Is 30% battery depletion within 1 hour with constant use normal?

Last Updated:

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not sure if this is considered normal or a battery "issue" but when I browse the internet over an hour, i notice that the battery drops 30% consistently according to JuicePlotter. when I sleep for 6-8 hours, the battery drops only 2-3%.

EDIT: i'm using 3g at my house and i get full bars. my battery also seems to get hot too, hovers around 38-40C.

Advertisement
  2. supaumar

supaumar Well-Known Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

3. ekang

ekang Well-Known Member

Seems pretty normal. you have to also consider what you are using to browse...3g, 4g, or WiFi will all affect battery usage differently and how strong the signal is.

4. LETHALOTT

LETHALOTT Member

it was normal to me untill i downloaded the TASK MANAGER off the market and i go all day without charging and hours on the phone without turning screen off! Try It
    you will surprise how many apps stay running on the background while your screen stays off its a Battery saver =)
    hope this helps you a bit

5. tracerit

i don't have a problem when i'm not using the phone, it's when i do, it just eats the battery up. i'm also in the group that prefers to let the phone take care of the tasks.

6. baseballjones18

baseballjones18 New Member

yea no worries my battery is pretty shitty too. but then again i have weather and aim running in the back ground.

one tip is the task manager app. it can kill apps taht youre not using atm so that saved my battery like 10%

7. LETHALOTT

LETHALOTT Member

I know, i did say i had the same problem of the battery with going under 30-20 percent after one hour or less of usage....
    such as browsing net n txt only and not shutting down the screen!
    and i also was one of the ones not wanting to mess with the task manager,
    but that Task Manager is only for all the apps u open while on your phone such as gallery social apps browser and so on, as they stayed open and draining my battery even if i had my screen on or off or press back to home , thats why i said you will b surprise how many apps stay running on the background draining your battery while your on one only app such as just browsing .
    and once i gave it a try my battery goes on all day without recharging it , and i be multitasking.
    all im saying is it doesn't hurt to try the app ;)cuz once i tried it i had to put it on my main Home screen on how much it keeps my battery running all day of nonstop use!
    if u dont like it u can always uninstall...

8. lillygirl7

lillygirl7 Well-Known Member

That's average for me.

9. ekang

ekang Well-Known Member

Adjust your screen brightness to a lower setting if youre going to browse the internet for an extended time.

10. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

You can get somewhere between 4 - 5 hours out of the phone with straight use, 4 hours for heavy gaming, 5 hours for browsing since between loads it actually uses very little battery...

I ran non stop many times from 100% to 5%... Quickest from 100% to 5% was playing Dungeon Hunter 3 1/2 hour straight... Airplane mode too mind you...

11. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Do you not have WiFi at home. I mean I know people want to use the 3G as much as possible because we are paying premium for it but I stay on WiFi 100% at home and at the office. It definitely saves me some battery

12. namoroman

namoroman Well-Known Member

Wi-Fi uses less battery than 3G, am I right? I have a friend that says its the other way around but I think they are wrong. (I use wi-fi at home and 3G when out & about)

13. kmoon89

kmoon89 Well-Known Member

My battery has been sucking lately even though it used to last 10+ hours on moderate usage. Now it's down to about 20% within an hour or two of playing around. I know that wifi uses less juice (and I'm usually just at home), but if I'm paying for a rather pricey plan, I'm going to use it, hah.

14. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Wifi's definitely more efficient than 3G so using it at home is highly recommended. 30% drain would be normal for constant 3G use for an hour, but wifi would be around 20% based on my experience. The biggest difference though is I'd get more done in that hour with wifi because it's almost 10x faster downloading and up to 5x faster uploading than 3G.

I wish I had Wimax though. Even though it drains battery fast, I used it this weekend for mins and it was almost identical speed as wifi on downloads. Uploads are capped so it can't match wifi uploads even though theoretically it could.

15. kamikazekyle

kamikazekyle Well-Known Member

Check your background apps. I know that Last.FM was really eating my battery, and that was when I wasn't using it. It uses the system services, so the android system was *sending* hundreds of megs of data all of a sudden, and it practically destroyed my battery life. I got rid of it, and suddenly my battery can last nearly two days with (my version of) moderate use.

What made matters worse is that it was using system services to do the data exchange, so Last.FM didn't even appear on the list of apps using battery or CPU time (System Monitor). I only found out when digging through spare parts and found out that WiFi was on pretty much non-stop, and that when my phone was in Airplane mode the battery hardly budged.

16. nRRe

nRRe Well-Known Member

I can get about 3 1/2 to 4 hours of non-stop SNESoid gaming, texting, and browsing the net.

I use WiFi if it's available. No 4g in my area yet...on the Clear map, it's literally 5 miles away from me. sooooo close

17. tracerit

Tested it again and with WiFi its a 20% depletion within an hour which is acceptable.

I've also noticed that even though the phone only drains 2-3% when I sleep, that it'll drain quickly at about 9% the first 10-15minutes that I use the phone after wake up. This is pretty disappointing since it means the calculation isn't correct.