Keep Eris from pocket dialing?Support

Last Updated:

1. kar1m

kar1m New Member This Topic's Starter

Phone keeps dialing the last person in call history. Is there some way to have a confirm button to prevent this from happening?

I know if I push the end button before holstering I don't have this issue. But sometimes it gets holstered with the screen still on.:confused:

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

well, it locks for a reason....not trying to be a smartass but they make you hit end and swipe or hit menu to unlock the phone specifically to prevent this from happening.

3. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

Press the back button when you are done on the phone. Sounds like you are in a hurry when you get off the phone though so if you do not have time to lock the screen, you may not have time to back out of the dialer.

4. AwesomeIT

AwesomeIT Well-Known Member

Like others have said, this doesn't sound like an issue. The phone comes with the exact feature you are looking for, which is a screen lock, you just don't seem to be using it 100% of the time when you put your phone in your pocket.

5. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

Simple mistake, it happens to all of us time-to-time. I hit the Home then the Hang Up/Screen off hard key without thinking when I am done using the phone now. Just something you have to work on.

If this isn't the case, and you have a software issue where your screen randomly turns on and off, then keep an eye on it and find out how it keeps doing this. Just post here again and we'll help you out. If we can't, Google is always the next people to talk to.

6. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

I would just recommend locking your phone.

7. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

My Eris turned on by itself in my pocket during class. Good think I left my earphones in or music would of been playing. I think it is bad to wear skinny jeans while having the Eris in your pocket.;)

8. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

The Earphones could have possibly caused your phone to turn back on without notice. I recommend not leaving them in unless you’re using them. Just like the charger, when you plug it in or remove it, the phone removes itself from sleep.

9. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

Similar question.... How do I stop the screen from locking automatically ? "Screen Timeout" is not what I'm looking for. That's okay, the screen can turn off, I just don't want to have to un-lock it each time. I know I can manually lock it and am okay with that, i.e. when I stick it in my pocket.

10. Caddyman

i dont think you can disable the lock.

11. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

It's not really a lock, since anyone can operate it ;)

The whole point of the thing we are calling a "lock" is to make pocket dialing (or just waking the phone up when it's not needed) less likely.

That's also the reason why the first OTA update changed the behavior of the initial screen "lock" - you have to be more precise now, probably because too many people were "unlocking" their phones sliding them into a pocket.

I pocket dialed one or two people (from a shirt pocket!) shortly after I got the phone - but I wasn't in the habit of always pressing the "end" button to sleep the screen when finished using the phone.

I think you want to have the lock there - your contacts will thank you for it.

eu1

12. mattjphoto

mattjphoto Well-Known Member

I pocket dialed my friend 2x in a night and I have no clue how. I added the pattern screen and have yet to pocket dial another person.

13. davidha

davidha New Member

I've experience a lot of "pocket dialing" as well on this model. I'm very careful to go to the home screen and press the "red phone" button to turn the screen blank/lock the phone. However, if I miss a call or get a calendar reminder it wakes the phone up. The method of swipe to unlock the eris (simple down motion) seems to be defeatable by my pocket. I tried using the extra swipe security offered on the eris but I'm afraid I'll pocket dial 911 since it has a button for that on the screen. Has anyone found a successful solution? Just the ability to change the unlock swipe would probably do the trick.

14. Caddyman

Lock 2.0 our lockbot free might help

15. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

Yes, the alarms/calls wake your phone up, but you still have to swipe halfway down the screen. Some people have some pretty talented legs that are able to swipe down a screen just right, even through the fabric. This has happened to me exactly 0 times.

16. davidha

davidha New Member

Nice, thanks for the tip. Looks like an improvement - or at least I have some options. However, I did a test and called my phone and I think my main problem still exists. When I get a calendar event alert or call (that I don't answer) the phone unlocks itself and remains unlocked in my pocket after that point. If you could improve your product to manage that case I'd pay for it. Especially since I've noticed some accidentaly app downloads because of this - fortunately haven't downloaded anything expensive by accident but it's probably just a matter of time.

17. Caddyman

I wish it was my product to improve...lol...email the dev and see what he says

18. pjsockett

pjsockett Well-Known Member

I have been having the same issues. It seems my phone somehow unlocks when certain notifications come through because it isn't usually right after I put the phone in my pocket. I know the phone was locked but when I take it out it has made calls, posted to twitter, or sent text messages. I tried lockbot, it's a great app but didn't help the problem. The only solution I have found is to use pattern lock. I don't particularly like it but it works.

19. Ty07allstar

Ty07allstar Well-Known Member

See if in the settings for the programs that cause the notifications there is an option to turn off turning the screen on and unlocking it when it notifies you. I know that chompSMS has a thing that it'll turn on and unlock the screen when you get a text message.

20. fisbo

fisbo New Member

Just to add to those who have experienced this, I've had my Eris for less than a week and it has turned on/unlocked in my pocket several times. I think the issue is that you don't have to slide down to unlock, you can also hit 'menu.' Does anyone know of a way to disable that? Sort of defeats the purpose of the slide to unlock thing.

21. Wraithbane

Wraithbane Well-Known Member

Look up "not call log", that might help you, it bounces the phone *out* of the phone app at the end of the call. I had a heck of a time with accidentally calling someone back when I was attempting to hang up until I got that app.

22. LiverpoolsNo9

LiverpoolsNo9 Well-Known Member

23. Sketchee

Sketchee Well-Known Member

Set Google Voice to ask every time if you want to use your GV number. Then, even if the phone dials, there is yet another screen that would have to be pocket pressed. I never use my GV number outgoing, but it works and its just an extra tap to make a call

24. xjken

xjken Active Member

+1
    "Not Call Log" app and pattern lock is what I use. This app allows you to choose what you want the phone to do at the end of a call. I choose it to go back to the home screen.

25. Filipino.Cowboy

Filipino.Cowboy Well-Known Member

I think the pocket dialing may be happening more with those wearing slacks or dress pants. I won't happen to me in jeans, but thinner dress pants it does. Its just thin enough to allow contact with the skin and trigger a response. I pocked dialed 6 people today...