• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Caller ID Name Not Accessible as a field variable in Call Spam Blocking Apps?

consultant

Aug 13, 2012
Wondering if any developers here can confirm the following:

On virtually all Phone / Call apps, you'll see the Caller ID Name for incoming calls (where the name isn't blocked, or the number isn't in your Contact list). I get semi-frequent scam/sales calls and they are all from numbers that no person or company name comes up, only the phone number. Since the Caller ID name is displayed when there is one, I would assume the Android Call apps have access to this data value.

Yet, all call blocking features I've seen in all apps I've tried, only have the ability to manually block the number, or, enable a setting to block all calls from numbers not in your Contact list. I'm just flabbergasted that none of these apps also have the option to "Block all calls with no Caller ID Name that are not in your contact list." If the Caller ID Name value comes across as the phone number itself, the app can easily see that it matches or that there are no letters in the Caller ID Name and block it. The only reason I can think of that this type of blocking feature isn't available in a single call app is that for some reason the Caller ID Name is displayed by the system, not the app, and the app doesn't have the ability to read the Caller ID Name Value? I would be really surprised if that were the case as it doesn't make sense that the app displays it but can't perform any feature based on the Caller ID Name value???

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones