• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ipone vs android APP MARKET

Hey guys, so I've read a lot of iphone vs. andoid phone threads but I wanted to gain insight from people who have experience using both of these said devices APP MARKETS. From a lot of my friends who use iphone4, they're biggest complaint is how you can only get approved apple applications unless you jailbreak. They feel that it can be very limiting at times. I'm wondering how does the android market compare and is there a lot more freedom and user made content? (I'm considering the samsung captivate.)

Thanks!

The iPhone app market is a well refined system, whereas the Android App market is the wild-wild-west of app stores. Each has its upsides and downsides.

The iPhone apps are approved by Apple and meet a standard of quality. Android apps can be thrown together in a day and get posted to download with no standard of quality.

Apple rejects a lot of apps just because of various reasons. Android lets you download anything you want.

The positives and negatives can go on and on. Personally, I like the freedom Android gives me, although I do miss having someone apply quality standards to apps. There are a TON of garbage apps for Android. Just got to spend more time weeding through the crap.

Upvote 0
Yes, the short version is the app approval process for the Android market is not nearly as strict as the Apple app store. This is both good and bad depending on how you look at it.

Honestly the biggest difference for me is that on Android you can install an application outside of the market. So even if it's not posted on the market, not approved, pulled, etc. You can still download it from other sources to your phone and install it.

Although if you're looking at a Captivate I believe AT&T won't let you install applications outside of the market (side load), although there are ways around it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones