• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Launcherpro has expired issue

FrankieGenius

Sep 14, 2010
Today when I switched on my phone I get a message telling me that Launcherpro has expired and that. I must got to the website to download an updated version. When I select the browser I am then taken to a web page called Gator Hosting. I can not get to my home screen when I press the home button and I always get taken to this Gator Hosting page. I can not access any apps or my phone settings, or do anything with the phone except browse the web. Is there a fix for this? I desperately need to get my phone back. Is this an issue with Launcherpro or is it some kind of virus? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
FrankieGenius

Thanks Rosered,
unfortunately I can not do anything with the phone except browse the net. I can not access my homepage to even switch to ADW. My home button just takes me to the browser and I get taken to this Gator Hosting page. Alas, my phone is not so smart right now.... its practically useless. Fortunately, I'm not ready to throw the towel in on my X10 yet since I believe this to be an app/software issue.

Cheers,
FrankieGenius

Upvote 0
When you click the home button does it take you to the browser instantly? If not you may have time to click Home -> Menu -> Settings and then go to manage applications and remove the defaults for launcher pro which will then give you the option to select the launcher when you press the home button.

Unfortunately, I get taken straight to the browser, so no option to select home - >menu -> settings, though I did try.

Upvote 0
This worked for me and my friend. Check out this XDA link:
xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] Launcher pro bricked my phone

Enter this into your phone browser:
market://search?q=pname:eek:rg.adw.launcher

crazy emoticon - is should be pname : org (you'll need to take out the spaces)

Click on the second result in the search. It takes you to the market link for ADW so you can install it from there. Since you're in the market though you can get into the downloads section and update LauncherPro if you still want to stick with it.

Reactions: FrankieGenius
Upvote 0
Nice one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyers02
Thanks for the suggestion. Looked around there and found I'm not the only one w/ the problem. Someone said go to http://launcherpro.com/market.html and that took me to the market where I could d/l the newest version. Problem solved!.

Thanks X10iUser,

That was the actual post I was referring to which helped me, but I didn't know how to link a quote from a different forum using just my phone.

Upvote 0
Looks like this issue has gone pretty international and widespread - How to Stop LauncherPro from Bricking Your Phone

Reports have been cropping up across the net that our favorite Android launcher, LauncherPro, has been rendering some devices unusable. Here's how to fix the problem. It isn't quite clear yet who exactly is being affected by these problems—it may only be folks that haven't updated LauncherPro in a while, or it may be affecting only users that haven't bought the pro version. What we do know is this: versions of LauncherPro, for some reason, expire after a certain date, and yesterday was that day for many people. When it expires, it takes over your phone and won't let you perform any action except enter the browser to download a new version. The problem is, LauncherPro's mobile site is down and thus not loading in the browser, so people weren't able to update LauncherPro. And, since they were stuck in the browser, they couldn't make phone calls, uninstall the program, or do anything else but stare at a blank page.

Upvote 0
I am ready to pull my hair out. People are writing about uninstalling the launcherpro app from the manage applications but it has locked up my phone so that I can't even get to my system settings. It will only let me go that page. Can't call out, check email or send messages. It only tells me to go to the oauncherpro.com page to upgrade but when I go there it takes me to a site and then locks up. What can I do?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones