• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue with Predictive Text & Samsung Keyboard

I wanted to erase some words from dictionary when they were nt gtn erased by tapping on them for long..searched online saw somewhere abt clearing keyboard data.. so I followed da instructions and went to setting -> application manager->and found keyboard. Clicked on clear data.. i wanted to erase somewords rather it erased all my dictionary.
Now the problem i faced was that when i tried typing words on the new keypad .. it didnt display any words . The suggested words that it used to display. Whatever i typed it didnt save that too n the words suggestion field appeared black n empty ..no matter whatever i typed. It stopped displaying words in the suggestion field and stopped adding words.. i did everyrhing i cud by searching online. Turned on off predictive text bt no use. Rebooted. Cleared system cache. Everything but no use.. thn accidently i went to something.. within the samsung keyboard setting.. where there it says select input languages.. i selected that and scrolled down to find out that english language was not installed.. :O i tapped on it and it installed english language UK and US.. since then my words r back and dictionary saving words..
Try this if u have the same problem.

Upvote 0
I lost predictive text altogether & eventually tried 2 other keyboards, which were ok but not the same. The switch was on by the way. While trying the reset suggested above, I decided to download the uk English dictionary too. Now everything is back to normal. Not sure which solved it, but I think somehow the dictionary was removed, which caused the problem, and now it's fixed. Yaaayyyy!

Upvote 0
A Solution really worked for me...
Go to settings - language and input - click on settings icon near to Samsung keyboard - click on input languages( you should have an active Internet connection) - then lot of languages will be listed Click on English(UK) - wait to finish download (around 3 MB only).- then go back...you can see English (UK) under input languages. Tick on the box near to English (UK). Then you are done.
Make sure you have turned on predictive text.

Upvote 0
My problem with this started after I installed the latest update. Please fix this. It's a real 9ain...pain!!!!!
A Solution really worked for me...
Go to settings - language and input - click on settings icon near to Samsung keyboard - then click on input languages from new window (just above predictive text on option) ( you should have an active Internet connection, if download doesn't work, try via wifi) - then lot of languages will be listed Click on English(UK) - wait to finish download (around 3 MB only).- then press back Button once...you can see English (UK) just below input languages. Tick on the box near to English (UK). Then you are done.
Make sure you have turned on predictive text

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had the same issue but I went through the steps and it still didn't work. To Fix my phone I first went to Applications-> Application Manager, scrolled over to All, then looked for the Samsung Keyboard and went in and cleared the data. Then I went back to Language & Input-> Samsung Keyboard-> Predictive Text and clicked on the Learn from Messages. Now I'm back in business

Upvote 0
H
I had that same problem, finally figured it out last night! Go to Settings> my device> language and input. Click the settings symbol to the left of Samsung Keyboard. Click on the words Predictive Text. This will bring up a new menu. Clear remote data and personal data, then hit the buttons to learn from contacts, messages, etc. This worked perfectly for me, I hope it helps you too!!
Heylo brother... this worked for me thanks a tone

Upvote 0
Hello people I have Note 2 and I had the same issue. I had installed an app called wring n I even u installed it but still had the same issue. Finally I got these steps from the same site and it worked. I m typing after fixing my issue. Go to Settings> my device> language and input. Click the settings symbol to the left of Samsung Keyboard. Click on the words Predictive Text. This will bring up a new menu. Clear remote data and personal data, then hit the buttons to learn from contacts, messages, etc. This worked perfectly for me, I hope ithelps you too!! All the best

Upvote 0
I'm having this issue: when typing emails, if I put a bracket, and try to insert a letter immediately after, it adds another bracket. I have to press the desired letter about 2-3 times to get it, and meanwhile, I still have two brackets. Same thing happens if I try to type a word with an apostrophe - the apostrophe doubles up even when pressing the letter. I'd say that the first bracket or apostrophe is being entered by the predictive text automatically, but I know that isn't true - I do it myself, and it still automatically replaces the letter I try to insert afterwards with one of those two types of punctuation (to the point where I don't even see the replacement occurring - it just inserts a bracket or apostrophe with no sign of the letter I tried to type). It's annoying. I turned off predictive text, tried restarting my phone, AND cleared the personal data related to predictive text. Nothing. I had to turn off predictive text entirely. Anyone else have this problem, and if so, did you solve it? How?

Upvote 0
I'm having this issue: when typing emails, if I put a bracket, and try to insert a letter immediately after, it adds another bracket. I have to press the desired letter about 2-3 times to get it, and meanwhile, I still have two brackets. Same thing happens if I try to type a word with an apostrophe - the apostrophe doubles up even when pressing the letter. I'd say that the first bracket or apostrophe is being entered by the predictive text automatically, but I know that isn't true - I do it myself, and it still automatically replaces the letter I try to insert afterwards with one of those two types of punctuation (to the point where I don't even see the replacement occurring - it just inserts a bracket or apostrophe with no sign of the letter I tried to type). It's annoying. I turned off predictive text, tried restarting my phone, AND cleared the personal data related to predictive text. Nothing. I had to turn off predictive text entirely. Anyone else have this problem, and if so, did you solve it? How?
Same here. Samsung Note 5. So, if I type quote n I get "". Only in stock email app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had the same issue in the stock email app just recently. Additionally, I could not type words with an apostrophe S. a double apostrophe would appear instead. I couldn't type a version number like 10.0.2 as the 0 would dissappear and be replaced with two periods. My issue was resolved by uninstalling the "Android System Webview" update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones