• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just Black Pixel 2 XL 128 hands on Review.

This morning I was at Target getting a jump drive and I noticed that they were advertising for the pixel XL 2, not that I am interested in buying one (we just got my wife the note 8,) $1,000 on a second device isn't going to happen. So I started looking around and saw nothing. I did four different Samsung Galaxy S7 and S8's. I saw an S6 , A Note 6 (just one) I saw a couple of LG and HTC devices. Then there were probably twenty different prepaid devices (Moto, Samsung, LG, the one by Sony and another one I can't recall)
Then there were a few iPhones. Not a single Pixel device was on display
The Samsung products were displayed in four different areas. I asked the costumer service agent if they carried the pixel XL 2? She informed me that the store had one, locked up in storage bin in back. It would be put on display at 1pm when one of the electronic techies came in.
So you only put it on display at certain times?
Wednesday thru Sunday 1pm till closing.
How many devices had the store sold???
I was told that the Samsung products and LG products and iPhones products sell very well.
And the pixel device,?
I was informed that you could place your order there and it would be sent via Verizon
I asked if the model they show a working model so one can get the feel of it.
The answer was no. The device is real they simply don't turn it on.
It's only to give a sense of what the device is like. If you are interested in one you should probably go to a Verizon store and check one out
So the store is not really interested in selling the pixel phones??
No she said, our focus is Samsung and iPhones they sell the best
How many pixel phones would you say that the store has sold?
None, the device isn't actually put out for people to see , it's placed under the counter and if someone asks we pull it out.
As my wife and I were leaving she advised us that they had a fantastic selection of
iPhones and Samsung Galaxy S7, S8'S and a nice selection of note 8's

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
Not just Target. And for what it's worth Target, Walmart, Best Buy I don't hold a grudge for them pushing stuff they have incentives to push. I'm in sales, I get paid when I go to work, so should they.

What galls me ... is seeing a commercial for Verizon "Googles EXCLUSIVE wireless partner" and then going into the store and the phone being treated like a red headed step child with leprosy compared to the Icrap and Samdung phones. It's a joke, and not a funny one.

But ya know what I have never once had the "IT" phone and I could care less. I love my XL 2 I loved my Pixel, I loved my Nexus 6 and I loved my Moto X and Atrix's ... Not a one of them was the BIG DEAL, and it never bothered me a bit.

Reactions: joe71
Upvote 0
Not just Target. And for what it's worth Target, Walmart, Best Buy I don't hold a grudge for them pushing stuff they have incentives to push. I'm in sales, I get paid when I go to work, so should they.

What galls me ... is seeing a commercial for Verizon "Googles EXCLUSIVE wireless partner" and then going into the store and the phone being treated like a red headed step child with leprosy compared to the Icrap and Samdung phones. It's a joke, and not a funny one.

But ya know what I have never once had the "IT" phone and I could care less. I love my XL 2 I loved my Pixel, I loved my Nexus 6 and I loved my Moto X and Atrix's ... Not a one of them was the BIG DEAL, and it never bothered me a bit.

Yeah, it's always been that way. I remember standing in line outside a Verizone store for the Galaxy Nexus on launch day and the people inside barely knowing what it was. Turned out it was crap, but I didn't know that at the time.

Upvote 0
Okay so I was out and about today and the wife and I ended up at another Target. While there we decided to check out the Pixel XL 2 and guess what ? Again the store had one model locked away in storage.
When we asked the store employee if we could see it , the response was what carrier are you on?
I said project Fi (Google's cellphone service) neither of the pimple face idiots had heard of it.
The first one said sorry it's only sold in stores for Verizon networks if you want it on Fi contact Google or go order one online.
I started to say well perhaps I might be looking at moving to Verizon? (Absolutely no way am I going to Verizon)
One disappeared and the other turned his back and pulled out his phone and started typing
He glanced at me and asked looking down at his phone if I needed anything else? I thought for a brief second of throwing his phone against the wall and then him right after it. I turned and walked away.
I did notice that this store only had four Samsung products displayed. I saw signs for Verizon, at&t and Sprint but only four Samsung products. I didn't see any tablets, iPhones or prepaid devices. Infact when it came to cellphones and cellphone related items that Target was seriously lacking.

Upvote 0
I know the discussion turned to crappy retail presence for the Pixels, but to get back on track.

I got my Google Home Mini yesterday (my free premium from pre-ordering) and I gotta say, it's really kinda cool. Considering ordering another couple tomorrow when they go on sale. I've got my freebie in the living room, but I think I'd like one in the bedroom and office too. (Maybe kitchen depending on my beloved - ;)) I think the ability to play music and just ask questions or stream media to my Chromecast without lifting a finger is reason enough to have another couple especially if they are 20 or 30 bucks.

The phone, well the phone is superb. I've said it a lot but the battery is just insane, I love the screen, the speakers, all the goodies. It's really a great phone and I think Google/LG got a bum rap on this. People are calling it a bad device and they will "never buy LG again" etc. I really think it's overblown. I love the feel of the phone, the hardware, I have really become fond of the look - yes even Just Black is damn attractive, it works great, buttons feel awesome and clicky, and it just feels solid.

Anyone holding out or on the fence about this phone, all I can say is your chances of getting a good one are very high and wow are they fantastic. :cool:

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Got my Panda two days ago, so far I'm super psyched. Only one issue, I've had two reboots in two days with no apparent reason. Have you had any issue with that?

I really don't want to RMA because I think everything else about this phone is amazing and don't want to take a chance on a replacement.

I have not, not with either one I had. OS was solid as a rock. How bout we pay a game.

Tell me about getting your phone and setting it up, did you pull over your stuff from your old device or clean install? If you loaded your old stuff on the Pixel did this start after installing just your existing apps or have you downloaded anything new?

What carrier are you on? Fi? Using esim?

Maybe we can figure this out before a panicked RMA. I sadly had one and wish I wouldn't have, not that phone 2 isn't as good as phone 1 just ... wasn't needed.

Upvote 0
Got my Panda two days ago, so far I'm super psyched. Only one issue, I've had two reboots in two days with no apparent reason. Have you had any issue with that?

I really don't want to RMA because I think everything else about this phone is amazing and don't want to take a chance on a replacement.
I've seen a few posts about random reboots. I'd first suggest using the phone in Safe Mode for a day or two to see if the reboots still occur. If not, you've probably got a problem with one of your installed apps. You could try a factory reset and slowly install your apps one by one to try to find the culprit.

If it still reboots in Safe Mode, there's something else going on and you should go ahead and Contact Pixel Support.

Upvote 0
I've seen a few posts about random reboots. I'd first suggest using the phone in Safe Mode for a day or two to see if the reboots still occur. If not, you've probably got a problem with one of your installed apps. You could try a factory reset and slowly install your apps one by one to try to find the culprit.

If it still reboots in Safe Mode, there's something else going on and you should go ahead and Contact Pixel Support.

Dang moderators knowing their stuff. Yes this 100%.

Upvote 0
Camera. I mean damn. There's just not words.
IMG_20171122_181306.jpg
IMG_20171122_181303.jpg
MVIMG_20171122_190432.jpg
IMG_20171116_130911.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones