• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got my Captivate! New to Android!

bigdaddydo

Mar 1, 2011
Hey guys, I just got my Captivate and man this thing is sexy. I am completely new to Android and I would like to install the Amazon App Store as well as remove all the ATT Bloatware.

What I first did was update my phone to 2.2 through Kines Mini
Then I used the super one click and rooted my phone and I know have superuser on my phone.

What do I do now to install the amazon appstore and remove att bloatware? When I launch the file from my downloads it still wont let me install it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

did you reboot your phone after the rooting?

if not do that, then go back into super1click and you should see the enable non market apps button (all the way to the right) so plug in your phone like you did to root it but this time click enable non market apps. (might have to reboot phone again after its done)

ok now go to the amazon site and find the appstore link put in your phone number or email address. they will then send you the link to download the app store. login then let the downloading begin

i havent removed any bloatware yet so i cant advise on that subject sorry

Upvote 0
did you reboot your phone after the rooting?

if not do that, then go back into super1click and you should see the enable non market apps button (all the way to the right) so plug in your phone like you did to root it but this time click enable non market apps. (might have to reboot phone again after its done)

ok now go to the amazon site and find the appstore link put in your phone numbe or email address. they will then send you the link to download the app store

i havent removed any bloatware yet so i cant advise on that subject sorry

Thanks for your response! I will try rebooting the phone and see what happens..

I must say, I have been really spoiled by the iPhone. It was so easy to jailbreak and Android phones are alot more complicated, but looks so worth it though!

Upvote 0
Wow it worked after I rebooted the phone! Thank you so much. Now to get started putting a custom rom on this bad boy :)

Anyone have any beginner tips for a newbie?

Also should I install the android sdk drivers on my computer? I simply just downloaded the superoneclick program and it worked without it.

Upvote 0
I'm not 100% but i dont think you need the sdk drivers unless you want to use SWM (sideload wonder machine) which i use on my non rooted inspire to sideload apps. but since my captivate is rooted and i have enabled non market apps i have had success in just downloading straight from the phone.

as for custom roms check out Captivate - All Things Root - Android Forums

Upvote 0
Wow it worked after I rebooted the phone! Thank you so much. Now to get started putting a custom rom on this bad boy :)

Anyone have any beginner tips for a newbie?

Also should I install the android sdk drivers on my computer? I simply just downloaded the superoneclick program and it worked without it.

Ck out the forums at XDA and read read read..baywolf over there has produced an all in one app to help flashing a custom rom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones