• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issues Copying SD Card

msmaby

Lurker
Mar 19, 2011
I have an A500 that I added a 16gb SD card at date of purchase. I am trying to replace it with a 32gb card. My plan was to copy the contents of the 16gb microSD card to a folder on my pc and then copy them back onto the new 32gb microSD.

I cannot seem to successfuly copy the SD card contents to my computer. I can see the files from my PC (brand new HP) via the USB connection to the A500 and I can also put the SD card in micro SD to SD adaptor (came with card) card and see the files in the SD media reader on the computer (I see more files this way). Either way, when I attempt to copy the files from the SD card to an empty folder the copy process either freezes or stops with no msg after a really long 'Computing time ...' pre-copy message. Only some files and folders are copied and it always seems to stop at the same point.

Do I have a currupt mSD card. If so how can I repair its file system (chdsk or fsck[Linux]). Or is this a known issue. Do I need to do this from Linux (an option).

What is the best process for upgrading the micro SD card?

I do have the ADB USB driver installed.

... sitting and staring at a new 32gb sd card...

Marcus
Acer A500 (Honeycomb 3.2)
Samsung Epic 4g (Gingerbread 2.3.4)
Pandigital WNB (rooted) 3 of them

I ran into this same problem on a SD card the other day. I tried to transfer about 20 Cd's worth of music and it would always hang on the same song so I just transferred everything but that CD. Then I had to transfer all the songs out of its folder but the 1 song would not transfer.It would even hang my computer. So I formatted the SD card losing two songs and it ended up the the SD card was bad. It is an older card but you can try smaller bits of data at a time and see if it works any better for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones