• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Launcher (User Interface) Guide (Stock vs. Aftermarket) Rooting not required

There's now a MIUI launcher out for those that want to try it out without rooting their phone.

Got a link?

As for reviews mentioning the stock UI, I fully understand why they do even if a lot of users will end up replacing it. Simply, for every user who does replace it, there's probably at least one who won't. Some people don't want to spend hours customizing their phone, they just want to load their contacts, put up a new wallpaper of their kids or their dog, and go. They don't care about 200+ clock skins, weather options, chat programs, etc. They want the phone to just work.

Yeah, those people could just buy an iPhone, but a) we want people to experience the joy of Android, and b) if you're on Sprint or T-mo (in the US, at least) that's not an option. So, reviewers have to talk about the stock UI... and it's in everyone's interest that manufacturers put on functional and attractive ones so non-modders are happy and help Android thrive. :)

Upvote 0
Got a link?

As for reviews mentioning the stock UI, I fully understand why they do even if a lot of users will end up replacing it. Simply, for every user who does replace it, there's probably at least one who won't. Some people don't want to spend hours customizing their phone, they just want to load their contacts, put up a new wallpaper of their kids or their dog, and go. They don't care about 200+ clock skins, weather options, chat programs, etc. They want the phone to just work.

Yeah, those people could just buy an iPhone, but a) we want people to experience the joy of Android, and b) if you're on Sprint or T-mo (in the US, at least) that's not an option. So, reviewers have to talk about the stock UI... and it's in everyone's interest that manufacturers put on functional and attractive ones so non-modders are happy and help Android thrive. :)
MIUI Style Launcher Localized And Compatible With All Devices [Download]

There you go.

Reactions: Citizen Coyote
Upvote 0

Got a link?

There's now a MIUI launcher out for those that want to try it out without rooting their phone.

Added to list in first post.

Upvote 0
Can someone answer a couple of silly questions for me about LauncherPro?
1- When I hold down the home button, prior to LauncherPro it would pull up my recently used apps & I could even choose to view all apps. After LauncherPro, all it does is take me back to my home screen.
2- The "search" button (magnifying glass) no longer has a function.

Is there something I can do in my settings to make those like they were or am I just s.o.l.?

Upvote 0
Can someone answer a couple of silly questions for me about LauncherPro?
1- When I hold down the home button, prior to LauncherPro it would pull up my recently used apps & I could even choose to view all apps. After LauncherPro, all it does is take me back to my home screen.
2- The "search" button (magnifying glass) no longer has a function.

Is there something I can do in my settings to make those like they were or am I just s.o.l.?

1) Holding down the home button should still pull up your most recently used apps. I honestly don't know why that's happening for you. I do it all the time. You can, however, change the behavior when you tap on the home button.

2) Search button should still work. Brings up google search for me.

I honestly don't know what is happening with your setup. What I'd suggest is downloading home smack, switch to the motorola launcher and see if everything is working okay. If it's not working with the Motorola launcher, something might be wrong with your actual phone.

If it's working okay, switch back to launcher pro to see if the functions go away or work just like the motorola launcher. If that doesn't work, go into the preferences menu (while using Launcher Pro) and Restart Launcher Pro. If that doesn't fix it, uninstall Launcher Pro and then re-install.

Upvote 0
drexappeal asked me to post this here since he has the themes I'm using in the OP. This is a good example of what ADW Launcher is capable of.

Overall I spent about $5 to $8 buying all the themes and apps to make this work and it was worth it. Mariux (Live wallpaper, overall theme, keyboard theme) allows Bill to Account for purchase. The guys that made Smart Keyboard Pro didn't.

I'd really recommend the pro version of Smart Keyboard if you want this or other themes for it. The Trial doesn't have access to the autocorrect/learning dictionary settings, and only autocorrects compound words like 'its' to 'it's' etc.

Home Screens (From far left to far right)
vdJiyv.png

3S5AKR.png

aSjNqO.png

vq1A8C.png

XK4kjb.png

Keyboards:
OEj8RH.png

App Drawer:
Yta2Yq.png

Themes:

ADW Launcher
- ADW Theme Glow Legacy Red Pro - Mariux
- Glow Legacy Live Wallpaper Red - Mariux
- Smart Keyboard Pro
- Glow Legacy Red Keyboard Skin - Mariux

Apps used:

L5:
Business Calendar Free (4x4)

L4:
-TasKiller Free
--4x1 Task Bar, 1st Row
--2x1 Mini Task Bar, 2nd Row, Centered
--TasKiller App Icon, 2nd Row, Align Right
-Zedge Ringtones & Wallpapers

Home:
-3D Digital Weather Clock
-BatteryLife
-Google Books
-Stock Calculator
-Contacts
-Camera
-Youtube
-Stock Browser

R1:
-Stock 4G Toggle
-Stock 4G Scan
-Stock Bluetooth Toggle
-Stock WiFi Toggle
-Texts
-Market
-Stock Gallery
-Google Maps

R2:
-Google Web Search Bar w/ Voice
-Stock Music Bar

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
drexappeal asked me to post this here since he has the themes I'm using in the OP. This is a good example of what ADW Launcher is capable of.

Overall I spent about $5 to $8 buying all the themes and apps to make this work and it was worth it. Mariux (Live wallpaper, overall theme, keyboard theme) allows Bill to Account for purchase. The guys that made Smart Keyboard Pro didn't.

I'd really recommend the pro version of Smart Keyboard if you want this or other themes for it. The Trial doesn't have access to the autocorrect/learning dictionary settings, and only autocorrects compound words like 'its' to 'it's' etc.

Home Screens (From far left to far right)

Keyboards:

App Drawer:

Themes:

ADW Launcher
- ADW Theme Glow Legacy Red Pro - Mariux
- Glow Legacy Live Wallpaper Red - Mariux
- Smart Keyboard Pro
- Glow Legacy Red Keyboard Skin - Mariux

Apps used:

L5:
Business Calendar Free (4x4)

L4:
-TasKiller Free
--4x1 Task Bar, 1st Row
--2x1 Mini Task Bar, 2nd Row, Centered
--TasKiller App Icon, 2nd Row, Align Right
-Zedge Ringtones & Wallpapers

Home:
-3D Digital Weather Clock
-BatteryLife
-Google Books
-Stock Calculator
-Contacts
-Camera
-Youtube
-Stock Browser

R1:
-Stock 4G Toggle
-Stock 4G Scan
-Stock Bluetooth Toggle
-Stock WiFi Toggle
-Texts
-Market
-Stock Gallery
-Google Maps

R2:
-Google Web Search Bar w/ Voice
-Stock Music Bar

That looks sick! Thanks for posting those screenshots up.

Upvote 0
You should snip the pictures from your quote, bro. Heh.

But yeah. I love it. I vowed that once I got a top market smartphone I'd Tron it. Originally it was going to be a Sensation, since I was with T-Mobile, but then Radioshack announced they were dropping T-Mobile to get Verizon, so I switched to Sprint to get my dealer plan.

Even the ringtone is the theme from Tron Legacy.

Though, in my inability to find a good Tron notification ringtone, I use the good old standby ! from Metal Gear Solid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones