• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone rings once from internal speaker with unknown ringtone

umopapisdn

Lurker
Apr 16, 2014
My wife's Moto X (non-rooted) is having an insanely annoying problem that I can't replicate on my own Moto X (also non-rooted) and can't seem to fix on hers. She had this problem originally and I couldn't get Motorola support to fix it, so they replaced the phone (assuming it was a hardware issue). This seemed to fix the problem until recently, where her replacement phone is now doing the same thing, so I'm no longer convinced it's a hardware issue (just seems really unlikely that she'd have two phone suffer the same fate that nobody else seems to be reporting).

Here is what her phone does. She can set her media volume all the way off, her ringer volume all the way off, and even the alarm volume all the way off. When an incoming call happens, it will still ring (quietly) one time, then remains silent for the remainder of the incoming call.

The ringing itself doesn't appear to be coming from the same location of the phone as the normal ringer would (when the ringer volume is on), and doesn't use the ringtone that is selected (when a ringtone is selected). In fact, the volume that seems to control this mystery ringer is the internal speaker volume. (The one that controls how loud the other person is while in a call.) Unfortunately, that volume control can't go all the way down.

If I set the phone to some random ringtone and turn the ringer volume on, an incoming call will still make this other ringer happen once with its own ringtone (it's a very generic ring) at the internal speaker volume, then the chosen ringtone will kick in for the remainder of the ringing at the ringer volume. If it's on vibrate, it will ring once, then vibrate for the remaining time.

I have disabled and uninstalled every app imaginable to no avail. I have done factory resets a number of times. (I did this on her previous Moto X as well, before Motorola sent a replacement.)

My phone is also a Moto X and is through Verizon (as is hers) and mine has never had this problem. The only thing she does more often than I do is she uses her headphone jack. I thought maybe hers was getting stuck in headphone mode, so I tried some toggling apps, but this didn't help. In fact, plugging in headphones WILL silence this extra ringer, but it's not ideal for her to keep headphones plugged into her phone constantly just to prevent her phone from ringing.

I figured if I could find the ringtone for this particular ring, I could replace the file with an empty ringtone, so I searched her entire system for audio files and played every single audio file and none of them match this special ring that is happening on her phone.

Again, this special ring only happens one time for each call... is controlled only by the internal speaker volume (which can't go all the way down), not the ringer volume or media volume or alarm volume... it will happen no matter what mode the phone is configured for (ringer on, vibrate only, or silent).

I'm hoping someone who knows more about the inner workings of Android can help me. Is there some sort of generic system ringer whose "ringtone" would not be found by searching the system for audio files? Is there a reason why this ringing would be coming out of the internal speaker and not the normal ringer speaker? Is there a reason it will only ring once, even though it's clear the phone is still technically ringing?

I've found people (online) with SIMILAR problems, but not exactly, so I keep being led down dead ends. I don't need to get the ringing to happen more than once. (It's actually good that it only rings once, though I'd prefer it not ring at all.) It's not some sort of selected ringtone. Changing the system's ringtone doesn't change how this ringer sounds at all. It also does not appear to be an app, as I have systematically disabled and uninstalled everything imaginable in an attempt to narrow this down, to no avail.

Help. Please. Anyone. Thanks in advance!

:thinking:

Welcome to Android Forums.

I moved this thread from the Droid X forum to the Moto X forum since that is the device that you described with the problem. If the device is indeed the Droid X I will move it back.

As a first step I suggest that you try running her phone in Safe Mode (disabling all apps that were added without uninstalling them) and if the problem stops it is caused by an app that was added. Then determine which app.

... Thom

Reactions: umopapisdn and DonB
Upvote 0
Open the phone app. Hit the menu bottom right, settings. Is "Caller ID Readout" set to anything except for "ring only"?

That's probably not it.

If she long-presses the power button and silences the phone that way - does this still happen? (The left icon on the bottom of the dialog that pops up.)

Otherwise, I'm sure it's an app that she has on the phone. Check the apps that she has versus yours, and see if you can determine from the settings of any of those apps if they do something when a phone call arrives.

Reactions: umopapisdn
Upvote 0
@Thom - Thanks for moving the thread. That's embarrassing. This does indeed belong in the Moto X forum. My computer blue screened the first time I was typing my wall of text, so in my frustration, I too quickly picked the forum again without looking closely enough.

I will try running her phone in safe mode tonight, but when this same problem happened with her previous Moto X, I specifically recall putting it into safe mode and the mysterious ringing would still happen. In fact, I believe I did a factory reset and immediately followed it with booting in safe mode and, in tests, it would still do the mysterious quiet ring-once maneuver with all volumes and ringers set to off/none/etc... So, I'm convinced it's not an installed app but something basic to the phone/OS.

@DirtyDee - Based on this also happening after a factory reset and in safe mode (when her prior Moto X suffered from this issue), I don't believe it's an app. Nonetheless, since she doesn't have nearly as many apps as I do, tonight I will go through each app one at a time and scan the permissions to see which ones might toy with the dialer or incoming calls or ringtones or volumes.

@doogald - When I run the phone app and hit the bottom right menu and settings, these are what I'm faced with:

Phone ringtone (set to "None")
Vibrate when ringing (I've tried this checked or unchecked)
Voicemail (a submenu where I've tried a number of combination of settings here)
Dial pad touch tones (I've dismissed this as irrelevant)
Quick responses (I haven't touched these)
Assisted dialing (I haven't touched this)
Auto-retry (I've left unchecked)
TTY mode (set to "TTY off")
Hearing aids (left unchecked)
DTMF tones (set to "Normal")
Voice privacy (I've tried this on and off)

I'm not seeing a "Caller ID Readout" option in this menu.

Also, long-pressing the power button and silencing it that way (either silence or vibrate) still lets the ring happen.

As for the volumes (in settings -> sound -> volumes) it shows these three sliders:

"Music, video, games, & other media"
"Ringtone & notifications"
"Alarms"

These are the three that can be set all the way down that still won't silence the ring.

The volume slider which DOES seem to control this ring's volume is the one that the volume rocker controls while inside of a call. That volume slider will not go all the way to the bottom. It stops one notch short. So, I'm at least able to make the ring as quiet as possible, but she needs it to be absolutely silent at work (but still needs it with her).

In the meantime, I told her to try keeping headphones plugged in it all day in the short term.

Another small piece of information which may be relevant is that after she got her replacement Moto X, and I was setting it up for her, in a test to be sure her problem was resolved I managed to make her replacement phone do this same quiet one-time ring. My heart dropped in that moment. I felt like I was right back at square one. However, being that the replacement phone (at the time) had so few apps on it, I was determined to go back to solving the problem again myself. I toyed with a few things and before I knew it, the ring was gone. I had no idea what I did, but wasn't willing to experiment further to figure out what fixed it. At the time, my gut feeling was that it either had something to do with the Caller Name ID app that both of our phones get pre-installed with and that, for some reason, hers is in a weirder state. However, I disabled that app in her settings last night and it still didn't solve it. My phone also has the app pre-installed and doesn't suffer from the issue. The only options in that app are to pay Verizon extra money for that service, so I don't want to go there. There's also a Verizon Tones app pre-installed on both of our systems. Neither of us have ever used that app to buy or download ringtones, but I toyed with settings and disabled that one too, to no avail. I also have this nagging feeling that I had found some sort of deeper settings screen somewhere at some point and had an aha moment that may have fixed it last time. Perhaps there are two dialers and I keep going into the settings of the wrong one, or there's a way to get into a settings page only through the manage apps screen that I'm not seeing again. Of course, this might be my mind messing with me with a false deja vu moment that never really happened.

This is one of those issues that is going to drive me batty, if I'm not there already. I feel like I'm in The Fruit At The Bottom Of The Bowl and I'm toying with settings that I know couldn't possibly be a part of the problem, but I'm trying it anyway hoping to put this issue to bed once and for all. I'm hoping it's some sort of obscure settings area I haven't yet unearthed. If I discover it, I will post it for the world to see and will take copious notes for my future self. I will also customize a DeLorean so that I can inform my past self.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I'm certain the solution to this problem can be unearthed.

Is it safe to say that if the ringing still happens with the three volume sliders all the way down, is clearly controlled by the in-call internal speaker volume slider (that won't go all the way down), still happens after a factory reset and while in safe mode, that this probably isn't an app that was installed after-the-fact, or can that assumption not really be made? I just want to be able to maintain some sort of solid footing on this problem.

Upvote 0
I was out on a run after my last post and I thought about the Caller ID Name app (such an annoying app) and disabling that, but you already did that, so it wasn't that. Rats.

The caller ID thing in settings I mentioned reads out the name of the caller before ringing a phone on a Droid Maxx. My guess is that this is a Droid brand phone thing and not a Motorola generic thing on the X. I guess the separate notification and ringtone volume controls are Droid brand only, too.

One other place to look for a setting like that is in settings / accessibility - maybe there is an accessibility that affects call reception on the X?

Some of the other sound settings on the Droid Maxx are in settings / sound - touch sounds (which I think use the speaker), screen lock sound (ditto), call connect (which says "Play tone when call is connected", but I thought that was only for placed calls), Network lost tone, Roaming tone, and Software update alert (surely it's not that...). I don't know if the Verizon X also has these settings.

The other thing I thought about is whether she has vibration turned on with ringing - that maybe the vibration motor is bad and it just sounds like a tone from the earpiece when the vibration motor is spinning. But, I see that you've ruled that out.

Another idea is that some people report that (I think) the lens focus assembly in the camera is loose on some phones and that is rattling when you shake the phone. Maybe that is rattling when the phone rings, and you are mishearing it as a tone from the earpiece (since it is right behind the earpiece)? If you shake the phone, do you hear a rattle in that area? (But, that's probably not it if there is no tone when earphones are plugged in.)

Another (unlikely) thing I can think of is a Verizon Network Extender. I have one and it plays a double-tone through the earpiece when you place a call that goes through it to tell you that the call is using an extender. However, as far as I know, that's only for placed calls, not received calls, and you'd surely have the same issue on your phone that she does. So, probably not that...

Last thing I can think of - does this happen with all calls, or only from specific contacts? Does she have any contacts in the People app set up with custom ringtones? I can't believe that's it - silent should be silent - but just trying to go through everything.

The very last idea I had was for the two of you to switch phones. Factory reset them both, swap the SIMs (I think that works with Verizon phones now, though maybe check with VZW to see if that's actually true), and set them up again. If you hear that tone and she doesn't - it's the phone. If she hears it and you don't - it's something about her apps, software, setup, or something.

Good luck, I hope that you figure it out.

Upvote 0
As for the various other sound options, I'll scan through those tonight.

Regarding whether it's a real ring or a sound that is mistaken for a ring... it is most certainly an intentional ringing sound. (It sounds like an old school digital phone ringer when phones first went from using bells to ring to a speaker to ring.) It is also very clearly controlled by the volume control for the in-call (non speakerphone) volume. In fact, if I hit the volume rocker at the precise moment this ring happens (which is at the very very beginning of an incoming call), I can see the volume slider appear that is set at the same level as the in-call volume setting. I've played with this extensively to feel 99.9% confident that this is the volume control that's controlling this ring and, therefore, the speaker that the ring is coming from is not the normal loud speaker that is normally used for the regular ringer (and notifications and speakerphone), but is the lesser speaker that's used to hear what the caller is saying (when not in speakerphone mode).

If I move this slider all the way to max, this ringing is louder, but not nearly as loud as the normal ringer should sound (when at max volume). In fact, if I choose a ringtone and turn the regular ringer volume to max... when an incoming call happens, I first hear this "other ringtone" at a weak volume once in the beginning, then it's followed by the much louder ringing (at the selected ringtone) for all subsequent rings during that incoming call.

Due to this, I'm convinced that it probably is somehow associated with Caller ID functionality. I might try looking for and installing a free caller ID app, then disabling it and uninstalling it again, to see if this somehow clears out some sort of caller id setting that this other pre-installed one triggered but won't let me undo without paying $2.99 per month.

I also plan on recording this behavior in a video, both to show what's happening and so that the sound of this ring can be heard in case someone can recognize what this ringtone is and can say, "Oh, yeah. That's the ogg file found at this path."

If I have to root her phone just so that I can get at whatever file contains that ringing sound, I'll happily replace it with an inaudible file just to restore my sanity (and her patience). Ideally, it doesn't have to come to that.

I've even suspected that it might be a Verizon thing. I'm pretty sure calls to her phone never show who is calling. I believe mine does. It's possible that Verizon has a caller ID block happening on her number and not mine and maybe this is a part of the overall puzzle.

Thanks for taking time out of your day to assist me in this quest. I'm hoping I'm allowed to post a YouTube link here to provide more of a visual/audible clue to the madness I'm experiencing.

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Due to this, I'm convinced that it probably is somehow associated with Caller ID functionality. I might try looking for and installing a free caller ID app, then disabling it and uninstalling it again, to see if this somehow clears out some sort of caller id setting that this other pre-installed one triggered but won't let me undo without paying $2.99 per month.

You know, you can log in to My Verizon on verizonwireless.com and choose the link on the left that says "Change features." They do have one for "Caller Name ID for Mobile Devices" that you can turn off, if it is on. There is also something called "Ringback tone" but I don't think that's for you when you receive a call - that's for others when they get your call. Anyway, if those features are turned on for the account, you can turn them off online.

Upvote 0
SUCCESS!

{crossing fingers} I hope this stays put. ;)

So, here's what I did as a test tonight. I called my wife's Moto X from our home phone. It did the mystery ring thing and said "Unknown" for the caller. I did the same test to my Moto X, and it showed our home number was calling (with, of course, no mystery ring.)

Then, I went to verizonwireless.com and looked at the features of her line. It said she had Caller ID activated (for $0.00, apparently). I looked at the features of my line. It said I had Caller ID activated (also for $0.00). Something didn't add up. Why do both of our phones supposedly have Caller ID, and Caller ID isn't blocked on our home phone, yet my Moto X shows when the home phone is calling and her Moto X says "Unknown"?

I was going to hand it off to Verizon at this point, and not claim a ringing issue... but simply a Caller ID issue and see if fixing THAT also fixes the ring issue. Instead, from the advice of doogald, I decided to play with these settings myself on verizonwireless.com. I went into her settings and turned OFF Caller ID for her line. Then, I ran a test. Her phone still showed "Unknown" and did the mystery ring. Then, I returned to verizonwireless.com and turned Caller ID back ON for her line.

Suddenly, her phone was no longer showing "Unknown" and was now showing that our home phone was calling, and lo and behold, the mystery ring also isn't happening anymore!

I'm only confident that doing this clearly resolved the issue, but I'm not 100% confident why this fixed it or even why it was a problem to begin with, but here's my theory:

She has had her line through Verizon longer than I have. For several phones, her incoming calls always showed "Unknown" and she never pushed the issue. I'm thinking that Verizon had her account configured with some sort of "older Caller ID" system (if such a thing even exists), where the signal it passes with the ring signal was meant for older devices. I suspect that when this old-style signal was being sent to her newer phones, the phones didn't know how to parse the data, so it always resulted in "Unknown". And, for some reason, the Moto X interpreted this weird Caller ID data as "make this super-secret ringtone play just once at the volume of the in-call internal speaker volume, just to mess with people."

On a whim, I used *67 from our home phone to see if it would cause it to do the mystery ring, and it didn't. It said something like "Restricted number" on the display. I suspect the "Unknown" wording was really a bit of a soft error, where it had no idea how to interpret the Caller ID data it was getting.

In any case, I'm extremely happy this has finally been solved. If there is any other person in the universe that has an old Verizon account whose Caller ID setting is screwed up and they own a Moto X and are suffering from this nightmare, I hope they find this thread and rejoice.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

(Now I need to get started customizing that DeLorean to save my past self.)

:D

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones