• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a hack to increase ring and in call volume/any new feedback on the phone?

you2

Android Expert
Jun 29, 2010
Still debating on which phone to buy. With the droid x the major concern is soft volume (some phones seem softer than others); rumors of over heating and wifi issues.

Is there a known hack to fix the volume issue; or has Motorola ack the issue and have publically indicated a fix is in the works? Next weekend is no-tax weekend (in Ma) so I might try to pick a phone up then...

I'm pretty sure the wifi issue is a firmware problem (shame on moto for using an encrypted boot loader and having bugs like this one); not sure if overheating is limited to a few phones or is a design issue.

Anyways please add comments (negative and positive) relative to alternatives (samsung s and evo are major contenders). With the samsung the major negative is it pauses now and then and also have soft volume (there is a fix for the gps issue); for evo the major negative is +$10 and poor battery life (this phone is nice and loud) also the display is a bit dimmer than the droid x (an issue for outdoor usage).

Thanks!

Also it appears the phone has gone up in price; guess demand is high :)

Any complaints with the phone (at the shop the only thing I really dislike other than weak sound is yucky moto interface (compared to htc sense or even samsung galaxy wiz touch). Yea I know it can be replaced with launch pro and that would be the route I would take if purchased.

I spoke to vzw yesterday and it is a known issue she told me Motorola was aware and a patch is in the works to fix the issue.

Upvote 0
There's a whole big discussion going on over at the motorola forums regarding some of the "major" issues with the X. One of them being ringtone volume. The others are the "smart profile" bug, the X rebooting on its own, the GPS stuck on" and of course the big one, "issues with corp exchange".

Regarding the volume fix for notifications, ringtones, etc. Motorola has been quiet on that one. It seems as though (and this has been the general consensus) it is a hardware issue and no software will fix the problem. Apparently the little opening for the back speaker isn't quite right. Some users have reported that modifying the opening will fix the issue.

The main issue is that at max volume the sound is too low. Boosting the gain on the speaker may result in distortion and a blown speaker. What's gonna happen is anyone's guess. It's a major deal breaker for many users.

The question remains, if you're within your 30 day window and you're waiting for a fix and this is a major concern for you, you might want to return your device.

Upvote 0
Well this is very bad news (for me). I suppose (from your description) a minor hardware revision would fix the issue but it will probably be a bit before (if) it is done. I have a 20% hearing birth defect; so for me it is definitely a deal breaker. Oh well guess I'll look more at the Galaxy S and Evo. Maybe I should just wait a couple of months and see if a nice android 'pad' hits the market.

Btw which motorola forum? Do you have a link ?

There's a whole big discussion going on over at the motorola forums regarding some of the "major" issues with the X. One of them being ringtone volume. The others are the "smart profile" bug, the X rebooting on its own, the GPS stuck on" and of course the big one, "issues with corp exchange".

Regarding the volume fix for notifications, ringtones, etc. Motorola has been quiet on that one. It seems as though (and this has been the general consensus) it is a hardware issue and no software will fix the problem. Apparently the little opening for the back speaker isn't quite right. Some users have reported that modifying the opening will fix the issue.

The main issue is that at max volume the sound is too low. Boosting the gain on the speaker may result in distortion and a blown speaker. What's gonna happen is anyone's guess. It's a major deal breaker for many users.

The question remains, if you're within your 30 day window and you're waiting for a fix and this is a major concern for you, you might want to return your device.

Upvote 0
Well this is very bad news (for me). I suppose (from your description) a minor hardware revision would fix the issue but it will probably be a bit before (if) it is done. I have a 20% hearing birth defect; so for me it is definitely a deal breaker. Oh well guess I'll look more at the Galaxy S and Evo. Maybe I should just wait a couple of months and see if a nice android 'pad' hits the market.

Btw which motorola forum? Do you have a link ?
Yes, link:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/google-android/droidx

Upvote 0
From the two phones I tried in stores it seems a bit random. One was not super loud but was acceptable. The second was very soft. I'm not that concern about 'speaker' phone or media aspect but ring and in-call volume.

you guys really think the volume is that low for the X? I must have had a really quiet phone before than. My old ENv Touch was dogs*** for speaker quality vs my Droid X. The X isnt the loudest phone, but I seem to think its pretty decent on sound quality. =/

Upvote 0
I just noticed a weird thing with my DX. My speaker is decent, no real complaints. But the stock alarm sounds so muted (even on the loudest setting) compared to if I played a YouTube clip or an MP3 which are both good enough. I just happened to wake up before my alarm set off and noticed this. I just downloaded a new alarm app, so hopefully that does the trick.

Upvote 0
You know, I will say that I had one instance when my DX was extremely quiet (even with my ringer/media volume at MAX). It sounded like the sound was at the lowest setting when it was at MAX. I knew it wasnt normal because I have heard it play sounds much louder prior to me noticing it get softer. I simply turned the phone back on/off again, and then the "default" sound was restored again. It was very weird. It hasnt happened to me again since. Ever since I downloaded that .604 update that was released, my phone sometimes acts up (rarely vs never on the old firmware). My camera ond camcorder apps also display 2 blue pixels when taking pics. These pixels however don not show up on my Home screens or any other screens for that matter. :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones