• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root is anyone else having this problem with ROMs?

imabitfighty

Sep 16, 2012
Highland Park
Alright, so in every ROM i try, i get this problem. I just want to know if this is common to everyone.

heres my process, so we aren't confused about whats happening, I do this regardless of rom.

1. full wipe, install rom.
2. sign into two google accounts, sync gmail on two and contacts on 1.
3. install my apps, mostly sign in services but I set all of them to only get notifications if I open them. and I DO NOT have facebook installed or any social networking app like twitter, gplus or anything else.

now what happens is, for the first week, its GREAT, battery life is AWESOME, I lose less than 2% overnight not plugged in, even with wifi on.

i usually leave wifi on even when I leave the house, because battery life is so great I never see the hit.

now after that first week I start having problems.

first problem. when I wake the phone inside my phone house, wifi is on but REFUSES to find my home network. absolutely refuses. it believes its not in range. I have to turn the wifi radio off and back on. EVERY. TIME. I. UNLOCK. MY. PHONE.

second problem. after that first week, wifi starts doing this thing where it SAYS its connected but EVERY app that accesses the internet gives me errors about connection. i get it in the browser, engadget and everywhere else. my router is fine, all laptops and other phones connected work, but I have to turn off wifi in the phone or reboot it to make it work. and this happens every 30 mins.. so you can see it pisses me off to no end.

third problem.

battery life is gone. since the first week where I had great battery life, I have not installed any new apps or changed any settings. the power usage report shows the screen to be using the most power and everything else seems within normal ranges as compared to the good battery life week.

if I know the phone is going to be sleeping for awhile like overnight or while im driving, I hold home and swipe away all the apps, and i turn wifi off. but even with that, im losing so much batter.

for example, last night I let the phone charge to 100, closed all apps and turned off wifi, turned on "save power" and let it sit overnight.

8 hours later when I wake up this morning its at 3% and I have to plug it in.

power usage doesn't show anything abnormal.

flashing new rom with same procedure fixes it for one week.

btw i do not overclock or touch cpu settings, keep in mind the first entire week of a fresh rom is FINE.

does this happen to anyone else? im tired of constantly re installing all my stuff just to have decent battery life...

Alright, so in every ROM i try, i get this problem. I just want to know if this is common to everyone.

heres my process, so we aren't confused about whats happening, I do this regardless of rom.

1. full wipe, install rom.
2. sign into two google accounts, sync gmail on two and contacts on 1.
3. install my apps, mostly sign in services but I set all of them to only get notifications if I open them. and I DO NOT have facebook installed or any social networking app like twitter, gplus or anything else.

now what happens is, for the first week, its GREAT, battery life is AWESOME, I lose less than 2% overnight not plugged in, even with wifi on.

i usually leave wifi on even when I leave the house, because battery life is so great I never see the hit.

now after that first week I start having problems.

first problem. when I wake the phone inside my phone house, wifi is on but REFUSES to find my home network. absolutely refuses. it believes its not in range. I have to turn the wifi radio off and back on. EVERY. TIME. I. UNLOCK. MY. PHONE.

second problem. after that first week, wifi starts doing this thing where it SAYS its connected but EVERY app that accesses the internet gives me errors about connection. i get it in the browser, engadget and everywhere else. my router is fine, all laptops and other phones connected work, but I have to turn off wifi in the phone or reboot it to make it work. and this happens every 30 mins.. so you can see it pisses me off to no end.

third problem.

battery life is gone. since the first week where I had great battery life, I have not installed any new apps or changed any settings. the power usage report shows the screen to be using the most power and everything else seems within normal ranges as compared to the good battery life week.

if I know the phone is going to be sleeping for awhile like overnight or while im driving, I hold home and swipe away all the apps, and i turn wifi off. but even with that, im losing so much batter.

for example, last night I let the phone charge to 100, closed all apps and turned off wifi, turned on "save power" and let it sit overnight.

8 hours later when I wake up this morning its at 3% and I have to plug it in.

power usage doesn't show anything abnormal.

flashing new rom with same procedure fixes it for one week.

btw i do not overclock or touch cpu settings, keep in mind the first entire week of a fresh rom is FINE.

does this happen to anyone else? im tired of constantly re installing all my stuff just to have decent battery life...

What are all the apps that you use? Basically every downloaded app

Upvote 0
What are all the apps that you use? Basically every downloaded app

first thing i do is the ad away app to stop as many ads as possible.

the apps i download usually are (besides the standard google apps like g voice/maps/youtube/etc)

engadget
opera mobile
sms backup and restore
speed test
zedge (i actually dont use this anymore now that i think about it)

thats it.

none of these apps or services related to these show up in "battery usage" when im in the horrific battery drain stage right before I flash a new rom.

Upvote 0
but it happens in different roms, and these roms come with different kernels. how will that help?

You didn't mention what Roms you've tried. Its entirely possible they all use the same stock kernel.

My suggestion: download either better battery stats or gsam battery monitor and let it do its thing for a few days. Many times BBS will actually identify the problem for you and recommend a solution.

Upvote 0
You didn't mention what Roms you've tried. Its entirely possible they all use the same stock kernel.

My suggestion: download either better battery stats or gsam battery monitor and let it do its thing for a few days. Many times BBS will actually identify the problem for you and recommend a solution.

first real good suggestion.

doing that, thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones