• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is anyone else having problems getting their GPS to lock on a location?

CFD323

Mar 31, 2010
My Incredible would lock onto my location in a second or 2 but this Thunderbolt sometimes takes up to 2 mins! I love this phone but this issue alone might make me return this thing.

I called tech support last night and was told this is a known issue but that the only thing I could do is to go to Settings, Location, uncheck and then check Standalone GPS Services, and then reboot the phone. That worked a couple times but now it's not working again.

I see some people in here are having no problems but I thought I saw a few who were having trouble. Has anyone got any ideas for a fix? I would think that if some phones work and some don't I must have a defective one I guess. I'll be going to Verizon to swap this out...:mad:

My Thunderbolt definitely takes longer than my Incredible did to lock on to GPS. Usually it locks on in ten to twenty seconds or so (as opposed to the Inc that would typically just take two or three seconds). A couple times it took a minute or so.

Annoying, but not worth returning at this point. If it got much worse I'd think about it, but for now I can live with it.

Upvote 0
yep. this is my phones only issue so far. it often shows me one hundred miles or so from my current location. when i go to maps some times it locks on within seconds and some time it never locks in at all. i called for support and the rep had me do a factory reset. seems to be helping so far. i have until thursday to swap it out for a worry free exchange and if it does it again i will.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. This seemed to work for me:

I downloaded "GPS Status & Toolbox" by EclipSim from the Market. Under "Menu", "Tools", click on "Manage A-GPS state". Then press "Download" to get GPS assistance data from the internet. That's not enough though, you have to press "Reset", which clears all cached GPS data. When I did this, I got a fix quickly.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

Upvote 0
My wife's and mine are both slow to pick up. My Incredible was always picked up right away. So fast I never noticed it trying. Mine looses signal while I'm driving. I use it for navigation everyday for work. My Incredible never gave me a problem. This one has gotten me lost while it was looking for a signal. Maybe it's area related. I'm in NW Houston TX.

Upvote 0
I downloaded "GPS Status & Toolbox" by EclipSim from the Market. Under "Menu", "Tools", click on "Manage A-GPS state". Then press "Download" to get GPS assistance data from the internet. That's not enough though, you have to press "Reset", which clears all cached GPS data. When I did this, I got a fix quickly.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

This seemed to work for me.

Upvote 0
It appears there is a GPS cache somewhere on this phone that caches old GPS information and causes everything to slow down. All I have to do is clear the GPS cache with the "GPS Status & Toolbox" and it fixes this problem.

I'm wondering if we can get the ROM or Kernel modified by XDA to auto clear GPS cache when the GPS is turned off so this problem is invisible to us....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones