• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Keyboard issues... will rooting and flashing a custom ROM solve them?

My girlfriend and I both own LG Ally's - I've rooted mine and have flashed Velocity v0.3 on to it, while she has refused to let me experiment with her's, until now.

She has been having issues with her keyboard. Her "H" key doesn't work all the time, unless a certain key is pressed beforehand (usually the "space" key will get it working.) She also claims the keyboard will just flat out stop responding if she is in the middle of typing something.

I know she has rebooted her phone many times in an attempt to solve the problem, but hasn't pulled the battery.

She now wants me to root and flash Velocity on to her phone, to see if that will solve the problem. Do you guys think that might be the trick?

With H being directly above the space key, it sounds like it might be a hardware problem. If somehow a speck of dirt got under the 'dome' where both of those key switches reside, pressing one might have an interaction with the other. I have seen this kind of issue with the type of switches used on the Ally before. If that is the case, only disassembly and cleaning of the switches will fix it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones