, the price was about right, it was in impeccable condition for it's age and I liked it. Does this automatically make me an ignorant, brain dead moron in your book? It must do....

Anyway, OK fine, I'm tired of fighting with you. All iPhone users are pompous, moronic lemmings with no brain. They buy things because they're simple; iPhones are for brain dead simpletons. You have managed to categorically prove, through nothing more than some over exaggerated stereo types based on nothing more than personal experience that the whole entire Apple user base has a collective IQ of 6.

Or maybe, we've just had different experiences of Apple users. Who knows...

Oh but on a side note, driving a car is a completely different to operating a mobile phone. My grandad can drive, has done for many years but can only just about operate a 5 channel analogue TV set. Hell, if we're really lucky he can still use his VCR on the odd occasion! It's a totally different discipline, that's like comparing cooking the perfect souffl

Upvote 0
Oh for sure, there are better sounding players out there, but you pay a hefty price increase for them. Plus, it's like I said before, you really can't get a more comprehensive large capacity MP3 player for the money than the Classic. And it actually sounds really good through a good set of cans, much better than it's smaller siblings. But hey, don't listen to me, what do I know? I'm only an audio engineer :rolleyes:
Yet other audio engineers gladly disagree with you. They don't even support FLAC files last I heard. Plenty of mp3 players sound better for less money - where you get the idea that this isn't so, is beyond me. I have a few sites bookmarked who have experts (and also audio experts) on board who have done extensive tests (and of course their personal opinion) and while the iPods always rated highly, they were far from the best one out there and when the iPod was then put in a price/quality/quantity scale, it was usually not even in the top 5 or top 10.

Oh, and because of the many mp3 players supporting SD cards, I strongly disagree with the "large capacity" part. SD cards are pretty cheap and a lot handier - even the iPhone 4 STILL does not support them just like the inability to replace your battery which has always been a weakness of the iPod series as well.

No, that's not what I said. Or what I meant, so stop trying to twist my words. I bought a car the other day. It's nothing special but it's got everything I look for in a car. Yeah sure if I'd have looked around for a bit longer I may have gotten something else that had a few extra perks, but the sale was quick and painless and to be honest, I don't care enough about cars to bother spending a disproportionate amount of time looking for alternatives. All I know is, the price was about right, it was in impeccable condition for it's age and I liked it. Does this automatically make me an ignorant, brain dead moron in your book? It must do....
It does actually, if that car costs twice what another car would have cost you just because you were too lazy to look around. We have a word for people like that here: "idiots". That's like wanting to buy a house and just hopping at the first house I find, refusing to look at other houses, and paying twice of what the real market value is. If you think that's no problem, you seriously need your brain checked, I'm sorry to say. You DO know an iPhone costs twice what a Desire costs in many parts of the world, right? RIGHT? 899 euros for an iPhone 16GB here, 420 euros for a HTC Desire. Well, I can get that down to 780 euros if I shop in other European countries but that's still 360 euros more expensive for a phone with similar power (but less features).

Oh but on a side note, driving a car is a completely different to operating a mobile phone. My grandad can drive, has done for many years but can only just about operate a 5 channel analogue TV set. Hell, if we're really lucky he can still use his VCR on the odd occasion! It's a totally different discipline, that's like comparing cooking the perfect souffl

Upvote 0
Yet other audio engineers gladly disagree with you. They don't even support FLAC files last I heard. Plenty of mp3 players sound better for less money - where you get the idea that this isn't so, is beyond me. I have a few sites bookmarked who have experts (and also audio experts) on board who have done extensive tests (and of course their personal opinion) and while the iPods always rated highly, they were far from the best one out there and when the iPod was then put in a price/quality/quantity scale, it was usually not even in the top 5 or top 10.

I'm sure they do, but many would also agree with me (depending on who you talk to, of course.) You also have to remember the iPod has a large ecosystem of other products and accessories to back it up. Plus I don't use FLAC, all my files are ALAC encoded from CD's so it's fine. Oh and yeah, it does look pretty good for an MP3 player, which believe it or not is a factor I considered when buying it.

It does actually, if that car costs twice what another car would have cost you just because you were too lazy to look around. We have a word for people like that here: "idiots". That's like wanting to buy a house and just hopping at the first house I find, refusing to look at other houses, and paying twice of what the real market value is. If you think that's no problem, you seriously need your brain checked, I'm sorry to say. You DO know an iPhone costs twice what a Desire costs in many parts of the world, right? RIGHT? 899 euros for an iPhone 16GB here, 420 euros for a HTC Desire. Well, I can get that down to 780 euros if I shop in other European countries but that's still 360 euros more expensive for a phone with similar power (but less features).

Well the car cost me about

Upvote 0
Missed peoples points again I feel, iphone users are idiots if they assume that iphone is best just because its an iphone without research. Oh and if you feel people should still just buy products without research first then all I can say is a fool and his money is easily parted.

I always research before a purchase over 50 quid and I don't think im alone in this. Before you assume, I am well off and still make informed decisions in life.

Peoples opinions on this thread have been fair, including your opinions / views.

Sorry dude, missed your post there.

Just wanted to say on a side note that I made no assumptions about your income or anyones income for that matter and of course, I'm not trying to say anyone else's views are not valid. I really do hope that none of this is taken to be a personal attack for that matter, simply a friendly (if slightly heated) debate about a subject we're all passionate about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones