• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

is it possible to record your phone conversations?

Holy Toledo has this thread gotten off-topic. I thought it was about the availability, or lack thereof, of a call recording app for Android - not the legality of call recording.

internet-serious-business.jpg

Upvote 0
If there is a way be advised that it is not legal to record phone calls without telling the other person that you are doing it.

Google the federal and your state laws regarding this before you record a phone call.

This is not true. The laws regarding phone conversation recordings says that at least one party in the conversation must give consent. So, as a party in the conversation, it is legal for you to record the conversation without telling the other party or parties.

Upvote 0
Can we get back to the question about how to do this, please? You folks arguing about the legality of this need to take it elsewhere.

I use recording software all the time on my landline, because I do phone interviews with people for projects I'm writing. I tell everyone up front that I'm recording the conversation so that I don't have to call them back and ask the same questions over again. Nobody has any trouble with this.

The problem I have is that I can only do this on my land line right now. I'd like the flexibility to do this when I'm not near my land line. I'd also like to be able to insert tags into the audio file as it's being recorded so that I can jump right back to those spots when I want to go over what was said at that particular moment. Any ideas???

Upvote 0
Yes please, i second that, let's keep aside legalities and try and first find an app that works - it is a simply fucntion, just record what the device hears, kind of like the screen capture mp3 recorders on the comp that record every sound that you can hear on the speakers. I fail to understand why after so long, for a platform as big as Android, has no one managed to develop a working call recorder app!! It's simply amazing. I'm keeping my search alive though, i will retry all the apps once again, maybe i did some mistake in the settings, and i will post about how they worked this time around (i hope some update must have made at least one app function proper).

Upvote 0
I've heard that the problem is in the hardware. The only microphone on your unit, is too far away from the speaker so it can't record the incoming sound with reliable quality.

I'd search for reviews from fellow owners OF YOUR PHONE MODEL. When you find the app that works best on YOUR PHONE, please post it for the rest of us.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
i have used call recorder extensively on my HTC Wildfire (running very perfectly), It was rooted and was running CyanogenMod. Well call recording also worked on Samsung Galaxy 3,Galaxy pop, Galaxy Fit,LG Optimus 1. Callrecorders did not work at all on Samsung Galaxy S and S2,HTC Sensation,HTC Wildfire S, HTC Incredible S ,LG Optimus 2X and various other new generation devices, seems Google changed the coding to stop this, as it is illegal in US.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones