• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Kies Air not working over wifi

OK so... this is my first post on Android Forum!! XD
Well I just solved this problem ten minutes ago: I turned off the WI-FI of my cellphone and my computer (Windows XP) and then started them again conecting to the same wireless network. Although in my cellphone appeared the same IP adress as when I had problem, I typed in the browser URL (IE 8) exactly the same as what appeared in the cellphone and it worked!!! Hope this helps..!

Upvote 0
Hi to all! Unfortunately, I don't still have a solution to this problem, but I narrowed our search a little. I concluded it is definately a network/router problem. I tried it on diferent networks, somewhere it works perfectly, but at my home network it doesn't work at all. I tried forwarding 8080 port in my router - doesn't work, opened the port in windows firewall, tried turning off WF and Kaspersky - doesn't work. My final final argumen for the conclusion that is a network/router problem is that I tried two more similar apps for this purpose, and had the identical problem with both of them like with the Kies air.

Hopes this interests someone enough to try fixing it on the router or in windows, I searched all over google results on different seraches and still nothing. Tahnx in advance.

I seem to be on the same wavelength as yourself here;
I spent two nights at two different houses trying to solve this and this was my solution;

Clear the Kies Air data using your App Killer

Use the actual icon in the menu, NOT A SHORTCUT, to start up Kies again

For some reason using a shortcut to the Kies Air App does not run the same process as starting it from the actual app menu.

Hope this helps anyone else :)

Upvote 0
In relation to the error in IE that there is an "error with the Kies web page", I uninstalled Jave 6/23 and it connected to Kies OK but asked to install Java. I followed the prompts to install the latest version of Jave 6/30 and it stilled worked but I was asked to allow Java to have network access which I did. This may indicate that some of us may have Java installed but without network access permission. Unfortunately I do not know how to reconfigure Java. If you need to fix this problem just uninstall Java - start Kies and follow the prompts. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
New to Android and GS 2 (19100M), have reviewed the posts. Both laptop and device set to same router/network. However, when trying to open Kies air either way (through settings or icon) and enter http address shown for router thr' Kies air, I get message on laptop's bluetooth "The device does not have the necessary services." So, no ability to browse the device (GS 2) from laptop. Anyone have a clue as to what's missing? Both are Bluetooth enabled and discoverable/visible.:thinking:

Upvote 0
New to Android and GS 2 (19100M), have reviewed the posts. Both laptop and device set to same router/network. However, when trying to open Kies air either way (through settings or icon) and enter http address shown for router thr' Kies air, I get message on laptop's bluetooth "The device does not have the necessary services." So, no ability to browse the device (GS 2) from laptop. Anyone have a clue as to what's missing? Both are Bluetooth enabled and discoverable/visible.:thinking:

I've discovered that updating Kies Air is a bad thing. I've got that same error msg as you after update. I removed the update (uninstalled it through appbrain) and voila! It works again! :)

Reactions: Passiflora54
Upvote 0
:):):) It worked!!! Thanks heaps! I was going insane trying to get mine to connect! Tried all the others on here but this one worked for me!!! :):):)

Kies works perfectly over wifi...to get it working go to settings /wireless and network / Kies via Wi-Fi...the phone will scan for devices on your network, when one shows up just click on it and a box pops up on your computer screen to authorize and off you go.

Does well on my GS2.

Upvote 0
Hi guys. I'm new here and just joined because of this problem. I have owned a GS1 since last summer and have always used Kies at home and at work with no problems (through browsers). I bought a Samsung digital camera and it wirelessly connects through my router to my phone without issue (I can control it from my phone).
Yesterday I picked up a Galaxy Tab 10.1. Here's where things get a little hinky.

I was poking around in the WiFi settings and I found the "Kies via WiFi" option. I clicked it and to my surprise my PC (which is wired) immediately popped up a permission window. I allowed it and up popped the Kies software without a browser.

So, there are two ways to make Kies work (I had no idea). Here's where I made my first mistake. I allowed Kies to update and the non browser Kies via WiFi stopped working. I can still connect using Kies in a browser, but the software without the browser will not work. When I click Kies via WiFi the tablet starts trying to connect but the PC never sees it. Also, if I connect using a USB cable, again Kies will not connect to the tablet. I have allowed it to reinstall the device drivers several times. I can see the tablet in Computer as a drive, and copy to and from it, but Kies says it's not there.

So, I uninstalled Kies and reinstalled it but still get the same results. This is really too bad because now that I know Kies will work over WiFi without a browser, that's the way I want it to work. I have seen other people's suggestions above regarding resetting the router and I will give that a try tonight. Of course I rebooted the PC several times but it didn't help. My tablet works fine using the browser method, and I can also stream movies and music from my NAS using AllShare (avoid the PC AllShare software, all it did for me in Windows 7 64 was crash and crash and crash, but the Android version works fine).

I have to say I love Samsung products, but they sure suck at writing software.

Upvote 0
Hello.

In the last weeks I've started using Kies Air and I think it's fantastic. But I have a problem, I struggle to get it to connect. I've attempted to use it many times this week but only twice has it connectd. I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I launch the app, type in the URL into my browser but vast majority of the time my browser won't pick it up. I've tried using Chrome, Firefox, Safari and IE but neither has worked. I've deleted my internet history and cookies, I've restarted my phone and it still doesn't work.

My phone is connected to the same Wifi as my computer.

Can anyone help me fix this problem please?

Thanks. :)

Upvote 0
I had this same problem, watched Kies connect once, but never connected again, kept stalling. Tried Mozilla, Chrome and Explorer, all with the same result. Then I noticed lots of Java icons stacked up in the taskbar, and under closer inspection, lots of instances of java started in the task manager.
Turns out the problem is the Java cache on your PC, it doesn't clear after you drop the connection, and prevents further re-connection attempts. Uninstall the Java on your PC and it all works fine. Not sure what you need to do if Java is essential to you.

Good spot Didgesteve, Java was exactly the problem. My kies air was working fine and then suddenly stopped working in my browsers. I have been wasting hours trying to use sniffers etc to find what the hell was going on. Thought I would check the forums and hey presto, your fix sounded like it had merit and sure enough :)
well spotted m8:), I use kies air to send sms messages, way easier than on the droid.

Upvote 0
When I first got the phone I could connect using my router. Since then whenever I your in the IP address into my browser the laptop won't recognize the address. I've checked that the laptop address is similar via ipconfig in the command window and it's fine. I've also turned off the Norton firewall but that didn't help. Any ideas anyone? Thanks
I found a solution to this thread and it took hours of tinkering to get it, in firefox if your Java Platform is not up to date it will be disabled by firefox it is listed under "ADD ONS , the same is also true if you using internet explorer, you MUST have an updated version of java or your PC will not connect with the url given by your phone.

Upvote 0
I'm in a bungalow on a Thai beach with good WiFi. I cannot connect to Kies (grrr feck fack fick you Samsung Galaxy 2. I wish I never bought you). I've tried all solutions here but nothing works.

Then I see I have 2 internet connections e.g. Guest house 1 (strong signal) and Guest house 2 (very weak signal).
My phone will only connect to guest house 1 but I connect my puter to guest house 2 and now Kies works.
They are different signals but I have achieved a connection with Kies.

My problem now is that guest house 2 signal is so weak that my puter keeps losing it. But at least I have a Kies connection and will persevere (with lots of cursing e.g. "I facking hate you Samsung shite") to download my latest snapshot movies from my pathetic Samsung crap phone to my dream machine computer.

Upvote 0
Hi to all! Unfortunately, I don't still have a solution to this problem, but I narrowed our search a little. I concluded it is definately a network/router problem. I tried it on diferent networks, somewhere it works perfectly, but at my home network it doesn't work at all. I tried forwarding 8080 port in my router - doesn't work, opened the port in windows firewall, tried turning off WF and Kaspersky - doesn't work. My final final argumen for the conclusion that is a network/router problem is that I tried two more similar apps for this purpose, and had the identical problem with both of them like with the Kies air.

Hopes this interests someone enough to try fixing it on the router or in windows, I searched all over google results on different seraches and still nothing. Tahnx in advance.
I agree with you, it's router problem.
I have Samsung Galaxy Note2 and I tried using Kies Air with 3 different wifi networks.
It worked in 2 of them but didn't work at my home network!!!
So I concluded that my laptop and phone settings are perfect but it must has to do with router.
I have Netgear router WNR1000v3, I logged in and updated fimware to
Firmware Version V1.0.2.54_60.0.82NA.
Then I was browsing through setting and saw under wireless setting tab the option called "Enable Wireless Isolation". I unselected it and applied setting and Hurreyyy Kies Air via wifi started working!!!!
I hope this will be helpful to everyone

Upvote 0
I had given up tryig to use kiese, my IE browser would always crash when i entered 192.168.1.101:8080/
today went back to give it a go, same problem, but then i tried using chrome browser and got an error message saying i needed to update java. after updating java, both chrome and IE worked with kies. Not sure if this is a permanent solution, but we will see, If it does not work long term i will be back to post that. may try that AirDroid app too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones