• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

K9 Email help for a technophobe?

Benaroo

Lurker
Apr 11, 2012
Hi everyone,

I've scoured the net to try and find a solution to my problem regarding my droid (Desire HD) and email applications.

I travel around the country a lot so need a good email app to receive and send mail on the go.

So I setup my account on K9 using the "exchange" email setup and I find that I never receive email - they come through on a desk top PC but never to my phone (even when I set it to poll every minute/5 minutes). I tried then setting the account up as an IMAP, which brings the mail through instantly, but this does not let me send email (I get an error saying the SMTP connection length is 0).

I downloaded maildroid and set up my account as exchange and again can send email, but it very rarely brings the emails through to the phone. I also put two hotmail accounts on maildroid which also only receive emails now and then.

So I'm sure that this is something to do with me and not the email apps, but I was wondering if someone/anyone can help me out? My supervisor keeps shoving his iphone in my face that sends/receives mail perfectly (even though he can't tell me why it works for him and not me) so if anyone can prevent me murdering him by helping sort this I would be most grateful.

Cheers

Edit: I realise that this is quite vague but I'm not big on technicalities. If extra info is needed I can try and provide this!

I've currently got my exchange email set up as an IMAP so as to actually receive email (is this actually the first thing I'm doing wrong?).

I just tried to send an email through K9 and actually get a different message now: java.net.sockettimeoutexception: connection tim... (it won't show the rest)

I've just tried to do this both with and without wifi connected.

Having then deleted the account and re-set it up as an exchange account, the thing never receives email unless I physically go into the account and "check mail" and even then it sometimes does not do anything. I can, however, send email.

My server address etc. is the same for both accounts as is the port number.

Upvote 0
I'ts a pretty convoluted situation, but I'm working freelance at the moment and its a university email (who say they won't touch phone problems) so to be honest there is no one I can show this to.

Assuming its something to do with my outgoing email, is the SMTP server address going to be the same as the incoming mail server? Even though I'm using the same for both exchange and IMAP accounts, could this be why I can only receive or send but not both?

Upvote 0
Try and double check your settings because I had an issue before where K9 was populating my server info with the wrong stuff

If you are able to you should contact whoever is in charge of you exchange server an get the sockets and ports and what not.

For the issue with other email providers you need to make sure and configure your email to use either POP3 or IMAP.

Also one last thing to check is under settings in accounts and sync under add account there should be an option for exchange accounts

Hopefully this helps you get in control of your email

Upvote 0
I'ts a pretty convoluted situation, but I'm working freelance at the moment and its a university email (who say they won't touch phone problems) so to be honest there is no one I can show this to.

Assuming its something to do with my outgoing email, is the SMTP server address going to be the same as the incoming mail server? Even though I'm using the same for both exchange and IMAP accounts, could this be why I can only receive or send but not both?

I'm not sure how university emails work. However, the outgoing mail is usually mail.xxxxx.com and the incoming is usually smtp.xxxx.com.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones