• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help KIES refusing firmware recognition

I have just bought a Galaxy Ace 2 (I8160), and when connecting it to my computer via the USB cable and KIES I get the following message on the General screen under Firmware Information :- "Your device does not support software upgrading via KIES."
So, that being the case, and both the Galaxy Ace2 and Kies are Samsung products, how the hell will it be possible to upgrade to ICS when (if) it becomes available ?
Is there a tweak in some hidden menu item on my phone? am I the only person in the world with this problem? - would appreciate some help guys. BTW, I live in the UK, so there should be no zone problems.

There is an option to check for updates through the handset, settings, about phone, software update. I only got my Ace 2 the other day and haven't used KIES with it yet, but I'm going to download and try.

Have tried KIES, I have the same message, from an extensive search, this is a common and unresolved issue, my advice is to wait until ICS available and do over the air update via handset, that's what I'll be doing!

Upvote 0
It looks like Galaxy SII will only be available for upgrade through Kies, and not over the air (according to a mag I was browsing in Smiths). That don't sound too clever for us. Also, checking Kies Tools menu item "Firmware Upgrade & Initialisation" gives the message "GT-I8160 doesn't support Initialising". In short, I think we are stuffed as far as getting a ligit copy of ICS for this phone !

Upvote 0
Just made a discovery!!! I tried pressing Up-volume/On/OK combination whilst switching on. Don't know what happened, but the phone backed itself up(?) and then installed something else, havn't got a clue what it was, I didn't read it just panicked and OKed when asked to restart... But now KIES recognises the firmaware! nothing else seems to have changed.. Try it and see if it works for you, fuzzface.

Reactions: fuzzface
Upvote 0
Hope it does work ... Kies still says "GT-I8160 does not support initialising" whatever that means. Any ideas? BTW, contacted Samsung support, they told me to take my phone to a drop in repair centre to get it upgraded.. Bloody cheek, the phone is less than a month old, and I am being advised to travel over 50 miles - with no transport of my own - to a City I don't know to get it updated. No offer of take it back to where you got it from! The onus is on me to get it fixed. Not a happy bunny !!!!

Upvote 0
I get the same, possibly due to ICS not being released on this device, unlikely a service centre would get different result. (also could be due to Ace 2 having OTA update capabilities, there are some handsets that don't have that and updating through KIES is the only option)

My advice, sit tight, don't bother with service centre as your phone isn't defective.

Upvote 0
Your advice is sound! I'm not shelling out good money taking a journey for a probable lost cause.. To update you on the Help centre, had an email this morning, the Tech guys want me to create a Kies logger file, with screen shots and email it to them - "-and expect a call from them within a couple of days"
Dunno what they are going to come up with, I'll keep you informed .. Watch this space

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones