• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a better way to manage contacts?

HJSewell

Lurker
Jul 19, 2010
First of all, I'm pretty darn happy with the Captivate but maybe my threshold for satisfaction is lower than most. Plus my GPS has been working great since the update. But there's one thing that frustrates me about the phone:

Contacts.

I have dozens of duplicate contacts. Dozens of linked contacts. Some contacts are stored on the phone, some on the SD card. Some are Google contacts, some Facebook contacts, some I'm not even sure. Some I can edit and add new information to (the ones stored on the phone), some I can't (the ones on the SD card.) It's a nightmare.

This is the ONE part of this new phone that makes me miss my old Treo 750.

Is there a simple way to manage/dedupe/unlink/edit/update contacts that I'm just not seeing? Is there another, better contact management app besides the stock app? Any tips, suggestions from the Android experts out there?

Advice appreciated. Thank you.

if i had my phone i might be of more help but unfortunately i dont. but i do know on mine i would have duplicate contacts and all i would do is link them to each other and the duplicate would go away. and if i needed to edit someones information i would make a new contact and put the persons name in and link it to the other ones i already had, then it would give me the option to edit. it may not be the best way but thats what i did

Upvote 0
When I exported my contacts off my old phone onto my SIM then imported them into the Captivate, I ended up with lots of linked contacts as now each phone # for a contact was a separate contact entry without detailing what phone # was what (home/mobile/work). I never did find a app to make life easier so I just sat down one day and manually cleaned them up.

You might want to just cut your losses, clean it up by hand, and move on with your life to better things. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones