• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this Nokia ad accurate?

thermal

Feb 11, 2011
Nokia is touting that their maps are better than Google's or Apple's.

Nokia stacks up its maps next to Apple's and Google's, politely suggests it comes out on top -- Engadget

Is this advertisement accurate?

20120920nokiainfographic_ts.jpg

Possibly. I believe Nokia is using one of the GPS vendors maps and stores them all on the device whereas Google Maps allows for only a certain amount of caching of offline apps.

Unless you add one of many offline map apps for Android.

People use Android for waypoint/maritime navigation, no data connection required.

Upvote 0
Nokia spent something like $8B (billion!) on Navteq a couple of years ago, and I think that supplies their map data, but maybe it's based on Bing now. I precache maps also, but offline use is really a backup; I think accurate up-to-date data is more important. Also street view (invaluable), live traffic, detailed POI info, and restaurant ratings are important to me, and these will never work without a data connection. I don't think it's fair to say that either of the three map solutions truly work offline.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones