• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the S3 "last year's" technology?

It was released a year ago, so yes, it's last year's technology ;)

Seriously, it's still a powerful device. Of course less so than this year's flagships, but should at least hold its own with this year's mid-range ("at least" because it depends on what you value - if a large screen matters it's going to be better for you). Nobody can know how long it will get software support, but Samsung have kept up support for the previous year's S2, so you'll probably be ok there too.

Still a good phone, and should be cheaper now - a lot more so than the S4. Not the latest and greatest, but depends how much you value that, or whether there's anything the newer flagships bring that's worth it to you. They're in the shops now, so if you are unsure you could have a look before deciding.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome benchbear!!
Well, I can offer my opinion and take it with a grain of salt :p
Depending on my budget and what is available, such as the S3 and now the S4?
That would be my first consideration.
The S3 is a fantastic device and I would surmise more updates would be coming to it as time goes on.
I personally am rooted and with the great dev's that develop roms for the phone, I can flash a rom that has some of the S4 goodies baked into them.:)

If you want to be on the latest and greatest phone and your pocketbook can handle it, then go for the S4.

Just remember that within a year, the S4 will be outdated. :)

Edit: wow, I got ninj'd X 3....hot topic, I guess:D

Upvote 0
I always tell people your upgrade is your one chance to get a deeply discounted phone. Get the best available at the time, because youre going to have it for 2 years.

Take the ip4 for example, its ffree with a contact, but its already 2 generations (about to be 3) old. By the time your next upgrade is ready you'll be 5 phones behind and could be frustrated by the limitations at that point.

With that being said, the s3 and s4 are similar, and i was overall unimpressed with the s4. Wouldnt sell the s3 for it, but if i had an upgrade it and the htc one would be considered

Upvote 0
Thanks for the great and fast feedback. You're saying what I had expected and, quite frankly, wanted to hear. I HAVE been an early adopter in the past, but as some point out: Even though I got the iPhone 4 the day it came out, it was quickly outdated by the iPhone 4s and now the 5. And I wasn't tempted to upgrade to the 5, to be honest. I just pinged my son and he echoed your thoughts - he loves his s4's HD screen but suspects I'll be happy with the "old" s3.

Upvote 0
Only one person has mentioned it, so I thought it's worth mentioning again - the S3 is awesome!

I just bought one about 8 weeks ago just before the S4 was about to come out, so the DNA and RAZR HD were the competition. And the iPhone 5, and I felt the S3 blew them away! I paid $100. It's cheaper now.

And, it was my first Smartphone, so my expectations may be different than yours. But, I'm crazy about this phone! I have a hard time believing you would find limitations with this phone in the next 2 years, considering the specs, 2 GB of RAM, the great camera and upgradable memory, the open door to endless customization ....

I don't feel like I missed out even though if I had waited 5 or 6 weeks I could've got the S4. 2 years from now, I'll upgrade again.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Get the phone that meets your needs and don't worry about having the latest and greatest. Of course the S3 isn't the best phone anymore but a phone isn't gonna be the best for more than a few months anyway with how quickly phone tech is advancing.

You should always decide what phone to get based on what you want to do with your phone and not on what is cutting edge.

Reactions: jackroo
Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with getting an older phone as long as it suits your needs. My friend got an S2 after I got my S3 and he is happy with his phone. The S3 is last year's device, but it is a flagship device. It will probably have decent support by Samsung over the next little while.

Totally mate. id much rather have a low priced year old flagship than a brand new low-mid range phone (if anything, because the dev' support will already be thriving. And accessories) :)
Ive said it before but when my wife surprised me by ordering me an s3 at UK launch, it was an s2 or Gnex i really wanted but she just remembered the word "galaxy" lol.
of course im glad now. Those are still great phones but the s3 was a major step up and its pretty future proof for probably another couple of years. The s4, although its a step up from the s3, doesnt seem like so much of a step :thumbup:

Id recomment that people thinking about buying the s3 or s4 just buy an s3 handset outright instead of getting tied into a contract on the s4 with the evil carriers/operators :) (although i realise that doesnt give as much freedom as it should in north america yet)

Upvote 0
Esoterica aside, my opinion is that the SGS4 has a better screen but you can get the SGS3 with 32 GB of storage, the latter being important if you're a gamer.

Fwiw, I'm perfectly happy with my 2012 phone. More than perfectly happy if that's possible.

This year's phones are mind-blowing in performance, but I think that 2012 is going to be noted as an all-around great year for the top Android models and the SGS3 led the pack in sales. As others have said, it's been getting consistently great updates, so the support is there.

My number one advice at all times - it's a handset. Hold each one in your hands, goof around with them, and just trust your gut instincts.

That's always worked for me. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones