• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jailbroken iPhone vs. stock Froyo?

BBOOZE

Sep 23, 2010
Hi. I had an iPhone for just over two years but never went down the jailbreaking road. Felt it was too much effort just to customize my screen and such. However, since I've made the switch over to Android I find I like the customization options a lot. Which had me wondering whether I would have been better off jailbreaking the iphone and spending my time and effort there since the actual device is very nice.

Does anyone that has had a jailbroken iphone and now Android have any thoughts about how the two compare with each other?

Pretty much the same customization wize. I just got an android coming from a jailbroken 3gs. I just hate apple and the fact that you actaully HAVE to jailbreak it just to customize anything. I spent half my time making my iphone look like an android. I hate how apple is so locked down, have to use itunes etc. You can't even delete media right from your iphone. If I find a song I don't like I have to hook up to itunes to delete it. Android, you just delete it right from your phone. And when you do add media it's just drag and drop, and factory customizable right out of the box. No need to rejailbreak and wait for a new jailbreak for updates. But, that's just me. I'm a true apple hater.

Upvote 0
Pretty much the same customization wize. I just got an android coming from a jailbroken 3gs. I just hate apple and the fact that you actaully HAVE to jailbreak it just to customize anything. I spent half my time making my iphone look like an android. I hate how apple is so locked down, have to use itunes etc. You can't even delete media right from your iphone. If I find a song I don't like I have to hook up to itunes to delete it. Android, you just delete it right from your phone. And when you do add media it's just drag and drop, and factory customizable right out of the box. No need to rejailbreak and wait for a new jailbreak for updates. But, that's just me. I'm a true apple hater.

I'm not an apple hater but just got tired of the same old, same old with every phone update. A non-jailbroken phone gets really boring after a while, particularly if you are not a gamer. I never wanted to jailbreak because of what you mentioned...with each OS update you had to wait for the "dev team" to come out with their hack. It's a charade. Out of the box I'm able to get Android exactly the way I want it.

All of the things that pissed me off about my iphone (unable to snooze calendar items) I'm able to solve no problem on Android with a quick app.

Upvote 0
Exactly. With a non jailbroken iphone, EVERYONE'S phone is identical. I call the iphone the communist phone. Who doesn't want to change things to their own liking? I don't get anyone who loves the iphone. Even their settings menu is so dumbed down, you can harly adjust anything.
And what's even more dumb is, apple doesn't listen. They keep fighting against jailbreaking, but what they don't seem to understand is that people jailbreak becasue they want to do what other phones can. Customers obviously aren't happy. So what happens when apple stops the jailbreaking? People move on to phones that can do what they want, with no hassle, no jailbreaking, no voiding warranty and no gol-darn itunes crap etc etc.
But again, I am just eveer so slightly biased. lol

Upvote 0
Can a jailbroken iPhone even be customized to the extent Android can be? I mean, even without so much as getting into the bootloader (let alone rooting or flashing any ROMs), you can do all kinds of crazy things with your homescreens using nothing but LauncherPro and Desktop Visualizer. I imagine a JB iPhone would make you jump through a lot more hoops than "grab two apps from the App Store/Cydia." Native out-of-the-box widget support goes a long, long way. Oh, and of course you can have custom lockscreens with Lockbot Pro, Widgetlocker, GOTO Lockscreen, and custom keyboards.

Upvote 0
I think theres is a big difference between a jb iphone and the stock Froyo 2.2 regarding customization.

Having both (sitting in front of me actually) and having experienced dealing with both, there is really no comparison. First of all, as was mentioned by the OP, customizing a jb iphone doesnt start with just figuring out how you would like to customize it. First you have to find out which jb is compatible with your phone, back up your data, save shsh blobs (if you want to protect your ability to unlock), etc. Then you have to go through the whole process, how ever long it takes. Hopefully you get it to work on the first try and your phone doesnt freeze on the apple logo. Then you have to start installing cydia apps which may or may not work on your version of the phone (in some cases there may be no way of knowing other than trial and error), and when you are unlucky, you may find your self having to restore your phone (which erases everything), and re-jailbreaking. As if this isnt enough, you also have to consider that cydia apps may very well cause the phone to lag, randomly hang, randomly close... need i continue?

And on top of all that, you still cant even implement 1/4 of the customization you can on Froyo with a few unbuggy lag-free clicks of a button. You will never get homescreen widgets no matter what nor the ability to place app icons wherever you want on your homescreen, or blank homescreens (should you want them) – just to name a few features that are stock right out of the box. And I mean this doesnt even scratch the service of Froyos customizability, but it easily proves my point.

And if thats not enough, now factor in the never ending battle with apple over being able to re-jailbreak your phone after they release new firmware meant to remove your jailbreak and/or unlock forever. Ask any proud owner of a new iphony 4 how much fun they had waiting for a jb to be released for the recent version of iOS 4.1, which finally only came out a few days ago. Not to mention that all those who eagerly jumped at the first chance of using it may now not be able to unlock their phone. I mean please, is iphone really that worth it – to become such a demanding burden in your life that you have to spend this much time to get it to do the basic things you want, like customize your dock?

Now look at Froyo. Open your new phone out of the box, turn it on, open the app market, download LauncherPro (in only a matter of seconds and FOR FREE!!), install (also seconds, no lag, no restart, no hours on forums trouble shooting and stressing wether your phone will ever work again), open LauncherPro preferences, (actually here you can do many things but for example...) change number of docks, allow loop scrolling, go back to home screen and scroll through your 15 icon dock in groups of 5, now long press any space on the dock and decide if you want to launch an app, a specific activity whithin an app, a webpage, a contact, etc. or add a swipe gesture action so that that space on the dock will do a different feature depending on wether it is tapped or swiped. In a few minutes you have had the option of configuring 30 refined functions into your dock based on wether you click or swipe the spaces, and best of all it is smooth, doesnt slow down your phone, and is actually very simple, intuitive, and easy to use. Try that on a jailbroken iphone :eek:

All this without even having to resort to Froyos equivalent to jailbreaking (i.e installing 3rd party/unknown apps) which is as easy as opening settings and clicking "allow unknown apps". Like I said, no comparison...

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones