• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keep old version of app after factory reset

admay

May 17, 2011
The time has come to do a factory reset on my Nexus S (OK, I know it is old but it still works)

Normally I would just do this and then reinstall the apps from Google Play. However there are a couple of apps that I have deliberately not upgraded because they are suddenly demanding additional privileges that I see no reason why they need.

Is there any way to save the version that I have and reinstall it after the factory reset?

This will be a reset to the current OS, not an upgrade.

I am running Cyanogenmod 10.2.1 if that makes any difference.

Andrew

App Backup & Restore

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.appbackup&hl=en

Make sure you backup to your external SD card.

The time has come to do a factory reset on my Nexus S (OK, I know it is old but it still works)

Normally I would just do this and then reinstall the apps from Google Play. However there are a couple of apps that I have deliberately not upgraded because they are suddenly demanding additional privileges that I see no reason why they need.

Is there any way to save the version that I have and reinstall it after the factory reset?

This will be a reset to the current OS, not an upgrade.

I am running Cyanogenmod 10.2.1 if that makes any difference.

Andrew

Upvote 0
Since you are running CM10, I'm going to assume the phone is rooted. You can use Titanium Backup to back up the apps. In addition to backing them up to the SD card, I would also copy the titanium folder to a PC just in the off chance that a reset wiped your sd card. It shouldn't but better safe than sorry. :)

Just a thought ... if any of them are paid apps, you might want to check with the developer first, since they don't always backup exactly right.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
TB doesn't back up everything. It doesn't seem to back up databases. You do get the app, but the app is useless w/o the database. I've had that happen with a few paid for apps. The large downloads will tell you to use wifi if you don't have unlimited data.
One astronomy app will download almost 10,000 files, (small ones so fairly fast) but it took almost 3 hours for Sibley Birds after finally making up my mind to install CM. Phone was rooted, but on stock ROM.

I've tried copying everything from the phone over to the computer, and still have the problem. I'd prefer to do the old install and get all of it, too.

The DB will mostly be the new ones, so you probably get the changes in the app with them. You do keep the keys for any paid app, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones