• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible to root my device

I own a sprint SM960u galaxy s9 with the snapdragon chipset and android 9. There is no option in the developer settings to turn on oem unlock and I've heard that the bootloader in the US versions are locked. So is there no way to root my device?
As far as I know there is no root for this device. Samsung used to be root friendly, but not anymore. If you want root friendly devices you're better off with Pixels or Motorolas.

For now just enjoy your S9 stock till your next device.

Upvote 0
Don’t. Just don’t. You’ll lose major functionality in your phone as installing a custom recovery will permanently void your warranty (Samsung Knox, the bane of Samsung developers, will kick in and permanently modify your processor to trip the phone’s warranty status to ‘void’ forever.) Many apps and benefits associated with your phone (and Samsung phones in general) will not work (e.g. Samsung Health, Secure Folder, etc.)

Upvote 0
The warranty is a genuine concern. Other stuff it depends on whether these things are important to you (e.g. I personally wouldn't give a damn about Samsung Health or Samsung Pay, but for others these might be vital. Actually as a matter of principle I will never use a manufacturer-specific app because the purpose of those is to lock you in to that manufacturer).

I would always recommend anyone thinking about rooting to do their research first and ensure they understand what it involves, the pros and cons, as well as exactly how to do it and how to recover if it goes wrong, before they do anything. And I speak as someone who for many years would routinely root my devices, replace the ROM, even modify the system partition table or the bootloader, so not someone averse to fiddling.

But in this case I don't think it matters, because the option AFAIK isn't available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones