Is the Note 2 any good? I'm getting worried.....General

1. menmyjeep

menmyjeep Well-Known Member

Is the Galaxy Note 2 any good? I'm getting worried because I want to get this phone badly but the lack of praise this device is getting from the lucky ones to have already received it is worrying me. I was expecting to see many very positive posts about this phone by now and they are just not happening. It's been extremely quiet in that regards.

Anyone? If you have this phone can you give your 2 cents worth? Good, bad or otherwise would be appreciated in helping me make a decision on whether to get this phone or not.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Ahmed Alzayani

Ahmed Alzayani Active Member

For me it's the best smartphone out there for now , As an original Galaxy Note owner it worth the upgrade , but it's not a leap it's a one step up, everything in the Note 2 is a better experience , The only thing i miss from my original Note is the black color (which give the device a sleeker look ).

Compare to the original Note ... You get
    • Faster CPU+GPU
    • Double the Ram
    • Improved display with no pentile
    • Improved S pen and improved wacom sensor
    • Much faster and sleeker software
    • Improved battery life
    • Improve glass (Corning Gorilla Glass 2)
    • Improved camera
    • Improved audio quality
    • NFC support
    breadnatty08 and menmyjeep like this.
  3. mdr76

mdr76 Member

It's not getting much praise because we're too busy loving the phone to talk. I love my Note 2 it is, without a doubt, the best phone I've ever owned.
    menmyjeep likes this.
  4. wyndslash

wyndslash Well-Known Member

i'm very excited to get mine :D and i've never been this excited about a phone before! or any sort of device, actually...
    menmyjeep likes this.
  5. Devention

Devention New Member

Agreed. You'll wonder how you ever made do with a smaller screen. There is no buyers remorse to worry about. Just smugness ;D
  6. Teophne

Teophne Member

Being a gamer at heart and owning an iPhone I often read TouchArcade forums. Wrote a post there that I was making a switch and one of the replies said this:

Even though I had read a lot about differences in iOS and Android this was the first that really got me into thinking. I'm still getting the Note2 but this post here is something to think about.

Any comments?
  7. wyndslash

Android meets my needs, ios doesn't.that's enough to make me stay with android
  8. casarosa

casarosa Well-Known Member

Brilliant phone what more can I say people have already said it.
  9. animal47

animal47 Well-Known Member

The main thing i am looking forward to is the reported decent battery life for once. I have spent the last 2 years with a desire hd and am used to 2.5 hrs of video playback and around 2 hrs of web browsing before needing to reach for the charger so the reported 12 hrs of video and 9 hrs of web are a massive deal to me and i doubt it will be long before the market is flooded with huge battery upgrades like with the original note.
  10. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

Coming from note 1 this is a significant improvement in terms of performance.
    Very happy.
  11. FCUM

FCUM Well-Known Member

Ive just upgraded from a DHD and even with all the good reviews its even better than I expected it to be.

I just cant get over how responsive and snappy it is.
    Apps that I couldnt use on my DHD because they were slow or laggy are just so smooth to use. Its like a whole new world of apps are now available to me.

Best phone I have ever used. Cant imagine how it could be any better.
  12. Craigie

Craigie Member

To be honest that's a very one dimensional view and very exaggerated too. The fact you yourself are in a similar place but making the switch says it all because once you've touched a bigger screen how is any normal person meant to 'game' on an iPhone? The screen is minuscule at 3.5 inches and even the new one is only 4.0inches and you get the impression that's simply to fit another line of apps on your home screen rather than making it better for gaming etc.

For a male my hands are a bit smaller than average and I had a Samsung galaxy s and struggled to game on it (4.0 inch screen) and upgraded to galaxy s2 (4.3inch) which is loads better but still not perfect. I've had so many Samsungs that if the iPhone 5 was the same sort of proportions as say a galaxy s3 I may have made the switch there but apple are ridiculous in that they refuse to release a range of products.

Even the mid range android phones all have a minimum of 4.3inch screens or so, and the top end ones are around 4.6-4.8 which I think is the optimum kind of size but then you have two notes over 5.3 inches and a couple of rival copycats coming out, but knowing apple they will be stubborn and most likely stick with a 4inch screen for a 5S, a 6 and maybe even a 6S.

My thought on these things is always where will android be in a year or two? New devices push each other to be better and androids market share continues to grow and now really cheap android phones are not half bad where a year ago they were awful so more people will be able to use better apps and games which means more and more devs with be making games/apps for Android. IPads are great but on the move the iPhone is not where gaming will be at in the future
  13. rsmin

rsmin Well-Known Member

Check out phonedog on you tube. He is doing one of his 30 trials of it now and you can tell he really loves the phone. I have the galaxy nexus and love it, but I am not up for an upgrade right now or I would seriously consider the note 2.
  14. ORD84

ORD84 Well-Known Member

To anyone that has the phone, how long are you guys getting on battery life? I'm a moderate heavy user(reading, music, games, and texting) so I'm very interested to hear how long the battery lasts while the screen is basically constantly on...
  15. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Well, this is the screen-on time I got on my first full charge with 18 hours on battery (at home, connected to WiFi for all but one hour where I was on 3G with max screen brightness while out and about):

[​IMG]

Basically don't worry about battery life.
  16. dave1812

dave1812 Well-Known Member

screenshot shows 8; not 18.
  17. marlbororman

marlbororman Well-Known Member

Im loving mine too, moved to this from a galaxy s1, its superb. 64% battery with 14 hours 3 mins. if i can work out how to do a screen capture i`ll post it. It just dont ever slow down. video playback and clarity of picture is far superior to anything ive ever seen. i work for a company of 300 drivers, and all that have played with it are upgrading to it. Not even gonna charge tonight, i know i can get through another 10 hour shift without !!! very happy, and was worth waiting a month to upgrade. i was on the phone to get it monday as it was released lol
  18. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

That's just screen-on time. I guess he meant it was on battery 18 hours including 8 hours of screen on.
  19. NZtechfreak

Read a bit more carefully, I said the screenshot shows my screen-on time with 18hrs on battery in total. If it isn't obvious that is an incredible result.
  20. Craigie

Craigie Member

Was that all on max brightness NZ or just when you were out?

Its great that the battery life is so good and I'm still amazed that Samsung is still the only top end manufacturer offering this sort of thing with expandable memory and replaceable battery, I can't be the only one who has that as a major deciding factor.
  21. NZtechfreak

Manual brightness when indoors, max brightness needed outdoors only (from memory around an hour of those 8 hours). Epic result.
  22. keyan333

keyan333 Well-Known Member

Same over here. I really like the fact it has a removeable battery and a Microsd cards slot. Majo deciding factors for me. It's not even hard to make a phone with both. All phones should have it....

Getting my note 2 this month :)
  23. reburner

reburner Member

I'm 3 days into ownership now after having Iphones since they first came out.
    I'm loving it. In particular:
    the screen real estate and quality;
    the pop out video player;
    being able to have more than one window open;
    the amount of memory (I have a 16gb phone with a 64gb card);
    and the amount of customisation you can do.

The only down side is I keep losing it to the children who are playing with S Note using the pen the whole time. :D
  24. wyndslash

Soo envious of people getting their GN2! I might get it for Christmas, but that's still so far away, lol :D
  25. ren857

ren857 Well-Known Member

I am so sick and tired of iOS users buying cheap Android tablets claiming to "test out the software." The bottom line is: you get what you pay for. That user bought a sub-$200 tablet (with the exception of the Nexus 7) and tried to use it for gaming. It's not gonna work. Cheap android tablets usually have the bottom of the barrel hardware - slow and clunky. Gaming is abysmal on those types of tablets.

The user should have ponied up the money to buy a high-end android tablet - those are the tablets that are comparable to the iPad. But they didn't want to do that. That would make too much sense.