• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got the S2

What should I know about the phone ? Any tips tricks ? What apps are worth downloading ?
I want to get the most out of this phone.

Are you new to Android or just your phone?

Anyway, short list of apps that go on my phone first (not root related)

Zedge for ringtones
AirDroid for wifi access to your phone
Lightflow - led manipulation (I'm not sure if your phone has a notification LED, I have a GNex)
Netflix - movies
TuneIn radio - streaming radio stations
WeatherBug Elite - my choice for weather, I settled on it a long time ago, and really haven't looked around since, so I am not saying this is the best, just that I've had it and it has worked for me.

For tips for your phone, I would check out the forum for the S2.

Enjoy and welcome aboard.:)

Upvote 0
Cheers guys.
just downloaded the golauncher EX app, trying to get used to widgets and the phone layout!

And im new to android alltogether. This phone has LOADS to it haha. Im lost.

You are definitely in the right place to learn how to take advantage of and use all the fun and features of your new toy, ah phone.

Upvote 0
Which version of the S2 do you have? If you have the AT&T version, you can take screenshots by holding down the home button and pressing the lock button at the same time. Just do it fast enough so it doesn't actually take you to the home screen. I'm not sure if this feature is available to the other versions though, maybe you can try it if you have a different variant.

Upvote 0
And im new to android alltogether. This phone has LOADS to it haha. Im lost.

I had an original Droid phone before getting a Galaxy Player 5 (very similar to the SGS2, but without the phone). I felt like a kid in a candy store! I'm having a lot of fun with this thing and discovering new things almost every day.

I tell my wife it's a "productive waste-of-time" device. :D (she's totally tech challenged) :p

Upvote 0
I do not like touchwiz solely because you can't customize the apps at the bottom of the screen. i use a third party text app (handcent) and i can't replace the standard texting app so i use go launcher to be able to customize the layout.

You actually can customize those apps. All you need to do is open your app drawer, hit the menu button, and push edit. This will allow you to change those apps. Personally I love Touchwiz. (which is weird because I've only had stock android devices until recently.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones