• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is 30% battery depletion within 1 hour with constant use normal?

tracerit

Android Enthusiast
May 7, 2010
Orange County, CA
I'm not sure if this is considered normal or a battery "issue" but when I browse the internet over an hour, i notice that the battery drops 30% consistently according to JuicePlotter. when I sleep for 6-8 hours, the battery drops only 2-3%.

EDIT: i'm using 3g at my house and i get full bars. my battery also seems to get hot too, hovers around 38-40C.

I know, i did say i had the same problem of the battery with going under 30-20 percent after one hour or less of usage....
such as browsing net n txt only and not shutting down the screen!
and i also was one of the ones not wanting to mess with the task manager,
but that Task Manager is only for all the apps u open while on your phone such as gallery social apps browser and so on, as they stayed open and draining my battery even if i had my screen on or off or press back to home , thats why i said you will b surprise how many apps stay running on the background draining your battery while your on one only app such as just browsing .
and once i gave it a try my battery goes on all day without recharging it , and i be multitasking.
all im saying is it doesn't hurt to try the app ;)cuz once i tried it i had to put it on my main Home screen on how much it keeps my battery running all day of nonstop use!
if u dont like it u can always uninstall...

Upvote 0
You can get somewhere between 4 - 5 hours out of the phone with straight use, 4 hours for heavy gaming, 5 hours for browsing since between loads it actually uses very little battery...

I ran non stop many times from 100% to 5%... Quickest from 100% to 5% was playing Dungeon Hunter 3 1/2 hour straight... Airplane mode too mind you...

Upvote 0
Wifi's definitely more efficient than 3G so using it at home is highly recommended. 30% drain would be normal for constant 3G use for an hour, but wifi would be around 20% based on my experience. The biggest difference though is I'd get more done in that hour with wifi because it's almost 10x faster downloading and up to 5x faster uploading than 3G.

I wish I had Wimax though. Even though it drains battery fast, I used it this weekend for mins and it was almost identical speed as wifi on downloads. Uploads are capped so it can't match wifi uploads even though theoretically it could.

Upvote 0
Check your background apps. I know that Last.FM was really eating my battery, and that was when I wasn't using it. It uses the system services, so the android system was *sending* hundreds of megs of data all of a sudden, and it practically destroyed my battery life. I got rid of it, and suddenly my battery can last nearly two days with (my version of) moderate use.

What made matters worse is that it was using system services to do the data exchange, so Last.FM didn't even appear on the list of apps using battery or CPU time (System Monitor). I only found out when digging through spare parts and found out that WiFi was on pretty much non-stop, and that when my phone was in Airplane mode the battery hardly budged.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones