• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

KitKat help the N4 camera?

kwalla

Sep 17, 2011
www.solavei.com
A recent trip to NYC really highlighted for me just how terrible, utterly terrible, the camera is on the N4. My friend had an HTC One and it took wonderful pictures... while my N4.. well, let's just say, the one good thing about having the N4 is that I didn't have to actually take any pictures... I just said pointed out things for the proper camera to capture.

Any hope that KitKat will help the camera? I rather imagine the OIS stuff is hardware driven, so of no use to the N4, but I'd love to be wrong.

I'll tell you right now that the worst part of the N4's camera is the software. I have the S4 GPe, and the photo quality for anything that involves any degree of movement (including tree leaves in the wind) blurs like mad. The Touchwiz S4 takes excellent shots. Now, a perfectly still image looks near identical on both devices.

Supposedly there are software fixes in the new camera app that should partially address our issues. But camera software for Google right now is abysmal.

Upvote 0
I'll tell you right now that the worst part of the N4's camera is the software. I have the S4 GPe, and the photo quality for anything that involves any degree of movement (including tree leaves in the wind) blurs like mad. The Touchwiz S4 takes excellent shots. Now, a perfectly still image looks near identical on both devices.

Supposedly there are software fixes in the new camera app that should partially address our issues. But camera software for Google right now is abysmal.

Well worded. Google right now is trying to make android (vanilla) the OS that everyone wants. Performance enhancements, more useful day to day features, better UI and AI, That's all on top of Google's Android Priority list. Camera software is not near the top but that does not mean the issue won't be addressed. Instead of tackling the issue head on, it may just be resolved in increments, one bug fix at a time.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised you all find the camera so bad. The only time I've had problems is when I accidentally turned that HDR thing on - that simply doesn't work. Otherwise, I can't say I have any real complaints. Takes reasonable enough pictures pretty much every time.

Maybe I'm just used to awful cameras :rolleyes:

Admittedly, the camera on my missus iP5s is better (not that I'd ever admit that to her), but not massively so.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised you all find the camera so bad.

I agree. I'm an amateur photographer and use several "proper" cameras each for their particular strengths; none would serve as a "do everything" camera despite all being quite expensive compared with a Nexus 4. Even my "cheap" pocket camera cost much more than a N4, so when I do take a picture with the Nexus I don't expect anything other than what I get - a decent enough image by phone standards.

I see lots of terrible pictures taken with some very expensive cameras but rarely is the camera's at fault; "a bad workman blames his tools" is equally true of photography, whether with a phone or a dedicated camera. The N4 doesn't have a great camera but it does have one that I find to be mostly quite competent, certainly better than other phones I had previously owned.

Bottom line: of course it can be improved (what can't?) but IMO the N4 camera is nothing like as bad as most other opinions in this thread would seem to indicate.

Upvote 0
Interesting comments on the whole "a bad workman blames his tools"... find someone with an HTC One and you (the workman) take pictures of multiple things with both. It's a stunning world of difference... or so I've found.

As always, your opinions will vary on your expectations.... but the fact of the matter is that N4's camera is a weak point -- not a surprise given its price point and that it wasn't designed to be the 'best' at anything other than the best overall value. Reviews of it are pretty much universal on the point.

The question of the thread is more... any chance of KitKat making the N4's camera better?

The reviews of the N5 have been pretty clear that camera is improved over the N4, but that could well be due to just hardware changes.

Upvote 0
Hmm .. just read this article which states that tne Nexus 5 actually uses the same sensor as the N4 .. which would suggest that the new gubbins like HDR+ and (more interestingly) image stabilisation may be software and thus could possibly, maybe, perhaps work on the N4 ..

When's that KitKat release coming again ..?

While I do hope for some form of software-based image stabilization, the image stabilization in the Nexus 5 is hardware based. That's something that can't/won't be ported to the Nexus 4.

But I am hoping for the software based image stabilization, as my Galaxy S2 had it, buy my S4 GPe does not, and it makes a noticable difference on picture quality. My S2 took better photos, by far.

Upvote 0
the image stabilization in the Nexus 5 is hardware based

That would suggest the article I saw was wrong about the camera unit on the N5 being the same as on the N4. Kind of a bummer, but like you say, I guess that doesn't preclude some kind of improved software.

Another review I read yesterday claimed Google are already working on a fix for issues with the N5 camera - hopefully they'll also help with the N4. Not that I have any particular issue with the N4 camera, but better is better :D

Upvote 0
That would suggest the article I saw was wrong about the camera unit on the N5 being the same as on the N4. Kind of a bummer, but like you say, I guess that doesn't preclude some kind of improved software.

Not at all. From what you described, they could very well have the same sensor. Using the same sensor does not preclude one from using OIS and the other not.

Assuming that the article that you read was correct, the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 would have the same sensor, but the Nexus 5 camera housing has the additional parts needed for OIS. In case I wasn't clear in my last post, the Nexus 5, like the LG G2, has hardware OIS where the camera moves to adjust to quick movement (IE, shaking).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones