• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help J1 Luna 4G LTE "roaming" issue, I could use some expert help.

Le_Mad_Fox

Lurker
Jun 8, 2017
Hello,
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy J1 Luna 4g LTE,

I activated my phone per the instructions on the tracfone booklet.. and when i dialed out to test it, it gave me a roaming message.

(I had a family member help me with this as I am new to using smartphones and i get very fustrated when it messes up.)

I called the 800 number to my carrier (tracfone/Net10) and all they did was give me a run around using various excuses ex. "We don't service your area" (which is a big fat lie, as I know a lot of people who use Net10 phones on a daily basis who live around me. My old net10 phone recently died out on me.), "That its working fine to us, you're crazy." etc. When I requested for a manager or someone higher up to help with this issue, the persons on the other end insulted me or hung up. So no help on that end.

What i can do:
Text
surf on the internet
play a few installed games
connect to bluetooth/wifi.
though I can't call or receive calls.

(I had a family member help me with this as I am new to using smartphones and i get very fustrated when it messes up.)

I called the 800 number to my carrier (tracfone/Net10) and all they did was give me a run around using various excuses ex. "We don't service your area" (which is a big fat lie, as I know a lot of people who use Net10 phones on a daily basis who live around me. My old net10 phone recently died out on me.), "That its working fine to us, you're crazy." etc. When I requested for a manager or someone higher up to help with this issue, the persons on the other end insulted me or hung up. So no help on that end.

It might be that it actually is roaming on another network. Sure we've had posts about this before with Tracfone Wireless. Although isn't Tracfone Wireless an MVNO(Mobile Virtual Network Operator), that basically rides on top of the main networks? I take it the J1 you got wasn't supplied by Tracfone, i.e. it's BYOD,

What you can do about it, no ideas. When my phone shows roaming, I really am, like when using a China Unicom SIM in the UK.

I think @kate might be the expert on US network problems like this. :)

Upvote 0
It might be that it actually is roaming on another network. Sure we've had posts about this before with Tracfone Wireless. Although isn't Tracfone Wireless an MVNO(Mobile Virtual Network Operator), that basically rides on top of the main networks? I take it the J1 you got wasn't supplied by Tracfone, i.e. it's BYOD,

What you can do about it, no ideas. When my phone shows roaming, I really am, like when using a China Unicom SIM in the UK.

I think @kate might be the expert on US network problems like this. :)

The new phone came in a Tracfone box, though you might be onto something about the other network, as the towers in my area are Sprint, and I'm not sure if Sprint supports Net10/tracfone's LTE signal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones