• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it really this complicated?

tinymandolin

Jun 5, 2010
Hi, I just received my (sprint) HTC CDMA Hero yesterday (06/04).

It is:
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband: 2.42.01.01.27
Software#: 2.27.651.6

In an effort to remove unnessary apps that it came with (Sprint Nascar & Sprint NFL) I have been trying to research how to delete them. I'm not interested in any further changes to my phone.

But everything I've read says I need to make sure to do a flash and nandroid first for backup, but before I can do that I need to root the phone, and then w/ rooting there are tons of instructions on how to root for the 1.5 firmware and just yesterday or so the 2.1 was successfully rooted, but it seems like it was rooted for 2.27.651.5 ... I don't want to brick my phone by attempting to root when my software went ahead and did the OTA so now it's a 2.27.651.6 ...

I'm completely new at this. These terms -- mounting, rooting, flash recovery image, etc. -- is all so new and unfamiliar. All I want to do is delete the very basic stock apps that came with the phone. That is all, nothing else. Just get rid of the Sprint NFL & Nascar, etc. apps so I can free up space and keep the battery from draining all the time. I don't want to use a Task Killer if I don't have to, I'd rather just get rid of the unneccessary stuff.

Would anyone be kind enough to give me the Rooting for Dummies walk-thru? All the walkthrus I've read, even the ones that say they are simple, leave me with a few questions. If anyone is willing to help me out by guiding me to the simplest, easiest, cleanest way to root my phone & get rid of those apps, that'd be great, cause that's all I want to do.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :eek:

If all you're looking to do is delete some unnecessary apps, then no it's not that complicated.

Simply, you need to download App Manager from the market. Once it's installed, open it. Find the apps on the list you want to get rid of them, click and hold on them on the list and select 'uninstall', and that should sort it for you.

You shouldn't need to root just to get rid of a couple of programs.

Upvote 0
If all you're looking to do is delete some unnecessary apps, then no it's not that complicated.

Simply, you need to download App Manager from the market. Once it's installed, open it. Find the apps on the list you want to get rid of them, click and hold on them on the list and select 'uninstall', and that should sort it for you.

You shouldn't need to root just to get rid of a couple of programs.

Even the stock apps that the phone came with automatically? These aren't apps that I've download myself, it's what was with the phone. I heard you have to root to get in and get rid of them.

Upvote 0
Even the stock apps that the phone came with automatically? These aren't apps that I've download myself, it's what was with the phone. I heard you have to root to get in and get rid of them.

You should be able to delete them with the app manager as far as I'm aware. All I can suggest is to download the app manager and try it to be honest. Hopefully that should work for you.

If that doesn't work, and you have no interest in using custom roms and such like, then the safest thing to do is try to ignore the apps being there as in my personal opinion, it isn't worth they time it takes rooting if all you're intending to do is delete a couple of apps. Especially as rooting your handset will void the warranty.

:)

Upvote 0
You should be able to delete them with the app manager as far as I'm aware. All I can suggest is to download the app manager and try it to be honest. Hopefully that should work for you.

If that doesn't work, and you have no interest in using custom roms and such like, then the safest thing to do is try to ignore the apps being there as in my personal opinion, it isn't worth they time it takes rooting if all you're intending to do is delete a couple of apps. Especially as rooting your handset will void the warranty.

:)

I wouldn't care so much about the apps really, if it weren't for the fact that they drain the battery so much and take up so much space. People who've rooted and got rid of them have expressed a huge difference in the way their phone runs, so I'm turning green with jealousy as I want to do the same thing ... but of course the day that 2.1 gets rooted is also the day I let my Hero download the 6/4 OTA which completely nullifies the root of 2.1 ... just my luck :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones