• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just a Quick Question

Hello android forums,

I just had a very quick question - probably a very dumb question.

As you are all aware Google's new Android update, Kit Kat, will be debuting within the next 1 - 2 weeks. I just had a question about updates and the Android firmwares.

Under my settings and About Device, my Android Version says 4.1.2 After doing some research, it seems that the current Android version is 4.3, and Google's Kit Kat is 4.4

Is my phone outdated? When I go to update my software it says, "Your software is up to date." Is there something wrong with my phone or is 4.1.2 really the most current software.

Sorry if this is a very stupid question, I'm just curious and hoping to get Kit Kat when it's released. I'm using a Galaxy S3.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Samsung is currently in the works of upgrading the Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3 and also bringing some of the Galaxy S4 features to the S3. Android "KitKat" is in the last phase of development, it will be up to Samsung and the carrier (Sprint, Verizon, ATT, etc) whether to update to Android KitKat. The following is a article about the 4.3 update for the Galaxy S3. Hope this helps. ;)

Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Update Roll Out Weeks Away

Upvote 0
Samsung is currently in the works of upgrading the Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3 and also bringing some of the Galaxy S4 features to the S3. Android "KitKat" is in the last phase of development, it will be up to Samsung and the carrier (Sprint, Verizon, ATT, etc) whether to update to Android KitKat. The following is a article about the 4.3 update for the Galaxy S3. Hope this helps. ;)

Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Update Roll Out Weeks Away

Thanks for the reply! So, Kitkat will be Android 4.1.3? Or 4.3.0? I'm just so confused because many other sites are saying KitKat will be 4.4..or 4.1.4, haha. So I'm just very confused on all of this, just trying to make sure I have the most current firmware.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! So, Kitkat will be Android 4.1.3? Or 4.3.0? I'm just so confused because many other sites are saying KitKat will be 4.4..or 4.1.4, haha. So I'm just very confused on all of this, just trying to make sure I have the most current firmware.

Andoid 4.4 is "KitKat" there are three versions of Jellybean 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3. The Android ecosystem can be very confusing at times due to different Android versions running on many different smartphones today. :hmmmm:

Upvote 0
Andoid 4.4 is "KitKat" there are three versions of Jellybean 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3. The Android ecosystem can be very confusing at times due to different Android versions running on many different smartphones today. :hmmmm:

So the version I currently have, 4.1.2 is Jelly Bean 4.2? And KitKat is version 4.3 for Androids? Do they all just disregard that 1 and call it 4.2 or something? As long as I have the updated software I'm fine, this is just so I can get Kitkat when it is released.

Upvote 0
So the version I currently have, 4.1.2 is Jelly Bean 4.2? And KitKat is version 4.3 for Androids? Do they all just disregard that 1 and call it 4.2 or something? As long as I have the updated software I'm fine, this is just so I can get Kitkat when it is released.

Your version is 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean). Google did release 4.2 and 4.3 of Android (still called Jelly Bean). However, their code needs to be modified in order to work with your SGS3. This takes some time as each hardware manufacturer needs to put the effort into making Android works with their specific hardware and software (TouchWiz) on their phones. It is up to each individual manufacturer on whether or not they will actually do this and what timeline.

Samsung has announced that they are skipping 4.2 for the SGS3 (and other models). The reason is that the 4.2 update is relatively minor. (Well, that's what they say anyway.) They did say they will update the SGS3 and some other phones to 4.3. I believe 4.3 will be coming to the SGS3 in the upcoming months. No exact date yet.

As for Android 4.4 (Kit Kat), I don't believe Samsung has made any official announcement. If it does come to the SGS3, it likely won't happen until the middle of 2014.

Upvote 0
Your version is 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean). Google did release 4.2 and 4.3 of Android (still called Jelly Bean). However, their code needs to be modified in order to work with your SGS3. This takes some time as each hardware manufacturer needs to put the effort into making Android works with their specific hardware and software (TouchWiz) on their phones. It is up to each individual manufacturer on whether or not they will actually do this and what timeline.

Samsung has announced that they are skipping 4.2 for the SGS3 (and other models). The reason is that the 4.2 update is relatively minor. (Well, that's what they say anyway.) They did say they will update the SGS3 and some other phones to 4.3. I believe 4.3 will be coming to the SGS3 in the upcoming months. No exact date yet.

As for Android 4.4 (Kit Kat), I don't believe Samsung has made any official announcement. If it does come to the SGS3, it likely won't happen until the middle of 2014.

Ah, I think I understand now - it looks like all the newer devices are getting KitKat, 4.4 - but Galaxy S3 will be getting 4.3, still Jelly Bean. And you are correct, it looks like Kitkat will be available for Galaxy S3 users in mid to late 2014. So 4.3 will be released for Galaxy S3 very soon it looks, whenever 4.4 Kitkat is released.

One last question though, it says I have Kernel Version, is this something completely different than 4.1.2 Jelly Bean?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones