1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Jelly Bean Battery life (GS3)

1. pauLAW

pauLAW Member

I have seen some posts about this on the Nexus but not the S3 so hopefully you guys can shed some light on my issue.

I installed the Jelly Bean update last night and since then my battery seems to be draining a lot laster. I took the phone off charge at 6am this morning and im down to 50% already without actually using the device very much (I have changed some of the desktop around and looked at the settings)

My Battery usage is showing
    Screen 46%
    android system 16%
    android OS 9%
    Its all very minor things from then on down, nothing stands out.

I have set the screen brightness to auto adjust but has anyone else had any problems? Im wondering if I am just missing a setting for my data syncs or something obvious but nothing is jumping out on me.

im running version 4.1.1 on VodafoneUK

Advertisement
  2. Heisenberg123

Heisenberg123 Well-Known Member

when you tap on screen % it should tell you the length of time thats more important than the % if you had the screen on for 2hours than yes that battery drain is normal
  3. pauLAW

pauLAW Member

Screen time is 1h 21m.

Normal? really? so Jellybean is worse than what I had previous? didnt expect this to be honest.
  4. barryl85

barryl85 Well-Known Member

Heres a comparison i'm on Vodafone UK too with Jelly Bean

Battery is currently at 46%

6hrs 53 mins on battery.

Screen is 67% (2hrs 14mins)
    Android system 7%
    Android OS 6%
    Mediaserver 4%
    Messaging 4%
    Map ServiceSamsung 3%
    Cell Standby 2%
    Internet 2%
    Voice calls 2%
    Device idle 2%
  5. Heisenberg123

not great numbers but not far off, i get 3hours of screen on ICS on a good day so you half way there with about half your battery to go
  6. aldo82

aldo82 Well-Known Member

have you got goole now switched on? I noticed increased battery drain when I upgraded to JB on the Three network and created a thread about it but its disappeared off the first page now. I found with google now off, battery life was more comparable to ICS, with it on its worse. Haven't decided whether to use google now and accept the battery drain yet. Just done a factory reset to see if it makes any difference
  7. pauLAW

pauLAW Member

Thanks for the replies....looks like I'm not alone here.

Google now doesn't appear to be running nope. I am shocked at how jellybean can be doing this...I have to be missing something more obvious
  8. Heisenberg123

how many screen hours did you get on ICS
  9. pauLAW

pauLAW Member

I couldn't give you exact figures but I wasn't ever down to 50% battery life after only 6 or 7 hours
  10. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Well-Known Member

When you first start using a p[hone or update it there is a lot of extra stuff going on in the background that could easily eat up battery time. After a week or so it will settle down.
  11. pcbms

pcbms Well-Known Member

I'm having similar problems - I used the phone very little but was losing around 10% an hour even with the screen off. On ics was getting much better battery life - I might use odin to flash back to the last official Vodafone ics rom
  12. supermac82

supermac82 New Member

I am upragrade my S
  13. Tarant

Tarant Member

Go to settings then battery and see whats using your battery. A battery monitor from the app store will give you a more detailed view.
  14. pauLAW

pauLAW Member

So its not just me then. Looks like this needs resolving before more and more look to flash back to ICS
  15. doc1964

doc1964 Well-Known Member

I found the same. I have now turned off Google Now and also make sure you dont have voice wake up enabled. I turned voice wake up off last night and will see today if it makes any difference.
  16. Burner2004

Burner2004 Well-Known Member

Same here, I had my phone in the charger until 07am this morning. Now it is 10.40 and I didn't even use it for more than 20min wifi and 20 min text-ing. Battery shows 60% and falling 1 % per minute.
    This Jelly(bull)bean is a big virus.
    I just switched everything off from (google) as much as allowed and have un-installed all the stupid advertising programs that came with the update.

This is new to me I have the phone from many months and this is the first time I see anything like that.
    They will come very fast with a fix because I expect a HUGE wave of irritated people metaphorically "bombarding" Samsung with unhappy comments.
    Usually my phone was holding 1 full day (18-24h with gaming) and now 3h later I have 60% considering that I didn't even play a game!

Hopefully this will get better.
  17. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

I installed the UK JB firmware last night and noticed a 6% drop over night which more than usual.

Will see how it goes today, but something seems to be waking up the phone every 30 minutes and I havnt even installed any apps yet. :(
  18. Project2501

Project2501 Active Member

I actually found my battery lasting way longer after JB update.
  19. jamsterdm

jamsterdm Well-Known Member

I feel the same since updating to JB. My battery seems to be going quicker. I checked the usage on battery and Death DOME even though i had closed it was using 40% of battery and when i force stopped it, it still sat there.
  20. supermac82

supermac82 New Member

I think i have fixed the problem. Seemed to be some sort of fault with my sd card. Phone couldnt read it or something. I removed it, fully charged the phone and have only lost 4% in the last 3 and half hours. That's with using the phone too.
  21. jamsterdm

jamsterdm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, My Sd card is absolutely fine but i think my problem was DeathDome
  22. verngator

verngator Well-Known Member

I've been running the final leaked version of JB. Many of us had the same problem with battery life. The issue was Samsung Push. I don't use it myself, so I disabled it in Settings - Applications - All. You can also use Titanium Backup if you are rooted.

I have not yet installed the Sprint OTA - waiting to ensure that I don't lose root - so I can't say for sure whether this issue was resolved by Sprint... so YMMV.
  23. Burner2004

Burner2004 Well-Known Member

No Sd card in my phone and also the phone was lagging in Fifa 12 today, I had to restart it to fix the issue. So I restarted my phone 3 times today to make it work as it worked 2 days ago without Jelly bean. What is happening ?

Also random programs show stopping notifications. I updated yesterday and I regret it already.
  24. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

Battery life is definitely worse on JB via Vodafone UK, unbranded handset.

79% screen
    6% android system
    6% voice calls
    3% cell standby
    3% device idle
    2% media

currently at 78% on 5hr 13m 1s

this should no way be this low in such a short period of time imho.
  25. pauLAW

pauLAW Member

Glad you agree DaddyCee, I have just disabled Samsung push so lets see if that makes a difference