• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I've finally smashed my phone out of frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to some rooting guide being ambiguous, I have to agree with you there, which is why I write my own FAQ's. They often assume a certain level of knowledge that will not always be present.

The memory issue is a big problem too so rooting is the only way to go to fully resolve that issue. I think some of your issues can also be chalked down to bad luck.

I couldnt recommend buying a new screen though, because at the end of the day, the unit could still be faulty. All you could do is send it to HTC who may charge you a pretty penny, but then they may put it back to stock too and its a clean slate.

But its a gamble and Im not sure if its worth you taking it.

Upvote 0
Should have taken out phone insurance against accidental damage before smashing it, I mean accidently dropping it :)

Sorry for your frustration though even if it was your own fault. Misleading info though is not helpful as it could lead to others not purchasing believing htc desires to be faulty and rubbish. This is not the case.

Well hope you have better luck with whatever phone you end up with. Hope you learn the lesson of research first before airing your frustrations in such a negative way.

Upvote 0
*facepalms*

This is the exact customer behaviour that made me never ever EVER want to work on help desks. Too many people complain about stuff not properly working after THEY screwed with it. I got offered several IT help desk support jobs when I was unemployed and would rather starve than go through the confidence-shattering experience that is help desk support at the hands of ignorant people who think jamming a fork into their hard drive because it "ticks" entitles them to a free hard drive ... not to mention people who drop their phones into boiling water and claim it should be water-proof. :rolleyes: (both real examples that a friend encountered while working for such a help desk - two of many that are far worse).

Really:

- don't screw with your phone unless you accept the risk
- if you buy on eBay, you accept that the lower price you pay, comes at a risk
- be sure to buy from a source that is reliable and has a proven track record

Upvote 0
It's still not inherently my fault.
The phone always crashed. It only got steadily worse with time. See all the other "millions" of posts about the same issue.
I was forced to root, in order to remove T-Mobile - to enable my Froyo update - so I could install apps. Nowhere did I read that I mustn't allow updates after this. Remember, this was back during Summer last year. Perhaps there is more info in rooting instructions now but I always read everything presented to me - as I am paranoid about breaking things I can ill afford to. It took a lot of frustration - and not being able to use the phone anyway - for me to lose my rag.

Upvote 0
A multitude of these Desires are broken out of the box. It's still the case - and shouldn't be.
They're tiny computers that are more powerful than my old WinXP PC - what do you expect? My points still stand - buying off ebay is accepting the risks. I bought an eBook reader on eBay because they didn't sell any in Europe yet and I was lucky, but it was a calculated risk. Accept it and move on - don't put the blame where it doesn't belong.

Upvote 0
I got offered several IT help desk support jobs when I was unemployed and would rather starve than go through the confidence-shattering experience that is help desk support at the hands of ignorant people who think jamming a fork into their hard drive because it "ticks" entitles them to a free hard drive ... not to mention people who drop their phones into boiling water and claim it should be water-proof. :rolleyes: (both real examples that a friend encountered while working for such a help desk - two of many that are far worse).
ure to buy from a source that is reliable and has a proven track record

I worked on service desks when I first started in IT and I used to love it. Not service desks that service the piblic mind, but internal ones.

Granted, some people can be hard work but if you remain calm its all good.

The wrost ones are the ones who ring up and already "know" the solution, or demand to be put through to 2nd line because they dont believe you have the skill to solve it yourself.

Unfortunately Ive ended up on 1 again, due to the recession and feel its beneath me now. I'm supposed to be training the other guys to my level but they're so under resourced, i'm spending most of the time on the phone to muppets, missing important calls about jobs Ive applied for.

Upvote 0
The phone always crashed. It only got steadily worse with time. See all the other "millions" of posts about the same issue.
I was forced to root, in order to remove T-Mobile - to enable my Froyo update - so I could install apps. Nowhere did I read that I mustn't allow updates after this. Remember, this was back during Summer last year. Perhaps there is more info in rooting instructions now but I always read everything presented to me - as I am paranoid about breaking things I can ill afford to. It took a lot of frustration - and not being able to use the phone anyway - for me to lose my rag.

http://androidforums.com/desire-all...guide-updated-7-39am-pdt-19-march-2011-a.html

I rooted and flashed Gigervillain, apps2sd, and all the trimmings after reading the above and asking folks in here.... Im pretty sure there are multiple warnings not to update OTA... I was sure to switch it off before rooting anyway.

Hope it doesnt put you off, buy a cheap phone for just now (its only a phone after all) and buy another all singing all dancing when you can afford it.

Chill out

Enjoy life.

Scooby. ;)

Upvote 0

You don't have to root to debrand a phone. My Desire came from Orange and I debranded mine to install Froyo before they released it but I've not rooted it - simple reason is I've no need to root it.

Ultimately if you buy anything from Ebay you don't really get any insurance on the item. Sorry you can't afford the item otherwise, but unfortunately if you buy from Ebay there's no insurance, no returns policy to the manufacturer, and so on.

There was also absolutely no reason to smash the phone. Petulance gets you nowhere I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
wait
so your phone is broken now?
If the phone is still fine you should be able to fix it by wiping data in recovery and then flashing a custom rom.
I'm not sure it'll work, but these types of things happened to me why i just rooted, and the method worked for me.
Read the thread; it isn't really that long! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
It seems to me that the OP wants to blame everyone but himself.

What seems odd is that he seems perfectly happy to forgive an eBay seller who contacted him to say the phone was damaged, then when he sourced another one he took "several weeks" just to post it out - I'd have been already got my money back well before waiting "several weeks" - and then when it arrived it was T-Mobile branded. If I'd have got this far, I'd definitely have got a refund at this point.

d3v14n7 said:
OTA means "Over The Air"?! Why have I never found this definition by searching.
I typed "OTA definition" into Google and the 5th result down is an exact definition from a site called Phone Scoop, while the 6th is another exact definition from a site called Phone Arena. You don't seem to put a lot of effort into finding things out before jumping head first and breaking your own phone.

You're like a guy that buys a car when you have no driving license, then when you crash because you can't drive, you say that its the fault of the car manufacturer and how where you supposed to know what "brakes" are cos you couldn't find a definition even though there's one on the first page of Google.

d3v14n7 said:
A multitude of these Desires are broken out of the box. It's still the case - and shouldn't be.
Yours wasn't though. It worked fine until you broke it. Just out of interest, what percentage of Desires are broken out of the box?

Upvote 0
You really need to stop with the "It isn't my fault" line. Please, accept reality. Accept the fact that you made mistakes and (at minimum) contributed to the problem. Going back to your earlier post:

No warranty = ebay
Bought outright, last year.
Scumbag screwed me over anyway. It was sold as unbranded/unlocked. ...
When it finally arrived after several weeks, it was T-Mobile branded!
This is your first mistake. The seller's actions should have cause enormous flashing neon red flags. You could have taken advantage of Ebay's policies that protect the buyer and returned the item immediately. None of the below would have happened if you weren't so anxious to get the phone that you decided to accept an unDESIREable version.
Later became sooner when I found out that T-Mobile (and other brands) screw with Android before passing updates on (much like if you bought a "home user" targetted laptop - loaded with all that ineffective crap and bloat they mess them up with), and I ended up stuck on Eclair with no App2SD and hardly being able to install any apps to what portion of the 512MB storage was left after the OS had grabbed most of it for other things.
I had to wipe and root my phone.
You decided to keep the phone, instead of returning it. You accepted those limitations by keeping the phone. There are many MANY people on this board with the Desire that have the same complaints you raised here.

Your second mistake was thinking that these complaints are something that is a "defect" on the phone. It may not be what you wanted, but it is exactly how T-Mobile/HTC designed the phone to be. You could have continued using the phone, without problem, and just found a way to cope with the limitations. (The limitations you accepted, by the way, by not returning the phone in the first place.)
I was forced to root, in order to remove T-Mobile - to enable my Froyo update - so I could install apps.

You weren't forced. You made a choice.

You decided to permanently modify your phone which did not have a warranty on it. You proceeded at your own risk, without doing the proper research, and then you made a mistake and you did it wrong.

I didn't try to download an update over the air. The system simply offered it. How was I to know that my phone was going to have issue with this?

By doing the research first, before proceeding with a procedure that has risk and is not easily reversible.

Nowhere did I read that I mustn't allow updates after this. Remember, this was back during Summer last year. Perhaps there is more info in rooting instructions now

Here is a thread from June of last year: [TUT]Complete upgrading guide(root, unroot, flashing ROM & updates) - xda-developers

The first post says the following:
Code:
Will my phone get the OTA froyo update from HTC here in the US or do I have to do it manually?

- No OTA updates when rooted, to get them you will have to go back to stock to get the update(yepp unroot, or wait for devs to release rooted stock version)

Another post on another site in June of last year:
Rooting- What about OTA updates? - Android Forums
Code:
Lets say this OTA does Block the Exploit Whats the worse that will happen...

It would depend how far "in depth" the over the air update goes. If it goes into the core files of the Linux base there is a chance it might brick the phone if it is rooted when you update.

That's after just a quick search. It's not that the information wasn't out there, it's just that you didn't check for water before you jumped into the pool.

I always read everything presented to me

You read everything that was "presented" to you? Not everything will be given to you in life, nor should it be.

Your failure to accept some level of personal responsibility, and your expectation that things should be handed to you (all of which is evident by the language you use in your posts) is astounding!

Really? :eek:

If it isn't your fault, please tell me who should be blamed? This forum, because we didn't knock on your door and pull the phone out of your hands before you could do something bad with it? T-Mobile, whose phone you bought on E-bay without any intention of buying it "properly" through an authorized dealer, and whose service you didn't even want to use? HTC, whose phone you decided you could modify yourself to make it better than it was originally designed by following some directions you found on the internet?

Upvote 0
This strikes me very much as being a case where no matter what we or anybody else says, there is no convincing you that this is your fault. You are one of those people who have everything happen to them, but it's always someone else that's to blame.

It's eBay, it's the scumbag who sold it you, it's T-Mobile or stupid HTC. It's the laws of physics, probability and coincidence conspiring against you. It's the people who wrote the rooting guide and the information which you were "presented" with, and of course their fault for not presenting you with more information to read. You also say you scrape by on a minimum wage job. Well, that's probably someone else's fault too, like the UK government for not having enough jobs available to you.

If you've got barely any money and all you can moan about is a smartphone which you bought illegitimately then obviously your priorities aren't quite focused where they should be. Who knows, perhaps if you took more responsibility you might get a better job. Nobody wants to employ someone who's irresponsible and then points the finger at someone else. Maybe someone should have told you that sooner as well?

Perhaps learn from this. Get a new smartphone, buy it properly from an outlet where you can inspect it first. Don't root it, don't mod it, use it stock. Have phone insurance and make sure you understand it's terms including what's covered and what isn't. Then you'll probably be fine.

Upvote 0
I'm sure he gets the point now.

nah...I think we need a few more posts dan...just rehashing what me an you already said lol ;):D

but instead...heres a cat..

lolcat.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones